A lesson in Punctuation

Serious discussions on matters not covered by other boards. The un-serious type of users should refer to the Can of Spam.
Sir Ibi
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

A lesson in Punctuation

Post by Sir Ibi »

Ok, I found this post in another forum, I thought it could be useful for some of the memebers here too. And beilieve it or not, even I slip up on my spelling and grammar now and again, so I hope this enlightens some people :D .

Punctuation is often overlooked, especially on the Inter-electro-web, for some reason. People assume that, because it's an e-mail or a forum, they can spell and type however they like. Well, that's just not true. Punctuation is there to help the reader. It lets them know when to stop, when to pause, when to store away a bit of information and start afresh. So, let's look at some basic punctuation marks and their usage.

1. The full stop. The full stop, or period as it is also known, is used to end sentences. It allows the reader to bring the section he/she has been reading to a close and start the next sentence with renewed vigour.

2. The comma. Ah, the comma. Such a little mark, but such an important one, allowing you to control the pace, not to mention legibility, of a sentence perfectly. Now, when you read those last two sentences, you knew which words were emphasised, and which weren't, didn't you? I'll bet you read it in your head like this:

Ah [pause] the comma. [longer pause] Such a little mark [pause] but such an important one, [pause] allowing you to control the pace, [pause] not to mention legibility, [pause] of a sentence perfectly.

Let's remove the commas and see how that reads:

Ah the comma. Such a little mark but such an important one allowing you to control the pace not to mention legibility of a sentence perfectly.

Read it without adding in your own pauses. Drivel isn't it? Commas are a simple common courtesy, and as we all know, manners cost nothing. Let's use commas in the context of a tutorial section:

First, you must replay the race in NFSU2, then when you pause the race at a particular point, you press the Print Screen key on your keaboard, after which you close down the game, and past the screenshot onto an image editing prgram, such as, Photoshop, Paintshop, or good old MS Paint.

Fairly legible, right? Take out the commas:

First you must replay the race in NFSU2 then when you pause the race at a particular point you press the Print Screen key on your keaboard after which you close down the game and past the screenshot onto an image editing prgram such as Photoshop Paintshop or good old MS Paint.

A garbled mess. Bleugh. You end up reading like Robbie the effing Robot.

The basic rule of thumb when using commas is, put one where you'd pause for breath if you were speaking out loud.

3. The apostrophe. Now this one is a real humdinger. People get this wrong all the time, mainly because it's never taught very well in school. We'll remedy that now. An apostrophe serves two purposes: to denote posession, and to replace missing letters.

Possessive apostrophes.

This is Johns apple. <---incorrect.

This is John's apple. <--- correct. The apple belongs to John, so an apostrophe is put in place.

This is a fairly simple example. Things can get tricky with plurals, e.g.:

This is a kid's game. <--- Correct, singular. This means the game belongs to one kid.

This is a kids' game. <--- Correct, plural. This means the game is suitable for children, or that it belongs to multiple kids.

However, if the word is already a plural, the apostrophe goes back before the 's', like this:

This is a children's game.

Where is the men's room?

The exception to these rules is it. In the case of it, you only add an apostrophe when you are shortening 'it is' or 'it has'.

The cat has lost it's marbles. <--- Incorrect. This means 'The cat has lost it is marbles.'

The cat has lost its marbles. <--- Correct.

Its a shame. <--- Incorrect.

It's a shame. <--- Correct (shortening 'It is a shame').

The rules on words ending in S, like Charles or James, are flexible; you can put whatever you think sounds/looks right.

Replacing letters with an apostrophe

This is another one that people rarely do, but it really is simple.

I cannot go to work today.

To shorten cannot, we remove the 'no'. But there's no such word as cant. So, we replace the 'no' with an apostrophe, like this:

I can't go to work today.

Much nicer. The same applies with two seperate words:

There is a taxi outside.

There's a taxi outside.

Where is my kipper?

Where's my kipper?

We will be rich, rich I tell you!

We'll be rich, rich I tell you!

And so on.

An apostrophe should not be used when pluralising acronyms, such as:

CD's, DVD's. <--- Incorrect.

CDs, DVDs. <--- Correct.

Well, I think that'll do for now. I'll leave out brackets, question marks, colons, semi-colons, hyphens, and all the rest, for now. I'm also not going to touch the difference in English and American English spelling; in my mind they're two different languages!

I'm not saying you have to laboriously go through every post, punctuating perfectly, but it would be nice at least to have a stab at it in tutorials. Makes all the difference, y'know?

:D
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Wow... I should print this out as a guide for my future English exams. Thanks! ;)
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Ahh . . . nice one Ib.

Maybe now, users of this forum (at least the ones born in english speaking nations) will start using some common courtesy in language.

Hurrah!
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

yeah instead of posting BS.

now the only thing we need is a special list where all the normal words are so that some here don't have to talk in dispiceble gansta talk!
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Well, since this is a Punctuation thread, I'd really like to know how to use the ";" sign. It'd really help in my composition. Thanks!
Morty
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Morty »

I'd just like to add one thing, the difference between "your" and "you're". I know the difference, but I mix them up a lot when chatting... :oops:

"Your" - Ownership, something you have. Example: Your dog.
"You're" - You are. Example: You're right.

* Morty finds some glue, and makes this thread a sticky *
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

I learned all this stuff in school and use it here so I don't need that.
baadmw
Drift King
Drift King

Post by baadmw »

well, you don't seem to remeber how to do it :wink:
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

I do remember how to do it. I just choose not to use it because it looks too dang professional.
weedman173
Professional
Professional

Post by weedman173 »

Well mostly the reason why I don't use correct grammar is because I'm lazy and most of the time I'm in a rush.
Sir Ibi
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Sir Ibi »

lol, I didn't except this to be stickied, well at least people will be more inclined to type their posts with a little more effort, at least here, if not in any other topics :lol:

If anyone wants to add anything else, then please feel free to do so... :D
R34GTR
Professional
Professional

Post by R34GTR »

You know this english lesson is better than mine at school :lol:
Professional
Professional

Post by 99k »

R34GTR wrote:You know this english lesson is better than mine at school :lol:
Thats why i have never read it and never will.
Fishwhiz
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Fishwhiz »

wen im chatn i tip lik this.
Thanks for the tips, Sir Ibi.
chemicalcode
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by chemicalcode »

@Stig. Yeah I really can't stand all this Gangsta talk that crops up throughout the site, it is one of the most annoying things ever, having to decipher their crap. I had one guy leave a comment on one of my cars and he couldn't even put more than three letters in the correct order. :roll:
Fishwhiz
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Fishwhiz »

Oh, and a part of gangser talk: How about not using any strong language Period, even if it's not being used in an offensive way, I just don't like to read cuss words, even if they're blanked with stars. And that seems to be a offensive thing to not many people,
but I don't have a clue why instead you guys can't use the word "Freaking" or "Flipping" instead if the "F" word. That bugs me most.
WhereIsTheNsx
Drift King
Drift King

Post by WhereIsTheNsx »

yo chemical son i know what you sayin homie, word to your mother
bashderq
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by bashderq »

Andre_online wrote:Well, since this is a Punctuation thread, I'd really like to know how to use the ";" sign. It'd really help in my composition. Thanks!
You use the the semi-colon in these cases:

- to separate independant clauses not joined by a conjunction
eg: The house burned down ; it was the last shattering blow

- to separate independent clauses that are joined by conjunctive adverbs like hence,
however, therefore

eg: The house burned down ; however, the family was not present at the time.

- to separate long lists that already contain commas
eg: the elected officers are John, president ; Smith, vice president ; Adam

- to separate elements that are closly related but can't be ambiguously connected
eg: Poverty is unbearable ; luxury, insufferable
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Fishwhiz wrote:Oh, and a part of gangser talk: How about not using any strong language Period, even if it's not being used in an offensive way, I just don't like to read cuss words, even if they're blanked with stars. And that seems to be a offensive thing to not many people,
but I don't have a clue why instead you guys can't use the word "Freaking" or "Flipping" instead if the "F" word. That bugs me most.
What is wrong with the F word.... the americans have been teaching it to the rest of the world for a long time now... any action movie is filled with it... And they are the ones that Bleep the word away on TV... I call that IRONIC

But he offensive words used for Homosexuals used in every location is normal? and yes you are guilty of that, and I don't mean gay :wink:

I don't mind the punctuation that much a , or . more or less isn't such a big problem but changing complete words so that half the forum need a gangsta dictionary to translate it... or what ever dictionary for that style of typing.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Thank you so much Bashderq! I never thoght people would read my post, hehe... But one problem though, still couldn't get the last point... :?
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

Jopuma wrote:I do remember how to do it. I just choose not to use it because it looks too dang professional.

yeah it is
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
bashderq
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by bashderq »

Andre_online wrote:Thank you so much Bashderq! I never thoght people would read my post, hehe... But one problem though, still couldn't get the last point... :?
- to separate elements that are closly related but can't be ambiguously connected
eg: Poverty is unbearable ; luxury, insufferable
treat it like a sentence that you would normally write, " Poverty is unbearable, but luxury is insufferable" The subject of the sentence is linked (being the quality of a lifestyle) but its meaning can be distorted, depending on the perceiver.

and btw, no worries :wink:
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Oh, I get it now! Thanks once again~!
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

Fishwhiz wrote:Oh, and a part of gangser talk: How about not using any strong language Period, even if it's not being used in an offensive way, I just don't like to read cuss words, even if they're blanked with stars. And that seems to be a offensive thing to not many people,
Well actually
Fishwhiz wrote:"Freaking"
is a cuss word when said as "fri**in" or something like that. Any other way is fine tho. I think the moderators should but a fowl language ban to where only the acceptable words like dang, darn, dumb it, blast, fudge, and other words that aren't cuss words are allowed.
Fishwhiz
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Fishwhiz »

Exactly. It just bugs me to come to this site, and see bad language. If this was in-person chat, I would be very uncomfortable being around you guys.

Return to “General Discussion”