Noob question, what are the sockets on motherboards

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
NFSBLUECIVIC
Professional
Professional

Noob question, what are the sockets on motherboards

Post by NFSBLUECIVIC »

ok, so on motherboards, they have different sockets, examples, socket A, socket 370, socket 478 socket 754 socket 775, socket 939, what do the different ones mean? s the max gigahertz they cn support or something?
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Different sockets for different CPU's. They are physically different (the number being the amount of pinholes on the socket and of course pins on the cpu chip) so if one has a socket 939 motherboard you also must get a socket 939 cpu; other cpu types will not fit.
NFSBLUECIVIC
Professional
Professional

Post by NFSBLUECIVIC »

ok thanx, i am thinking of building a pc, and lookin at different parts, but i am giong to get a motherboard that comes with a processor anyway so i dont really have to worry about sockets, another question, do i have to buy heatsink for processor separate? because when i look at pictures of motherboard/processor package i dont see a heatsink but i see a HUGE one on my home one.
EDIT is the heatsink thingy just a cpu fan, like these?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... ?CatId=493&
Sir Ibi
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Sir Ibi »

The top part is the fan, and the big chunk of metal underneath it is a heatsink. New CPUs usually come with their own fan and heatsink.
NFSBLUECIVIC
Professional
Professional

Post by NFSBLUECIVIC »

ok, so if if got this motherboard
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... 7V400-2500
and this fan
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... =S457-1051
would it work, if not, any linkys to good fans that would work?
Sir Ibi
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Sir Ibi »

Doesn't the CPU come with a fan and heatsink? Maybe you can phone them up and ask them. The fan itself should be more then enough for your CPU
NFSBLUECIVIC
Professional
Professional

Post by NFSBLUECIVIC »

it doest look like it, (correct me if im wrong) click top link
The Gravedigger
Professional
Professional

Post by The Gravedigger »

wtf... hmm, I'll just leave this be
Last edited by The Gravedigger on 30 Dec 2005, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

The Gravedigger wrote:here is your answer :wink:
Did you recently join the n00b academy?

That's not the processor heatsink is it :roll:
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... 2&NoMapp=0

look at the bottom of the page.... Processor fan: Not included

that fan isn't bad. however, if you're going for cheapness, buy an ordinary heatsink+fan, it'll be much cheaper.
NFSBLUECIVIC
Professional
Professional

Post by NFSBLUECIVIC »

ok thanks prince, so the fan/heatsink combo will work with this motherboard?
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

i dont see why it shouldnt. it's a socket A heatsink, and you have a socket A processor.

just make sure you buy a power supply that has ample power to support it. it's got an LED, so it will use up more power than a regular fan. unless you're going to get a case that has a window, i wouldn't suggest an LED fan... what's the point in it?
NFSBLUECIVIC
Professional
Professional

Post by NFSBLUECIVIC »

ample power? you mean just a good amount of power? will this one work?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... u=D15-1015
and about the heatsink/fan, i was using it as an example, i will search for a good one more thouroughly when i build my comp.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

depending on what else you'll put in your computer, i'd suggest going with at least 350W.

and, since you are building a computer, might i suggest NOT buying the parts over the internet? you can sometimes get better deals at actual stores. i saved $100 when i bought my motherboard and processor
NFSBLUECIVIC
Professional
Professional

Post by NFSBLUECIVIC »

i know what you mean, but most of the computer stores around where i live are ripp-off places that dont know much, but i will check around to make shure, should i ask any other questions about building a pc or what i need for it, in this thread, or in the computer help thread?
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

if you have a fry's electronics nearby, you might want to hit that. i should warn you though, do your homework, and your research. they WILL try to hoodwink you. but fry's has the best deals on pretty much everything

you can post further questions in here, or in the computer help thread. i've never visited that thread, so i dont know if anyone there will be able to help you. but since it is a computer help thread, i seriously doubt that you wont get help.
NFSBLUECIVIC
Professional
Professional

Post by NFSBLUECIVIC »

ive never heard of that store, thaanx for the info tho, anyone have any good online sites or actual stores they recomend?
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

NFSBLUECIVIC wrote:ok, so if if got this motherboard
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... 7V400-2500
and this fan
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... =S457-1051
would it work, if not, any linkys to good fans that would work?

you better get a nice CPU fan or and not use a old one. i tried using my old celeron cpu fan on my ASUS deluxe baord and the CPU was so weak compared to the Board that it overheated to 101 degrees in a instant. i say you get a better CPU that would match the board's performance.
Sir Ibi
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Sir Ibi »

But the FAN he's looking at supports the CPU that he wants to buy, so whats the big deal. If it fails then its the retailers fault. The board itself should have either heatsink or fan attached to vital parts of the mobo if it needs it.
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

some fans arent powerful enough to cool the cpu down like mine did. but thats just me :lol:
Sir Ibi
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Sir Ibi »

maybe you forgot to plug it in :lol: I did that once when I was building my very first PC... I spent a good two hours thinking why my PC won't boot up, I almost smashed my mobo in frustration :lol:
NFSBLUECIVIC
Professional
Professional

Post by NFSBLUECIVIC »

Sir Ibi wrote:But the FAN he's looking at supports the CPU that he wants to buy, so whats the big deal. If it fails then its the retailers fault. The board itself should have either heatsink or fan attached to vital parts of the mobo if it needs it.
i didnt see it say anywhere about havng a fan with the motherbord, but i may be wrong.

Nother question, anyone have a link to or knows the basic/required parts to build a computer? hows this
case with power supply
motherboard and cpu-----cpu fan and heatsink (if not included)
dvd/cd drive
hard drive
ram
graphic card
sound card
network card (if needed)
mouse keyboard and monitor (speakers optional)
what else? o yea and do i need to buy any wires/cables that arent included, like power cables and the ribbin ones that connect to your hard drive and disk(s\) drives.
im no pro, so please correct me if im wrong.
Also do i need screws for parts or do they come with them?
Sir Ibi
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Sir Ibi »

If the motherboard needs a fan or some sort of cooling, it will come with it attached on the motherboard. You don't have to worry about that.

Screwes, cables and all the bits and bob will come with the parts themselves, if you are buying new products at least. You should have some tools ready tho, like small screwdrivers and some sort of lid where you can put the screws so you don't lose them, trust me, you will be grateful ...

* When building your PC make sure you have plenty of space away from anything that will produce static electricty, i.e. carpet is a BIG NO NO....
* Most of your products should come in a anti-static bag, make sure you alwasy keep them inside it.
* Before you handle the circuit boards, be sure to remove static from your body. You can do this by touching a piece of earth, like the inside of the case, or buy an anti-static wrist band.
* Handle your products, such as sound/graphics card. CPU and motherboard by the edge, avoid touching the pins and the circuits.
* Read the manuals of your product before you dive in

And finally, good luck :D
NFSBLUECIVIC
Professional
Professional

Post by NFSBLUECIVIC »

thank you very much sir ibi, greatly appreciated, btw have you ever built a pc? i wont be building one for about a month or half a month, well just as soon as i can get enought money for all the parts, ill probobly buy the motherboard/cpu combo, case, cooling, and ram first.
hey hows this case look eh?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... u=D15-1015
Sir Ibi
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Sir Ibi »

no probs, but I suggest you do some research on the net about building PC. There's plenty of good advice out there. Just pop down somat in google. And yes I have built PCs before (three altogether :lol: ) Oh and I've almost forgot you'll need to get yourself a copy of an OS - like Windows XP, which you'll have to buy together with a piece of hardware (that's Microsoft's conditions).

Return to “The Hardware & Software”