TECH TALK - ask your technical car questions

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: TECH TALK - ask your technical car questions

Post by boganbusman »

Jopuma wrote:What about an 89 Mustang GT SE Convertable for $1.5k? :)

Or a 98 Mustang for $3?
Another tip: Don't buy a Mustang.

If you just want to get from A to B, buy a Corolla or Starlet. If you want something a bit more fun than that, buy a Civic.
Something bigger? Camry. Sportier? Celica/Integra. Heavy duty? Hilux.

In your situation, Japanese and four cylinder is the way to go. Korean cars are junk, Euro is too expensive, and American is also junk (although parts will be easy to get). And don't worry about which cars are quicker . . . all cars can go fast if you drive them fast.
Last edited by boganbusman on 03 Apr 2008, 09:06, edited 1 time in total.
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

steelsnake00 wrote: Or you could just buy a car built to take the engine in the first place and save yourself a whole ton of hassle :roll:.
People on this forum, eh? Either 13 or scraping the barrel when it comes to intelligence. Though there are some worthwhile people here :P
What's the problem with being 13? YOU were 13 once...
oh snap
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Striker94 wrote:What's the problem with being 13? YOU were 13 once...
It's just that 13 year-olds should be seen and not heard :wink:
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

:cry:

not
oh snap
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

I had you pegged down as older :P

But yet again, Bogan is right. If you can afford to go Euro, I would, but that's just because to me VW's, Audi's and BMW's have become somewhat of a way of life and I think they are often the most solid feeling, if not the most solid, cars for the money.

But in the US it's much cheaper to buy Jap. Avoid ready modified Civics because they've usually been ragged half to death, and you don't want that in a car.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

boganbusman wrote:
Jopuma wrote:What about an 89 Mustang GT SE Convertable for $1.5k? :)

Or a 98 Mustang for $3?
Another tip: Don't buy a Mustang.

If you just want to get from A to B, buy a Corolla or Starlet. If you want something a bit more fun than that, buy a Civic.
Something bigger? Camry. Sportier? Celica/Integra. Heavy duty? Hilux.

In your situation, Japanese and four cylinder is the way to go. Korean cars are junk, Euro is too expensive, and American is also junk (although parts will be easy to get). And don't worry about which cars are quicker . . . all cars can go fast if you drive them fast.
I can always trust you with car tips. :)

Hmm...all of those suggestions are very good. I might search for a Civic. Since those are pretty common and whatnot I'm sure if something breaks a replacement will be hella easy to find. I think getting a nice durable Japanese car would be the best choice for a first car. Though I would really like to find (whether in good condition or in need of major restoration) a 69 Camaro or 70 Charger. Gas guzzlers but fun to drive, rugged, and very fast (according to my dad who actually owned a 69 Camaro and 70 Charger before).

I found a very nice 92 Honda Civic CX Hatchback. Only $2,300. It's black, manual tranny, 193k miles, CD player, alloy wheels (I'm guessing they're not the stock rims). Since I'm getting a job my dad said it would be perfectly fine if I bought a car on my own as a car during highschool.

He said when I graduate though, he's going to buy me a brand new car, like an EVO X or a Mazda 3 (hatchback or sedan). :shock: That sorta surprised me considering he never did that with my brother or sister.
chimpzrl
Drift King
Drift King

Post by chimpzrl »

The younger ones always get spoiled.
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

get that civic its very good. if you ever consider making it into a track car its already practically stripped of the major amenities all it needs is more power
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

chimpzrl wrote:The younger ones always get spoiled.
Sometimes, but that's not the case. He explained to me that he'll buy it up front and both of us would make payments on it. Then once it's completely owned I pay him back all the money he paid for it. Then it would be completely mine. Not bad for a brand new EVO X. 8)
viper16 wrote:get that civic its very good. if you ever consider making it into a track car its already practically stripped of the major amenities all it needs is more power
I plan on slapping on some mods when I get up the money for 'em. Some engine upgrades, some visuals, and redoing some of the interior (specifically audio) will make it one killer Civic. Then as the finishing touch I can buy a Hand Grenade shifter knob. :lol:
Last edited by Jopuma on 03 Apr 2008, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

An Lancer Evolution X, or just a new Lancer? Evos are expensive. :|
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

xHaZxMaTx wrote:An Lancer Evolution X, or just a new Lancer? Evos are expensive. :|
When I went to the autoshow it was the Lancer Evo X I sat in and it was only $13k.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

That's bullcrap. A 2008 Lancer (Not an Evo) is $30,000.
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

Orly? The EVO GSR is $30k. A regular Lancer (ES or DE) is is almost twice as cheap. I misplaced the names. I figured the names Lancer and EVO could be interchangeable.

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/NewCars/PricingR ... turerId=34

Manuals are so much cheaper than Automatics. And those links are Blue Book prices. :P
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Ah, I see what I did. I went to Mitsubishi's website and looked up prices, there. I apparently wasn't paying attention and selected the Lancer Evo, instead of just the Lancer. Woops. :P

Anywho, Lancer /= Evo.
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

Jop as far as visual mods are you talking about thishttp://www.asapbathurst.com/carstuff%5C ... _FRONT.JPG or this http://www.tunerzine.com/view_article/c ... reet-civic. please keep it JDM like the second one. just get a carbon fiber lip,hood,trunk, and duckbill spoiler. NO BODYKITS
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Man that first civic is UBER RICE!...

aah as the VW people would say:

UNPIMP ZE AUTO
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

viper16 wrote:Jop as far as visual mods are you talking about thishttp://www.asapbathurst.com/carstuff%5C ... _FRONT.JPG or this http://www.tunerzine.com/view_article/c ... reet-civic.
Both somewhat.
viper16 wrote:please keep it JDM like the second one. just get a carbon fiber lip,hood,trunk, and duckbill spoiler. NO BODYKITS
Isn't that for me to decide what I want on my car and what I don't want on my car? I'm not going to mod it to YOUR standards, ok? Good. Now that you understand don't lecture me on "get JDM parts ONLY". I could even make it look like this if I wanted.

But I'm not one for ugly cars so it's not ever going to look like that.
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

i just said that so your car is not one of the many destroyed ricers
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

I have seen enough shiznitty cars in games and real life to know what not to make a car look like. :roll:
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

viper16 wrote:i just said that so your car is not one of the many destroyed ricers
JDM != Perfect
JDM ~ Ricer
JDM < Euro-look

;)
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

steelsnake00 wrote:
I had you pegged down as older :P

But yet again, Bogan is right. If you can afford to go Euro, I would, but that's just because to me VW's, Audi's and BMW's have become somewhat of a way of life and I think they are often the most solid feeling, if not the most solid, cars for the money.

But in the US it's much cheaper to buy Jap. Avoid ready modified Civics because they've usually been ragged half to death, and you don't want that in a car.
Is that supposed to be a good thing? Or bad?
oh snap
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Jopuma wrote:I plan on slapping on some mods when I get up the money for 'em. Some engine upgrades, some visuals, and redoing some of the interior (specifically audio) will make it one killer Civic. Then as the finishing touch I can buy a Hand Grenade shifter knob. :lol:
I have no problem with you putting on visuals/audio or whatever, but don't waste your money on engine mods. Unless you go turbo, you are not going to get any decent power increases. A cold air intake, exhaust system, and stuff like that will gain about three and a half horsepower.

Save that cash and use it for servicing. A Civic in good condition will outperfom a crappy Civic with mild performance mods, and will be much more pleasant to drive.

Edit: also maybe you should look for something with a bit less than 193k miles.
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

193k? wow, that car's got a history all right
oh snap
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

boganbusman wrote: I have no problem with you putting on visuals/audio or whatever, but don't waste your money on engine mods. Unless you go turbo, you are not going to get any decent power increases. A cold air intake, exhaust system, and stuff like that will gain about three and a half horsepower.

Save that cash and use it for servicing. A Civic in good condition will outperfom a crappy Civic with mild performance mods, and will be much more pleasant to drive.

Edit: also maybe you should look for something with a bit less than 193k miles.
I agree that you should make servicing your car more of a priority than modding it. But if the car is in good shape, I don't see a problem in buying small mods like an intake/headers/exhaust. They might not make 10+ horsepower like they say, but it's still noticeable. More throttle response, better sound, etc. And if you don't have $3k+ for a full turbo kit, buying mods like that are fun, especially if you're bored with your car. I'd buy those over visual or audio mods myself...

And any Japanese car around here less than $3k will most likely have 170k miles at least...
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

My dad's car has 200k+ on his and he bought some of those Pulse Plugs to replace his 4-pin spark plugs. He said there was an instant difference in power. The sound was much different than before too.

His car is an 87 Corolla FX16. Somewhat rare cars, but very sporty and fun to drive.

Not his, but you get the point.

Return to “The Cars”