Msi Fx5600 D.o.t.

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Msi Fx5600 D.o.t.

Post by 2furio »

Hi, I had a MSI Geforce Nvidia FX5600 at 256 mb for almost a year and I just updated the drivers. In the MSI clock section I have the D.O.T. (Dynamic Over-Clocking). My question is if this type of over-clocking is reliable? I have it set on "Colonel" right now.
Also, what can I do to get the most out of my video card?
I received a new computer...P4 at 3.0 Ghz with HT, 512 mb RAM and my video card is at AGP 8X, yet the new games that are comming out don't work smoothly with detail on max. For example, the Need for Speed Underground 2 Demo laggs tremedously with full detail on and a resolution of 1024x768. To have the game working smoothyl, I have to set it at 800x600 and turn of "Light Trails" but this sort of kills the experience.
Any advice?
EmptyWords
Professional
Professional

Post by EmptyWords »

yes buy a new card....thats what im doing
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

That's the thing, the card is still "new" and I don't want to replace it already. I want to give it at least one more year.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Hmmm I think this belongs in the videocards thread. That is what it's there for.
EmptyWords
Professional
Professional

Post by EmptyWords »

well. i dunno , does PC sucks?? cause mine is horrible. i dont even have enough ram to run most games.. so i need 2 buy a new PC cause this whole PC is crap.. and when i buy a new PC im gonna get PCI-E 16x. so my AGP 8x wont work there.
Sweeper
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Sweeper »

I have allready found your problem, it is your video card.
It is too slow, 5600 had a nice price tag, lots of memory and of course a high number (5600 near 5900 top model)

But actually it is crap, sorry to say so but it is.
The 5600 you got is equipped with 256Mb slow memory, they have increased the quantity by trading it for speed.
You have recived a memory that does an operation every 5 nano seconds.
Very slow compared to the higher end and the 128Mb version of your card which is equipped with 2 Nano seconds to 2.5 Nano seconds memory.
Besides, having fast memory is more important than having a lot of it.

Not only does that latency on the memory affect overclocking, but also overall stock performance.
Also the chip is also considered a flop and was never able to beat the old GeForce4.
Actually, I am not sure if it will last another year, certainly not at max details, expect to run at lower res, 1024 with detail sacrifice and 800 x 600 with medium details (Can be diffrent, approx numbers)
And next time, if you want to upgrade, make sure to check the memory on the card, it is important, or else the GPU will idle too much, though the 5600 GPU is actually one whole design flaws with lots of problems that are solved by now but never the less slow.

As for PCI Express upgrades, dispite what people want you to think, the AGP will not just "Vanish into thin air" it will be like the ISA ports for old schoolers, it will still be there, as ISA was for a few years, but expect it to be gone in 2 years.
So even if you buy an AGP 8X card, the PCI express motherboards should still be able to support it.
Besides, we have yet to see the AGP 8X run at its full potential, today it is basically just a little bit faster than the 4X, and yes, you can survive on AGP 2x.
I will personally not be upgrading my video card, my GeForce 4 Ti 4600 still manages 1024 res in NFSU 2 with medium details and no slowdowns.
However, my CPU needs replacement.
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

Yeah I knew it!!! But my dad kept on saying no and don't worry about it. The computer is fairly new and I don't think the motherboard has slots for PCI video cards. Arghh, the video card is at least 1 year old and when I bought it, I really had no clue about video cards. I didn't know that the FX series sucked terribly, I didn't know that ATi were better. For me, back then, if it had more, I thought it was better. I gotta look for "hints" for the right decisions. We actually looked at the same exact video card before with 128 mb but my dad gave it back for the 256 one. Ugh, oh well, it's not a major problem. I'm used to playing games at 800x600. I run NFS UG2 with ful detail on except Light Trails and I think Enhanced Contrast with 800x600 and it's good. Doom 3 is at medium detail and it looks crazy. Hell, that game looks crazy with everything on low.

EDIT: Yep the Asus motherboard is for AGP and doesn't have PCI support. Argh, so pissed because my dad said he won't buy me a computer for a while and that's for at least 2 years. Umm, maybe I still have a chance to bring it back.

Also, what's up with the Quadro FX3000? What's so special about this card that's 1500 dollars?
ghost_4ce
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by ghost_4ce »

Lol, The Quadro series is for designers only. It comes along with heavy instruction sets which help game/graphic developers to get their stuff done faster (i guess). Dont really know much about them, except that running normal games on it wouldnt make a big difference when compared to a topline gfx cards.
Personaly I am waiting till Feb '05 to upgrade my ati9200. But mind u that PCI-Xpress and AGP combo mobos are already out, and so are DDR\DDR2 combos.
But, IMO, the big thing to look out for now is SLi by Nvidia-> Whats better than a 6800GT OC BFG (except a x800 PT)? why 2 6800GT OC BFGs !!!

Return to “The Hardware & Software”