All out war: England Vs America - Who makes the better cars?

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing

American Or British??

British
76%
American
24%

Total votes: 17

Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

All out war: England Vs America - Who makes the better cars?

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

Right, it was only a matter of time before this one was up. Ive found myself arguing with a lot of ignorant americans recently about so called 'muscle' cars. Ive always been led to believe that, stock against stock, you cant beat a 'good old' muscle car. well, this is wrong. ive been loking at stats recently for a 1970 Dodge challenger R/T. 0-60 5.5 seconds, 1/4 mile: 13.9 seconds, produces 425bhp and maxes out at 146mph. Now while ill admit this is fast for the time it was produced, its not fast enough to beat a stock supra turbo for example, despite what these people will argue. 1996 Mk4 Supra tt: 0-60 5seconds, 1/4 mile: 13.6 seconds, produces 326bhp.

And as for design, well, american cars have never been pretty, lets face it. the two pinnacles of american design have both infact been british. Firstly, the cobra. originally called the AC ace, later a bristol engine was put in to make it faster. caroll shelby (at the time just finished racing for ferrari) saw the ace, and decided to buy the patent, following this by putting a ford V8 lump under the bonnet. Secondly, the Ford GT40. At the time, ferrari were in a lot of financial trouble, and plans were going ahead for henry ford to buy the company, but the deal fell through. Henry ford was angry, and ordered his engineers to create something that would destroy ferrari at the le mans track. while ford created the engine, it was actually british engineers who designed and created the chassis and body shell. Even nowadays, America have never produced anything as beautiful as a TVR cerbera.

Anyway, the polls open, sorry for boring the sh*t out of you, but i wante to set a few things straight before voting got under way.
Attachments
rjjvqh000000qd82.jpg
(43.36 KiB) Downloaded 4304 times
facts2.jpg
(59.71 KiB) Downloaded 4304 times
1998_mclaren_f1_lm-1024x768.jpg
(187.35 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
UrQuattro
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by UrQuattro »

German !! !! !! ! ! ! ! !! ! ! ! ! !! ! :)

Add that option....

but anyhow, since it was your idea to put only US vs Brit, I choose brits, the E-Type, the Aston Martins, Lotus Elise/Esprit, TVR, Morgan Aero 8 (you heard me, i like the bozz eyed monster), and the Caterham 7 I can remeber any time of day... Americans - well, I KNOW for a fact that before the oil crisis in the 70's, the old generation US cars weren't bad at all, innovative designs and so on... Stingray Corvette, Hemi Cuda, GT40... But it's all gone now, and we have NEW EDGE Cadillacs... Sorry, the Brits stand out (even though the Germans arey buying them out - easy there now, Grez!!).

Audi is the best.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

lol :D
viper_gts
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper_gts »

it's hard to define "what's the best car"........what do you go on? personal opinion or facts?

anyway..........i have a very wide variety of cars i like.

but on a side note............these kind of topics are a breeding ground for flame wars so, it will stay open as long it stays civil and sensible.

FLAME WARS (especially muscle vs rice)
WILL NOT BE TOLERATED ON THIS SITE.

sorry for taking such a harsh stance, but i have a very strong view on these topics and have saw alot of sites thrown into all out war because of them.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

i see your point, but its more of a debate than a flame war. I agree though if it gets too much to close it
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

I love Moscle Cars, but I have to choose British, because I have to admit that a XK8 Jaguar Supercharged is really beautifull.
MasterMind
Ricer
Ricer

Post by MasterMind »

It's really like comparing apples and oranges, because most of the cars that come out in the US are SUVs and pick-ups, tailored to the rugged, powerful, American spirit. I'm sure that if the US had as many companies that were concerned with just making sports cars (as Britian and Germany do), this would be a whole different argument. British cars are better because they have companies that just make fast, stylish cars. You don't see an Aston Martin SUV, but Lexus has one.
UrQuattro
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by UrQuattro »

well, master mind, you can't be too sure about an Aston Martin SUV these days... I am serious, after Porsche and Mazeratti who the hell knows. Those companies stupidly created a new market niche, and there's always somebody who'll buy a jacked up super porsche ('And this is for you Honey'!)... I am scared of the thought that luxuray sports brand makes will join the trend.

BTW, a cadillac SUV was out of the quiestion 15 years ago. Now you guys are driving them!
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

oh my god, the porsche cayenne....what have they done???? :cry: :cry: :cry:
UrQuattro
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by UrQuattro »

yeah, but it's rediculous. It's a truck that's faster than almost anything outhere on the road... That's just scary as hell, i had one (not like therez a lot of 'em around) pass me on a road doing some 160km/h or more - during snow and bad visibility. Crap.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

looks like a tall 911, but stretched so all beauty is gone lol
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

I think it not even a contest....

what did the us make the decade? .......... NON

talking about stylefull sportscars not SUVs

btw LEXUS isn't American..... it's Japanese it's a part of the Toyota corporation..... sorry

the brits just make the most stylefull sporstcars, just look at the Vanquish.....
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

I like this guy^^ :lol: lol (not in a gay way before any sarcastic people put something like that) :lol:
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

I wonder who is the 1 who voted for the American car.... :o

must be a real patriotic guy... :D

I fyou would vote somethin like that... :lol:
UrQuattro
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by UrQuattro »

here is a pic I thought I'd share - new Jag... not bad, eh? BTW, it's a BRITISH JAGUAR MADE BY AMERICAN FORD & Rocketsports Racing

Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

pretty cool, oh and btw, love the new sig paco :)
UrQuattro
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by UrQuattro »

Thanks! I just noticed I put the GOLF with the wrong fat bodykit!!! I'm an idiot, will have to rework that! :) And yeah, the jag is sweet, even though there's too much carbon and it's a convertable (the worst part IMO).
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

that's a real nice Jag...

but the CF is just TO much!

IMO
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

just look at that 2 peeps voted for the US... LOL...

happy not everybody thinks the same... makes the world boring... LOL :lol:

Return to “The Cars”