Bugs & Glitches in Need for Speed: SHIFT

2009 Need for Speed SHIFT
GINIX_2007
Professional
Professional

Re: Bugs & Glitches in Need for Speed: SHIFT

Post by GINIX_2007 »

Installing beta 9.10 drivers now ill report findings.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Wow, that's weird. Considering the drivers are being set up for grid rather than shift, I'm guessing the glitching is due to that. GRID does have quite strong lighting compared to shift.
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

Well, here is the explanation I got from asking a techie friend of mine - drivers are generally improved from version to version, but to get an edge in the competition, ATi and nVidia typically 'cheat' a bit by optimising their drivers to the most popular games of the moment. Imagine that these drivers have a list of game titles in them. Each game title has a bunch of minor settings, which add or detract some calculations for some kind of effect or whatever. The way the drivers detect the game and choose the profile of 'special effects' is by reading the name of the game launched. So if they optimize their drivers for Shift, they will have an entry in their drivers that says shift.exe . Likewise there is now a grid.exe in their driver profiles, which brings some optimizations for Grid to the table. Apparently renaming shift.exe into grid.exe is enough to fool the drivers into loading the bunch of tricks and extras that are used to increase performance in Grid. This isn't the best of solutions, because Grid's code is different from Shift's. What works there doesn't necessarily work here. But hey.. now there is something to work on and we know that with the right tweaks, ATi should be able to unlock quite a bit of performance!
H3ll$pawn
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by H3ll$pawn »

Found a bug just yet, tier 1, invitationel race at sliverstone finished, went back to time trial a quick race.Now the countdown timer shows 215min's till end of time trial.That's over 2 hours on the same track before the race ends.
Anyone encountered this rarrety yet?Can someone post tihs issue for me at the official board please?
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Not sure if this has been mentioned specifically. Attempting to tune a Works Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34) in Advanced Tuning on my PS3 version, the game doesn't correctly save tuning sliders that are set fully to the right side of the scale. After saving a slider in this position, exiting and then re-entering Advanced Tuning, the slider is found to be one position short of the right end of the scale.

I didn't do a comprehensive test, but suspension and aero settings were defintely affected by this. I saw Skroting talking about an issue with the LP640 where Advanced Tuning would reduce the top speed permanently - perhaps this is the reason. If so, I suppose that selling the car and buying another would restore top speed at least.
Skroting
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Skroting »

There seem to be several issues with cars that are upgraded to Works. I've stopped using these cars in anticipation of a patch that fixes these issues. However, I have heard about a workaround that might help, but I haven't been bothered to try it myself. Apparently if you reset all your tuned cars to default, switch to quicktuning, sell your Works car and rebuy it, it might work as it should after you've upgraded it back to Works.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Yeah I read the same thing and like you I haven't been bothered to try it. It's just not hat much of an issue for me. I'm surprised you decided to stop using Works conversions in anticipation of a patch however. Some sort of puritanical personal boycott perhaps?
Skroting
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Skroting »

No, not a boycott. If a car is tunable, then I want to find the best possible setup. With the current bugs, this is simply not possible. This is why I'm just chilling with other cars right now. I like to just try out different cars just as they are without upgrading or tuning. I really enjoy the award cars. Last night I did two runs at Nordschleife with the BMW M3 GT2 with a best time of 7:08. I then sat a goal for myself to get below 7 minutes today. After a great deal of trying, I finally nailed it a few minutes ago. It's such a great car and really fun to drive. It also eases my mind that you can't tune it, so it's all up to my driving.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Erm... Does the game crash for anyone else doing the 2000GT-R race? Tier 1
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

not for me...strange, it seems that the game crashes at randomly "chosen" events for different people.
i myself have no problems other than the grass appearing around your car sometimes at the race-beginning cutscene, and one texture of "sun rings", the one right above the car when playing in sunny tracks like ambush canyon, is missing and is a black square, doesnt really appear often but its STILL a bug.
arabnight
Drift King
Drift King

Post by arabnight »

yah i had a few times where the grass appears on the track or sometimes everything goes white...for a few seconds..
Overreactman
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Overreactman »

For me, I just bought an LG W2361VG 23" monitor and now the game crashes to the desktop everytime I start a race.
arabnight
Drift King
Drift King

Post by arabnight »

that sounds weird
Overreactman
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Overreactman »

arabnight wrote:that sounds weird
And it makes no sense, cause the game worked well before and now not at all.
arabnight
Drift King
Drift King

Post by arabnight »

u see if there is a driver for the monitor
Overreactman
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Overreactman »

arabnight wrote:u see if there is a driver for the monitor
Yep, updated the driver already and it still does it.
arabnight
Drift King
Drift King

Post by arabnight »

did u try to change the monitor just for kicks and see if the problem still happens?
Overreactman
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Overreactman »

Ok, just gave that a shot. Running dual screen (hey, the old one aint broken afterall) I was able to figure out that if I run NFS Shift on the old monitor it runs without error. On the new one it crashes. WIndowed the game, played a full race on the old monitor, then moved the window to the new monitor and it crashed almost immediatley.
arabnight
Drift King
Drift King

Post by arabnight »

i see that u thought your old one was broken haha, but i don't see how the new monitor would do such a crash.
Is it only from shift or have u tried different games and or video's.
Overreactman
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Overreactman »

arabnight wrote:i see that u thought your old one was broken haha, but i don't see how the new monitor would do such a crash.
Is it only from shift or have u tried different games and or video's.

It is only Shift. I have tried it on Batman, Neverwinter Nights, Oblivion, Mass Effect, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Battlefield 2, Left 4 Dead, F.E.A.R. 2, and more... Just can't figure out where the issue is. I am sure it is a compatability error in there somewhere, but it doesn't make sense that only one game does not like the monitor.
arabnight
Drift King
Drift King

Post by arabnight »

yah that is really really odd if all those worked fine and then well u cant be to sure when it comes to nfs have u tried installing a old nfs? maybe prostreet see if its just nfs sounds weird but i dont know try something more.
Overreactman
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Overreactman »

I was given an idea that I will have to try on top of your suggestion. Installing the older driver might work as the person suggested that the new driver and Shift may not be compatable. Gonna give that a shot.
arabnight
Drift King
Drift King

Post by arabnight »

what os are u running? and tell me if that works?
Overreactman
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Overreactman »

OS? The worst of them all until I can get my hands on 7. I hate Vista so much.
arabnight
Drift King
Drift King

Post by arabnight »

hmm i dont konw if vista might be the problem but it is a bad os u should of got the rc of windows 7.

Return to “SHIFT”