best cars for each type of race

2007 Need for Speed ProStreet
xromania
Stock
Stock

best cars for each type of race

Post by xromania »

if i want to pick grip car tier 1, for example (and to customize it) from my 60 career cars, where im looking in a car description?
The answer from you guys should be like that please:
GRIP- u need a car with more (less?) BHP and more RPM, or higher top speed or with the best 0-100 km/h
same questions for drag, drift, speed (but i dont see the difference between grip and speed races)

In a car description we can see that, for example:
top speed - 209
0-100 km/h - 5 sec
0-160km/h - 12 sec
drivertrain - all wheel drive (that matter about performance?)
horsepower 420 BHP @ 8,250 RPM
torque 429,256 NM @ 4,625 RPM
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Re: best cars for each type of race

Post by baumaxx1 »

Ok, BHP is the car's power... RPM range is when it's delivered. So, more power is better, but in grip, you'd want it delivered earlier for better response and acceleration coming out of corners. However, power is not everything, the torque is important for response, so the earlier it comes the better (up to a certain point of course). It is ideal that you tune for each track:
-open track w long straights: advance final drive & cam timing for more top speed on the longer straights.
- tight track w shorter straights: go for response by retarding cam timing and final drive. Don't go to extremes for either though... look at the revs you have coming out of corners and try to guesstimate where to set the cam timing so the torque is delivered at the right time.
(My grip cars from best to worst: R35 GTR, E46 M3, S13, S15 (not fully tuned))

Also, road surface effects performance... for smooth tracks, tighten the suspension, for rough ones, loosen it. (still keep it on the stiff side though)

Drive train does matter; FWD... not for later on in the game. AWD: great launch, good traction. RWD: Ideal for drag and necessary for drift. Gives the best handling, but can be a handful, less traction than AWD. However, cars with Part tine AWD are superior, like the R35 GTR. MR: Best weight distribution and handling, but tricky on the edge. Still can't match the AWD for traction.

Drag cars are a tricky art... RWD will yield the best times, but tuning is a pain; every car is different. ie... my mustang prefers top end grunt while my infinity relies on acceleration. The infinity G35 is a great drag car for me, capable of 410m wheelies and low 7s. However, it is ideal that you have two drag cars. 1 with lvl3 suspension for wheelies and one with lvl2 for speed, as lvl3 is uncontrollable in a normal race.
It's a lot of trial and error, but if the car accelerates slowly, retard cam timing, shorten final drive. If it revs quickly but is slow, raise final drive and cam timing. About gears, give yourself time to shift, set one where you start using nos and make sure that you stay in the power band from gear to gear, as a short then long ratio is not a good mix.

Drift is all about response, but higher speeds give better scores, so keep that in mind for open tracks. Also, set the rear of the car tighter with harder tyres. And the front with soft tyres for grip.
More tips on drift are here: http://forum.nfsunlimited.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15747
I have also written what works with techniques, which won me Drift king in a little AE86.

Speed is all about top speed, unlike grip cars. So longer final drive and advanced cam timing. However, don't go too much to the right as you need to build that speed, especially when sharing the road. Softer suspension than grip is also used as you want stability, not cornering.
So there's your difference. I use an R34 GTR, which is great at launch for jumping past opponents, builds up its speed quickly up to high 300s and is capable of 406km/h. I've had races in it with average speeds of 330km/h!

Hope this helps.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Another tip, don't use aftermarket suspension at all when it comes to Drag and Speed, they just unsettle the car and your car will total seemingly by itself. On speed my R34 has completely stock suspension and it doesn't catch any air at all, yet it has the same great response as per normal. With stock suspension on my Camaro it keeps perfectly straight the whole time down the 1/4, and I get mid 6s each time. Wheelies are a bit harder in it though, but with a perfect run full-track wheelies are possible. The other car I can recommend is the Ford GT.

For Grip, in terms of speed, the Viper SRT10 actually gains grip through high-speed corners rather than low speed, the 911 is a great all-rounder and Rudy Chen (AI)'s 911 can outrun my SRT10, but for grip the ultimate is the R35 GTR/Proto.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Oh... about the GTR, if you find it struggling, advance cam timing for more power, then lower gearing and final drive (the FD should suit the length of the main straight) to get great response.
It outbrakes RYOs lvl 4 evo, despite it's weight... where he ran into a wall, I broke later and made it easily sliding around the bend. It outcorners his car... which is where I gain on him, overtake, lose him and boy is it fun to slide round tight hairpins! And out accelerates his car out of corners due to the better response from the bigger engine and more relaxed tuning.
Also, the first RYO drift event I had to use AKI's Rx7, but the second drift track was for the 86 to dominate.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

I have decided that the 911 is officially the best grip car. Combined with human intelligence, I absolutely smoke everyone no matter which track I'm on. And in Ryo's Time Attack I can beat his best time by 5-6 secs... on my first lap...

Return to “ProStreet”