Talk about NFS - SHIFT

2009 Need for Speed SHIFT
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Re: Talk about NFS - SHIFT

Post by Summ »

^No, that means that either my fps problem is interfering or the EA have yet to learn the meaning of the word 'gradual'. Almost feels like a frigging button! Either on or off! I'm messing about on the same track, seeing if I can get a feeing, but it's hopeless at these fps!

Momo wheels are nice. They can be used in all other games and offer a way better sensation than keyboard.
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

Hmm keyboards don't give much back in the way of force feedback or sensation. However there have been successful setup's before. I just can't be bothered to setup a wheel (or get one for that matter) when I have a real RX-7 in the shed for that. So far comparing to my real life experiences the handling of Flat Out 2 is the closest to reality. GTR2 feels really dull and unresponsive, then goes to too twitchy too quickly. rFactor feels weird and slow to respond, GT Legends is again weird with braking suffering there. I dunno, I guess I just like my games to be fun and not like having teeth pulled!
Ceano
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Ceano »

Just another track racing game, nothing special with it...there already is a bunch of this kind of racing games that is way better.

Gladly i had the option to test play the game before buying it, so i will not buy it.
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

Special things about it would be the detail level of the cockpits and the personality of the overly aggressive AI, imo. Obviously there's the whole driver's profile thing, but that's overseeable. There are many games with cockpit view, but none that have as beautiful and detailed cockpits as Shift. That, I must admit.
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

Gamespot has a review up for the console version of Shift:
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/nee ... eview.html
And this is a much more realistic score than other sites have given the game.
TSX
Ricer
Ricer

Post by TSX »

I would still say... 7.0 is too high for unsatisfying , unfinished and quite frustrating game.
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

I'm basically just unsatisfied by the oversensitive controls... if they were something close to GRID, it'd be a lot better... also the video performance as well, but i'm playing at a manageable framerate, no lag at least... just ~25-30 mostly... sometimes can get up to 45 ... and i'm on ATI HD4850

I actually like the menu... it reminds me of the Zune HD's UI... to each their own i guess

the physics are weird too at times... especially the aforementioned bumpy cars

btw @TSX, i've read your review on the other thread, and you mentioned it's too easy to gain aggression points...? maybe in the first 3 levels, but i find myself getting precision ALL THE TIME because either when you get left behind, either you're waay ahead, you're alone most of the time, and that's when precision points kick in... VERY OFTEN... if you actually DO manage to win, chances are, you'll get precision... or lose very badly too but if you always tend to end in the middle of the pack, sure you'll get aggression points.

the other thing i don't like is the way to set up decals or vinyls... they should... again... take it from something similar like in GRID with the sponsors system, to put on decals and their logos and with the ABILITY TO CHANGE COLOURS!

oh another thing... I managed to unlock tier 4 and 5... without even touch tier 3 and 4 events... even for unlocking tier 3, i didn't touch tier 2... you can get stars pretty easily
BorisAnthrax
Ricer
Ricer

Post by BorisAnthrax »

I just finished getting all the stars in Tier 1. I like the idea of being invited to try more advanced tier cars before I buy. I also liked several ways of earning podium stars. I was surprised to see the other tiers open so soon.
As far as installation and set-up; I would say that was frustrating. Troubleshooting my video issue with EA was like talking to someone who knew less about the computer than the average user. When the technician told me to do stuff that would require further assistance from Microsoft, I decided to format and re-install my OS. The default or classic gamepad controls did not support my X-axis, I had to use one of the last options and remap everything.
I am glad NFS brought back replays.
krazyammo
Professional
Professional

Post by krazyammo »

I just felt like it needed more time or even a delay and release it at the same time Nitro is. I had such a hard time with the physics. Kept adjusting the sensitivity and still managed to swerve back and forth and spin out. And it crashes on me to the desktop whenever I take that first turn on the test lap at Brand Hatch.
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

krazyammo wrote:And it crashes on me to the desktop whenever I take that first turn on the test lap at Brand Hatch.
apparently uninstalling your physx engine and reinstall it from the game directory solves that problem
TheNoobofFerraris
Professional
Professional

Post by TheNoobofFerraris »

2furio wrote:Gamespot has a review up for the console version of Shift:
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/nee ... eview.html
And this is a much more realistic score than other sites have given the game.
You're a page late. :P
Seems like this website is a ghost town. No longer worth a visit or anyone's time.
Daniel2Hot
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Daniel2Hot »

can i play this??... this are my specs...
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/16/2009, 10:58:44
Machine name: COMPAQ-PC
Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: Compaq Presario CQ40 Notebook PC
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 3036MB RAM
Page File: 940MB used, 5321MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A42&SUBSYS_3607103C&REV_07
Display Memory: 1293 MB
Dedicated Memory: 32 MB
Shared Memory: 1261 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Driver Name: igdumdx32.dll,igd10umd32.dll
Driver Version: 7.15.0010.1502 (English)
DDI Version: 9Ex
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 6/12/2008 18:37:32, 536576 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

A whole dxdiag is not needed! Just the CPU, RAM, HD, GFX really!

PS the final nail in the coffin for that PC is 'Vista Home Premium'.....
Last edited by Kaerar on 18 Sep 2009, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

^What he said.
And the answer is NO. You're planning on playing it on a laptop - first mistake; laptops SUCK for games. Furthermore, a laptop with an Intel chipset... which you can use to show movies, maybe do some photoshop work, but generally just whipe your butt. Sad, but true.
Danyutz
Donator
Donator

Post by Danyutz »

Daniel2Hot wrote:can i play this??... this are my specs...
------------------
System Information
------------------
Tons of numbers
Is he allowed to write that much? :-s
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

He is lol... but he shouldn't because 95% of that information is pretty much useless.

To know how well a game will play, we only need to know basic stuff, like the CPU, graphics card, speed and amount of RAM, and maybe the OS. Everything else isn't worth mentioning... as it doesn't play a big role when it comes to gaming.
2fast4all
Drift King
Drift King

Post by 2fast4all »

This game works GREAT with my new G25!! After installing the new wheel software.

So they took out decal copy again eh? Well that ANOTHER BUMMER!!

My current 2 cars:
Civic Si and WRX STI
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

^Try going slowly in a straight line on a circuit of your choice and then try swerving left and right rather quickly. Compare the movement of your physical wheel with that of the virtual, reproduced one in the cockpit. Do you notice a delay?
hunkeer87
Stock
Stock

Post by hunkeer87 »

i like Shift very much. great job EA team. if i have to compere it to GRID, than i like SHIFT better than GRID(it was good, but Shift is littel better) Working exelent on my PNY 9800GTX+, AMD Dual Core 5000+ and 4GB RAM. Ofcourse, some thinks are better in GRID, but on overall both games(Sfiht and Grid) gets 9/10 from me.
P.S. every game is somethink special about it..... thats way i said - enjoy the game
AERO_HDT
Ricer
Ricer

Post by AERO_HDT »

I think it's a brilliant piece of work, sure it's not perfect (what game is?), but Shift is the best NFS game I've played for years! A welcome return to form!
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

It's almost a good game. A bit too arcadey at some points. Sometimes it's better to floor the gas pedal and grind walls than to brake and corner properly.
Also, the game mode where there is just you and someone else is firetruck impossible. Stupid ketchup.
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

peterfaj wrote:Also, the game mode where there is just you and someone else is firetruck impossible. Stupid ketchup.
easy way out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y62nfx5JlCE

=)
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

^Rofl.. lame. Only a question of time before someone abused the absurd crashing physics/damage model :P. Was to be expected. Still.. extremely cheap!
Xzidique
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Xzidique »

Apparently the last 4 years EA have lost the plot on what they wanted to do with the franchise and they delivered only bad imitations of succesful racing franchises just to keep the community busy with.
For me the franchise died with the Carbon game. All the comming nfs titles were a redux of Most wanted except the Prostreet which had a couple of good ideas but it was terribly executed. They didn't know what to deliver.....They thought "OK we are going to make something like Race Driver but with tuner cars and we have only one year to accomplish it"---And thats my opinion for Prostreet.
However the latest installment of need for speed the shift, even if it has some really stupid and terrible stuff that the franchise carries over all these years its somehow more fun. No its far away from realistic (Driving, Damage, Tuning, Bodykits) but it gets the job done.I believe they thought on that one "Aren't we supposed to do something like forza or GT but more cheap because we have funding only for a year or so. At least we are going to sell it to PC users because there are no other titles to compete..." So now we have shift......
In my opinion the NFS Shift is a cheap imitation of Forza and GT with a shot of PGR and shaked among with Grid. However I trully believe that is way better than its predecessors and way more fun and challenging and somehow brutal the way it sounds.
I got the game while got released here in Europe two days ago. The worst thing I saw onto it except a few bugs, the bodykits (Most of them, but not all of them)the menus, and the damage model is the Drifting Freaking Mode......Which sucked for me and I believe its very unrealistic and badly executed....Why cant they have done it like Foza2 does it....You tune the car for Drifting....Period. No extra modes no extra crap....However I am tired of cursing EA all these years for not delivering finished titles so within the next lines I will say only good things.
It sounds very good...I believe they have managed to put the best quality of Audio ever heard in a racing game.
The 1st person driver viewport is amazing the best ever seen.
It Looks like Grid on steroids.
It has an unfinished career, but I hope for the best next year.
It has a replay feature!!!!!You cant save the replay though but its a start.
I would like to see comming year the evolution of the game with more tracks real world and fictional (there are too few right now and many of them they are amazingly small and stupid) to extend the customization features with LICENSED BODYKITS :x and more cars categorised by types (Compact Sports, Hatchbacks, AWD,FF,FR, Exotics, lightweight and many other....)
EA did a fresh start to me eyes this year , if they are going to continue that way which I hope they will within a 2 year period time, we the PC users are going to have a really good Driving simulator...Congradulations EA =D>
Last edited by Xzidique on 20 Sep 2009, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

I've finally got my copy working and have to say I'm impressed with MOST of it. The input is frustrating at first, but becomes very rewarding the more you play. Only so much you can do on a keyboard though. Which brings me onto my next point...

Drifting is totally, utterly and completely impossible on a keyboard. I know full well that "if you want to play racing games, get a wheel) but I've never had a problem on the lkes of Grid with oversensitivity in drift, but on Shift...it's just not woth even trying. The slightest input has you facing the wrong way. Ah well, drifting isn't real motorsport anyway.

@Xzid- most of the body kits are "licenced", or variations on actual race kits. Certainly that's been the case for all the cars I've owned so far (Scirocco, E36 M3, E46 M3, Skyline GT-R, Evo). The works kits are fantastic, proper GT racer/Super Touring kits replicated very accurately
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project

Return to “SHIFT”