Will you be a street racer when you grow up?

Serious discussions on matters not covered by other boards. The un-serious type of users should refer to the Can of Spam.

Would you want to street race when you grow up?

Course I would
25%
No way! Mommy!
26%
Meh, maybe
49%

Total votes: 73

baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Re: Will you be a street racer when you grow up?

Post by baumaxx1 »

I'd stick to the track... don't risk jail, much safer, less chance of damaging your ride, faster, proper comps for proper money and sponsorship.

Also... the amount of people dying street racing or having lifelong injuries... not worth it at all. People close to me have been killed/maimed, so it's not good to hear someone might not make it through the night... So I don't want to make others feel the same.
Last edited by baumaxx1 on 07 Feb 2008, 00:50, edited 1 time in total.
TS-X
Drift King
Drift King

Post by TS-X »

Street racer... NO!

Because i dont have good opinnion about that... its kinda childish, unmature thing. I mean... i know i wont ride my DB9 into some kind of races :D
[S]izzLe
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by [S]izzLe »

me a street racer..maybe only if the fact is that its controlled with officals..other than that no!!! i rather get some 'YEah" than do that
*sig deleted for being too big. limits are 550x120px & 50kb*
SKYLINEHUNTER55
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by SKYLINEHUNTER55 »

It could produce you to become a dangerous driver or even worse!
User deactivated: Keeps on reviving old topics and going off-topic in them after many many warnings.
gabster25
Ricer
Ricer

Post by gabster25 »

I won't become a street racer..ill tune my car engine a bit maybe and just maybe doing some donuts (if ill get a RWD car).:lol: but yeah..its not worth it..theres no actual "showoff" as u may see in NFS games.. but i think everybody is a bit "racer" cuz ppl often wanna get faster and dont wanna spend time behind traffic.So,for me,NO.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Screw that, sure my future car may look cool, but the most street racing I'll be doing is dragging the odd Commonw***e at the traffic lights. Not much in it really, like baumaxx I'll stick to the track rather than the street. But I reckon even though it's more dangerous, the "risk=reward" factor of motorbikes is more my cup of tea. Even though I don't drink tea...
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

Anyone who reside in the USA hear about the street racing incident that killed 8 people? I live about 30 minutes from the highway it took place at. Its a sad tragic story and i hope the driver gets life in prison. Its bad enough he was street racing.. But to do it in a big heavy car like the Crown Victoria is just suicide
Fishwhiz
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Fishwhiz »

street racing? thats the racing of yesterday. rather play it safe on a controlled course then have to deal with cops, deaths, and bets.
xturbo
Professional
Professional

Post by xturbo »

Fishwhiz wrote:street racing? thats the racing of yesterday. rather play it safe on a controlled course then have to deal with cops, deaths, and bets.
Naa it depends how you do it and with who you do that. If you are racing with a bunch of guys you don't know and you have the "feel" those dudes are bad guys....well...stay away, get to your ride and leave the place....and if you know cops might come...don't do it and get out of there. Simple isn't it? That's called self-control. To know when to do something and when not to.

There are times and places to do streetracing...you mainly have to know who are you meeting and where.

Lately i've been thinking about it and i think closed circuits are way better options...but unfortunately there are enough of them around...and here in my damn country there are like 2-3 ones but they're too away from here.

Thats the main solution for towns and for the streetracers who are seeking safe environments...but what towns or cities aren't doing are the circuits because the expense of them is too high.

It has been told many many times that this could really solve the situation on streets..but what is exactly what police is doing? IMHO, motivating the ppl to keep racing on streets...

Idk if that was ok but we can discuss it as people as we are.
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

agree with baumaxx, if I do ever get into racing/tuning i'll most likely stay on the race track. However, maybe the quick sprint from the lights...
oh snap
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

xturbo wrote:
It has been told many many times that this could really solve the situation on streets..but what is exactly what police is doing? IMHO, motivating the ppl to keep racing on streets...
How do the Police motivate the people who streetrace?
I don't get it.
It's the city who has to make sure the illegal streetracing is stoped, by organizing legal races etc. the police doesn't do that, it's not their task.
xturbo
Professional
Professional

Post by xturbo »

At least here...ppl find it risky and risky means for them (not for me) having more fun. I totally disagree of course but I'm telling the situation around here and what some ppl like. It's obvious that police is a dangerous factor and can lead you to jail in a matter of minutes but some ppl like to have that dangerous and adrenaline factor....that's what I'm poiting to.
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

donaldgladden wrote:Anyone who reside in the USA hear about the street racing incident that killed 8 people? I live about 30 minutes from the highway it took place at. Its a sad tragic story and i hope the driver gets life in prison. Its bad enough he was street racing.. But to do it in a big heavy car like the Crown Victoria is just suicide

a bit of a late update, but i felt that the thread was dead so i didnt say anything but, the crown victoria that crashed into the crowd was racing another car, and the crown vic didnt have it's lights on. But the crazy thing about it is, uphead 2 race prepped cars were about to race for 10 grand and had just gotten finished doing thier burnouts which put up enough smoke to conceal the road, thus causing the Crown victoria to crash.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Here in Aus, or at least in my city, the cops pull over and find any possible means to defect P-plater cars, when what they SHOULD be doing is targeting the REAL dangerous drivers. Like the major accident on the backstreets which caused 3 teenagers to be killed and 2 critically injured. Speaking of which, police don't do enough patrolling of the outskirts of town here, which is where the major accidents occur because people are going too fast.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Koenigsegg_Rox wrote:Here in Aus, or at least in my city, the cops pull over and find any possible means to defect P-plater cars, when what they SHOULD be doing is targeting the REAL dangerous drivers.
P-platers are the real dangerous drivers, because they do stupid things to their cars and then proceed to drive them stupidly. Of course not all P-platers are like that, but the ones who get targeted are usually part of that crowd.

Apart from the bogans who drive Falcodores, everyone gets treated equally. More or less.
Be nice to the cops and they'll be nice to you.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Not to be "ageist" or anything but in Mount Gambier it's the elderly who do the dangerous driving around here because they don't know the rules. Here, there are a couple of p-platers that are absolutely stupid, but the rest aren't really doing anything wrong.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Elderly people are definitely dangerous, but for different reasons . . . like not being able to see.

I'm not trying to say that P-platers are the only culprits, but you're making it sound as if they're all "innocent".
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

If I'm making it sound like that I don't mean to, but I'm only speaking from the perspective of my town because I don't live anywhere else. Sure, anywhere else P-platers will generally be the human version of the devil on the road, but where I live, there are other drivers which cause most of the major accidents. Not P-platers.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Maybe that is because they are being pulled over so often, being followed by the police in general does make sure people follow the rules better.
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

I've only been to one full-on street race. It was pretty ridiculous. We were riding in my friend's STI at around midnight on a Saturday, and we saw a huge crew of cars all heading the same direction, conspicuous as can be. So figuring they were heading to a street race, we decided to follow. We followed for about 25 minutes into these rice fields just outside of town. There were probably 20 cars or so. This one Honda Prelude had its own pit crew... They had racing tires, a floor jack and everything. We just pulled off to the side and watched. It was pitch dark out there. And not one car driving by, unless they were there for the race. We tried talking to some of the guys there, and no one would carry a conversation with us, like they were suspicious of us or something. Everyone was a jerk. Cops in this town are a lot more concerned about crashing parties and finding drunk drivers downtown than anything else, especially on a Saturday at this time in a college town. So no one was worried about cops showing up. They were launching bottle rockets, fire crackers, all kinds of ridiculous stuff almost as if they were trying to bring attention to themselves.

So now about the cars and the races... It was mainly Hondas and Acuras. Lots of Civic hatchbacks, Integras, couple Preludes, etc. There was this red Integra, I never got a chance to look at it up close, but it didn't sound turbo'd or anything. It did about 6 runs in a row. He beat an Eclipse that sounded heavily modified twice. The guy in the Eclipse was a terrible driver. He would spin the tires every launch... Then the red 'Teg took on a turbo Civic and smoked it twice... Then it took on the Prelude with those racing tires, and smoked it twice. The Prelude seemed pretty stock inside and out though... Maybe an intake and headers but it seemed pretty stock. Not much quicker than mine. There was one SRT-4 there with an upgraded turbo, I could tell. The thing sounded mean. It took on this turbo'd Civic hatch and completely smoked it. There was a twin turbo Supra that showed up that I've seen around town before. It rolled up, did a burnout, made a run on its own, then split. Smart guy. Get in, make a run, get out. No problems. But yeah, after seeing the Supra and the SRT-4 run, we decided we've seen enough, and left. Pretty crazy. Cops could have followed them as easily as we did. All the cars met at a Carls Jr. in town and went from there. It was pretty dang obvious. I dunno how they get away with it...

Regarding the thread's question... I've taken on a few of my friend's cars on some back roads in my home town, but I don't think I'd ever race at a full-on street race like the one I just talked about. Those guys get way too serious. Bets, grudges, etc. Only reason I'd want to is to improve my skills in launching and shifting, which I could do somewhat safely in some empty back roads. Other than that, I'd much rather be using my steering wheel on a track. Too bad it costs so much money to get on track around here...
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

Zero260 wrote:We followed for about 25 minutes into these rice fields just outside of town.
:lol: Are you talking about real rice patty fields or parking lots full of riced cars?
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Porsche-AG wrote:
Zero260 wrote:We followed for about 25 minutes into these rice fields just outside of town.
:lol: Are you talking about real rice patty fields or parking lots full of riced cars?
LOL :lol:

I was thinking that...

On another note, I know I posted before as a 'Yes I would.' If It was possible, I'd change this now... my inner ricer has died. (:lol:)
Let me put it this way, I'm not going to risk my 60k Lancer Evo IX, to show some ricer in a Civic hatchback what a real car looks, or should I say RUNS like. :P
(Auctions and summer jobs FTW) :lol:

Now if my parents decide to stick me in some bucket when I turn 17 and get MY car, then I'll gladly screw the thing up in a race... :lol:
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

Lol, no, literally rice fields...
Outside of the town, there is just a bunch of farm land. The only thing around these back roads are giant rice fields.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Well heck, if it's farmland they want, I'm in ricer heaven! :lol:

(Sticks FTL) :|
Dizzi
Professional
Professional

Post by Dizzi »

id like to av a go at rally driving

Return to “General Discussion”