Suggestions for a Hp Computer

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
TheNoobofFerraris
Professional
Professional

Suggestions for a Hp Computer

Post by TheNoobofFerraris »

Alright, I'm not sure what model my Computer is but it is a HP. Its very basic and it was provided for school but I'm allowed to add things to it and its pretty brand new. (Got it in October) I was wondering, do you guys have any suggestions for new RAM, Memory, and A good graphics card? My cousin is coming home soon and he knows exactly waht I will need and he will install it, but I was wondering what you guys think I should get?

I have about a 300-450 budget for the 3 pieces.
(One more thing, I need a good download accelerator too, all this stuff is to make my computer better, and I need about 512 ram and some good graphics and memory for a game called WoW)

"World of Warcraft"

Thanks alot for your help,

`...:::NF:::...`
Seems like this website is a ghost town. No longer worth a visit or anyone's time.
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

1) Upgrade to at least 1 GB of RAM ... Sounds like you have less than 512 MB now, so add a full GB as it'll be cheaper ...

2) We have no idea what slots you have in your computer, so we can't recommend a graphics card until you provide us with that information. Also, odds are you'll need a power supply upgrade because HP generally doesn't provide very powerful power supplies.

3) RAM = Memory

4) Don't use download accelerators ... In my experience, they don't work very well unless you have dial-up, take up resources, and some of them have spyware.
^Sparco^
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by ^Sparco^ »

CPU: AMD 3200+ ----> 160$
RAM = Memory: 1Gb ----> 100$
Graphics card: Gforce 6600GT ----> 140$

You will probably need a new mainboard, the PC store dude will guide you. A normal one costs about 70$

Prices are orientative.
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

^Sparco^ wrote:CPU: AMD 3200+ ----> 160$

You will probably need a new mainboard, the PC store dude will guide you. A normal one costs about 70$
its pretty brand new. (Got it in October)
It probably has a decent CPU, so I don't think that will require an upgrade ...
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

^Sparco^ wrote:CPU: AMD 3200+ ----> 160$
if you do want to buy a new motherboard, ask the store clerk for combo deals. i saved $100 dollars buying my AMD Athlon64 3000+ with a motherboard combo :D
^Sparco^ wrote:RAM = Memory: 1Gb ----> 100$
BestBuy often has killer deals on RAM. both my 512MB RAM sticks cost virtually nothing. They were on sale for $35 each, with a mail-in rebate of $35 on each. i just had to pay the tax :D
EuroRacer
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EuroRacer »

Install and run Everest Home Edition (it's not being released anymore but the link provides you with the version of 5/12/2005 so it's new enough)

It'll give you some info about your PC's mainboard, processor, memory, etc. Please post the info(processor type, amount of memory, mainboard type, graphics card, etc.) so we have an idea of what your pc looks like, which will make us able to decide what needs to be upgraded :wink:

Like Jmac already said most brand computers (Hp, Compaq, Packard Bell, etc) have a fast processor. This has a simple reason: more Ghz = more sales, many people think the clock speed is the only important speed indication, which is not true ofcourse. To keep the prices down these companies tend to give their computers not enough memory and a slow graphics card, but they do make sure it has a big hard drive, because many people also think that bigger hard drives make your computer make your pc faster :roll: Boy are they wrong... So I think you'll need more memory and a new graphics card, let's see if I'm right :wink:
Drewb99
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Drewb99 »

What model HP is it?
bashderq
Valued Member
Valued Member

Re: Suggestions for a Hp Computer

Post by bashderq »

TheNoobofFerraris wrote:Alright, I'm not sure what model my Computer is but it is a HP.
Though I must agree with Drewb99; if you cant tell us what model it is, there's not much we can say or do
TheNoobofFerraris
Professional
Professional

Well I'm looking on it to see, the MONITOR Model is a "Hp 11506" and I have 224 RAM Sadly.

Can somebody give an example of a Hp model name? I think I found it but I'm not sure if it is really it.
Seems like this website is a ghost town. No longer worth a visit or anyone's time.
^yodack^
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by ^yodack^ »

mine is a hp pavilion a735w
EuroRacer
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EuroRacer »

Well I'm looking on it to see, the MONITOR Model is a "Hp 11506" and I have 224 RAM Sadly.
This means you have 256MB Ram of which 32MB (256-224) are shared video memory, which means that you have onboard graphics.

You'll deflinately need more memory (1024MB would be best) and for gaming you should also consider a graphics card, Probably an AGP card, but I'm not sure. If you want to know what processor you've got, right-click the My Computer logo on your desktop and click Properties, your processor should be mentioned somewhere underneath the 'Computer:' label.
^yodack^
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by ^yodack^ »

this isn't for me...he asked for an example of a model name, but thanks cuz i need to upgrade my RAM
Drewb99
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Drewb99 »

TheNoobofFerraris wrote:Well I'm looking on it to see, the MONITOR Model is a "Hp 11506" and I have 224 RAM Sadly.

Can somebody give an example of a Hp model name? I think I found it but I'm not sure if it is really it.
It'l say 'Pavillion numbernumbernumberlettersletters. It's a plastic badge on the front.
EuroRacer
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EuroRacer »

this isn't for me...he asked for an example of a model name, but thanks cuz i need to upgrade my RAM
:lol: I wasn't even qouting you, I was quoting TheNoobofFerraris... ;)
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Skip the $200 extra price tag and go for a Dell. (At Best Buy :lol: )
korge
EuroRacer
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EuroRacer »

korge wrote:Skip the $200 extra price tag and go for a Dell. (At Best Buy :lol: )
Dell doesn't get sold in stores... :wink:
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

Definitely add another 1 GB stick of RAM ...

Now, if you could get us a model number/system specs, we could give you advice on the rest ...
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

korge wrote:Skip the $200 extra price tag and go for a Dell. (At Best Buy :lol: )
you're like a Best Buy salesman, lol
Drewb99
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Drewb99 »

Jmac- wrote:Definitely add another 1 GB stick of RAM ...

Now, if you could get us a model number/system specs, we could give you advice on the rest ...
If the stick doesn't use the same timings as the existing ram it'l cause more problems than it solves.
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

I can honestly say that I've never experienced any problems adding memory that didn't have the same timings ...
TheNoobofFerraris
Professional
Professional

Man its late and I'm tired and I don't see anything. I found something but I don't think it will help.

"Hp Dx5150 FF" :oops: Sorry guys, I'll look in the morning.

Return to “The Hardware & Software”