Program or hardware for this...

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
Tunerfreak
Professional
Professional

Program or hardware for this...

Post by Tunerfreak »

I was wondering if there was a program or an adapter etc around that lets the computer run a specified directx aplication at max resolution, but restricts the displayed resolution to one capable of the monitor. In other words, you are veiwing 1024 x 768 but when you push print screen and paste you see a 2048 x 1536 resolution image.

I was thinking about Playstation2's and how they seem to do the same thing, output a high resolution then the TV restricts it to 800 x 600.

Im hoping there is software for this, if not, how difficult is it to create a program along these lines? I had no idea how to word it in google.

Thanks in advance.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

First, standard TVs are 640 lines of resolution depending on models so how do you get 800 with a PS2?

but anyways you make aboslutly no sense in what you are asking.
korge
Tunerfreak
Professional
Professional

Post by Tunerfreak »

Well Tv's are beside the point.

Ill try to be clearer.

Bottom line- I want to run a really high resolution on my computer but I want it restricted to a mangagable size to display on my monitor. Since its really giving out the high resolution, when I printscreen I should see that resolution, but the monitor is restricted to a managable resolution.

Graphics card plays speed.exe at high resolution, 'program in question' realises this resolution is too high for the monitor and restricts the displayed resolution, but only the displayed resolution, not the resolution the game is actually running at.

Its just not easy to explain.
Hell, and you wonder why I couldnt word it in google...
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Hmm..

Monitor is made for max resolution of 1024 and you want ot blow it trying to force it to run at 1280?
korge
Tunerfreak
Professional
Professional

Post by Tunerfreak »

Closer but no.

I want the computer to think im using a monitor that is capable of higher resolutions than it is, thus allowing high resolutions, but I then want the program in qustion to restrict the displayed resolution to one the monitor is capable of, but since the directx program is still runnning at that high resolution (And the monitor is the only thing displaying a lower resolution) it should alow for high resolutions screenshots.

Ive already blown a monitor up for experimental purposes :lol:

Question! Does printscreen copy what the computer is displaying on the screen (or what it thinks its displaying on the screen) or exactly what the screen is displaying?

I know, I suck at explaining.

Btw, lovin the sig :lol:
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

I get your point, but I don't think there is a way to do what you are asking (run the program at high res, output a low res to screen).

The only way that I can think of getting a screen capture with higher resolution then what your system is capable of outputting is use a software renderer for screen captures. That is, just rendering the image straight to file, not even trying to output to display. This however would require custom software, and I doubt it exist.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Tunerfreak wrote: Btw, lovin the sig :lol:
Thanks, its like having 4 Monitors.. 8) :lol:
korge
Tunerfreak
Professional
Professional

Post by Tunerfreak »

Ill explain something I did a while ago if it helps, im glad some sense is being made now.

I got my hands on a little 15" monitor one day (Ancient peice of junk) and soon discovered the advantages of no reso limits, I got some awsome shots in before the big poof (Well more like bang) and I was wondering if there was hopefully a way to simulate this no reso limit busisness without harm to the monitor, in other words, what I desribed before.

The main reason for this is im hoping to grab another monitor for dual screen and I was thinking about a 21" flatscreen CRT (Capable of maxing my card) but im also wanting to go dual screen (and a 21" beside a 17" isnt a very good dual screen setup) So if only I could have two 17"s for the setup and this program for the high capablilites of the 21".

I know its a long shot, I was thinking about somthing like a monitorless setup for just a second (Maybe a program that enables the software renderer, ups the resolution, and takes the shot all in a few seconds) maybe a quick process enabled bt a hotkey in Macro or somthing.

Thanks for helping, budget is tight you see :lol:
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

You cant use 1600 pixel res on a monitor if the max is 1280. The only place you can do this is on LCDs, bt inevitably, the image is squiched to fit the 1280 pixel resolution on the screen.

On CRTs, you cant do this, you will jsut end up with your monitor shutting off.
korge
Tunerfreak
Professional
Professional

Post by Tunerfreak »

^Im not attempting to blow up my monitor :roll:

Ive got a very unlikley idea (Being the tech n00bie I am)

I could set up Macro to enable (With a hotkey, while a directx application is running) a peice of software (which probly dosnt exist yet) that acts as a virtal monitor (Of course you cant see anything becuase the real monitor disables) and in that time macro can increse the resolution of the directx application the the cards maximum, take the shot and save it to a file. After this process is completed (or failed) the genuine monitor and resolution will be renabled.

plausible?

How long do you think a process like this would take? (Assuming the virtual monitor program runs smooth)

Sounds like some very advanced programming :?
viper_gts
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper_gts »

simple terms for people who may not yet understand what he is asking, but may be able to help.

example only:

He wants his monitor to display 800 x 600 resolution, but capture the image of what is displayed on the monitor in 1024 x 768 resolution quality.

I don't know if this is possible, but thought i would try and make it a little more understandable for people still confused :wink:
Tunerfreak
Professional
Professional

Post by Tunerfreak »

Yes, but replace the values with-

Monitor = 1024 x 768 reso

Capture = 2048 x 1536 reso (Or maximum of card or program)

But the method I suggested last above is probly more possible than this, and easier on the card as it isnt running 2048 x 1536 constantly.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Tunerfreak wrote:Yes, but replace the values with-

Monitor = 1024 x 768 reso

Capture = 2048 x 1536 reso (Or maximum of card or program)

But the method I suggested last above is probly more possible than this, and easier on the card as it isnt running 2048 x 1536 constantly.
Classified as Impossible. :!:
korge
Tunerfreak
Professional
Professional

Post by Tunerfreak »

Thats what I thought, and thats why I suggested-
Tunerfreak wrote:Ive got a very unlikley idea (Being the tech n00bie I am)

I could set up Macro to enable (With a hotkey, while a directx application is running) a peice of software (which probly dosnt exist yet) that acts as a virtal monitor (Of course you cant see anything becuase the real monitor disables) and in that time macro can increse the resolution of the directx application the the cards maximum, take the shot and save it to a file. After this process is completed (or failed) the genuine monitor and resolution will be renabled.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Right. But since such a program doesn't exist, it's practically impossible. No one is going to make it for you... But theoritically possible, no doubt.
Tunerfreak
Professional
Professional

Post by Tunerfreak »

Yes, its likley to be possible, but highly difficult to program, ill do some research and see if theres anything on this topic or any programs slightly like it and maybe try making a program (Haha what a laugh :lol: )

Return to “The Hardware & Software”