Getting screen shots to look good in the garage.

Discuss editing Need for Speed Underground 2.
StoneBullet
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Getting screen shots to look good in the garage.

Post by StoneBullet »

I know this might sound like a really stupid question, but how do you get your cars to look so good in the garage? I run the game in 1280x1024 with all of the options on (except overbright) and they still look crap.

When browsing through the site I see a lot of the top people here use garage shots and they look great, so what am I doing wrong. :cry: :oops:
Sir Ibi
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Sir Ibi »

My personal prefernce is too keep everything on or on high, except for the light trails. This setting, makes the lighting blury, and disguises the edges of the cars. Leaving it off, allows me to take decent screenshots, that are sharp and clear.

Beside the quality of the graphics on this game isn't brilliant, i just feel that the light trail was put in place to disguise the flaws of EA's texturing flaws, but that's just a personal opinion.

Of course another method you could use, is to edit the brightness and the cotrast of the screenshot. Increase the contrast, and reduce the brightness a tiny bit. Don't know what editing program you use, but i usually use photoshop.
StoneBullet
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by StoneBullet »

Thanks for the info. I have turned off light trails, which had the added benefit of getting rid of those stupid lines to the left of the screen. If you look at some of my screen shots you will know what I am talking about.

I'm gonna have a go and see what I can do with it. I have PSP 7, which is pretty good, but not quite up to the standard of Photoshop.
JEX420
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by JEX420 »

sorry to say but I have an old azz video card and I play the game on medium and my screenshots look like I have a Radeon 9800XT than a Radeon 9000 pro 8) oh yeah I forgot, good luck to you on the SRchallenge :wink:
ViperJay
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ViperJay »

JEX420, share with us your secrets to have the good looking screenshots you said :wink:
Aspis
Stock
Stock

Post by Aspis »

Sorry guys, but all the screenshots in NFSUnlimited garages have this crappy quality because they're compessed by the admins.
proxnet
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by proxnet »

try improving or modifying the contrast and brightness in photoshop by going to image-->adjustments-->Brightness/contrast.

You can also add lighting effects if needed. This way picture quality improves.
ViperGT
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ViperGT »

Try turning off motion blur and turning the Full-screen anti aliasing all the way up you may want to take the v-sync off and your game might run slow but it's gives you time to get the angle you want
Kylundil
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Kylundil »

if you are using photoshop go to filter>blur, do that twice and it will take away most of the grain around the car
krist
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by krist »

I have a FX5200 and my pics look awsome (well notnearly as good as sparco's although he has the same card) trick is Brightness and contrast, shrapen it so it looks decent not OVER sharped, AND MAKE SURE AA IS ON MAX!
Kid Cro
Banned

Shiny

Post by Kid Cro »

How to make car looks shiny in the game!
Triskac
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Triskac »

all is done in photoshop, if you got a good video card and you find some car looking much better on screenshot then yours in the game, then its photoshoped :wink:
Jaster_Mereel
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Jaster_Mereel »

Here's some advice: Crank the graphics up as much as possible (except for the trail light option and mabye the anti-aliasing), then go to the garage even if it runs slow and take a screen shot. It does not have to run fast to take a screen shot. Also, if you cut out your cars in photoshop, the only way you can cut out the car just right is croping like real fast around you car so you =can see everything still but closer up, then use the eraser to get right next to the car shape (it is tedious but you can get rid of the stupid dings and stuff on the car from in-game that look bad and shouldn't be there). This will all take practice, but after a while you will be able to do it just as fast as using the magic wand or any other method. This may not work for all, but it is the best way that I have found for me.
Sir Ibi
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Sir Ibi »

insted of using the eraser, what i usually do is use the line tool, to creat an outline around the car, the invert selection and press delete.
Sweet-16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Sweet-16 »

anti-aliasing is the only thing that makes your car smoother. so i keep mine at max when making screen shots. it may run slow but i think it makes really nice screen shots. also i just cropa rectangular shape so it focuses on my car and not the menu or anything. all this is done with PSP7.
Tyrant
Professional
Professional

Re: Getting screen shots to look good in the garage.

Post by Tyrant »

StoneBullet wrote:I know this might sound like a really stupid question, but how do you get your cars to look so good in the garage? I run the game in 1280x1024 with all of the options on (except overbright) and they still look crap.
Ask UrQuattro :D
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Aspis wrote:Sorry guys, but all the screenshots in NFSUnlimited garages have this crappy quality because they're compessed by the admins.
Just thought I should put this to rest. The admins don't modify your screenshots in any way. However, when screens are uiploaded, they are automatically resized to 800x600, and quality can be lost during this process. This is a simple matter to avoid - just make sure to resize the image to 800x600 yourself before uploading to the site.
^Sparco^
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by ^Sparco^ »

Yeah...

Sample: 800x600, 149Kb, AA4x, Gforce FX5200 :D
Attachments
BICOLOR.jpg
Jaster_Mereel
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Jaster_Mereel »

Thanks, I've been wondering why my car detail is crapy after I post them
Sweet-16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Sweet-16 »

i'm not too worried, as long as the car is visible it shouldn't matter.

Return to “Editing”