Drift Tips & Tuning

2007 Need for Speed ProStreet
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Re: Drift Tips & Tuning

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

And I can't remember this much useless options that don't actually don't do anything. If they wanted to make it more like a simulator, then they should learn a couple of things from Gran Turismo, rather than just doing their own thing. At least in GT, you can actually see the changes in brake bias, the change in ride height and how it affects the ride.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

I'n not saying PS is a bad game, but if they wanted to make a simulator based on modified car culture, why not make it realistic? U2 still has the best tuning, with full dyno curves, realistic gearing setting, not max this one out and have this on min (it was on par with GT4 in that aspect), it had 2D ecu mapping where you could choose where the power was made, unlike PSs guess work and had a propper boost map (where you could choose where power was made) so engine tuning was better than in gran turismo. Aerodynamic tuning is PSs forte.... but it's maxing everything out raises top speed and grip... yet it's supposed to be a compromise. I find the suspension tuning fine for the audience, and even engine tuning, I'm not asking for full maps, but just realistic boost setting instead of the I'll just put it all on full and get no lag from a massive turbo, which is totally unrealistic, and a curve on the dyno as well as numbers. If youre going to put a dyno in make it useful. When setting up a grip car, I want perfect response out of corners... but for now it's guesswork. Also, what happened to weight reduction mods?
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

I actually don't remember U2 tuning that well, but you are probably right in what tuning settings are which. As for PS tuning I find it strange that people don't see /feel a difference. I've done lots of setups on my RX-7/8 as well as other cars and customized each setup for each track. Ride height does affect downforce, but a car that's too low will scrape the bottom on the more bumpy circuits.. again, I felt the difference in downforce. Maybe I'm just more sensible because I run with a G25, and the ffb in that is phenomenal, but I will not support the claim that tuning in PS makes no difference. It does. I especially felt a drastic change in the handling tuning settings. Be it as it may that engine tuning is unrealistic - I don't spend much of my time there, anyway.. I go for gear ratios and handling - I find that most parameters have a useful function. Realistic or not, it can't be said that they do not affect the car handling, because they all do. If you don't feel it, it's because you're on a keyboard or a joypad. Get some decent controls and play the game (a racer) as it's meant to be played (with a wheel, preferrably one with decent ffb).
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Summ wrote:As for PS tuning I find it strange that people don't see /feel a difference.
They do make a difference (realistic or otherwise) no doubt, but you have to do a lot of guesswork because of the "too simplified" tuning controls. A lot of settings you just have to try out (let's max this setting and see what it does) by actually driving instead of having atleast a little bit helpful performance charts. And some of the settings are pure guesswork. Like TOE for example: Toe in vs out should affect turn-in and stability, but the settings is negative/positive. So which is which? Sheesh.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Summ wrote:I actually don't remember U2 tuning that well, but you are probably right in what tuning settings are which. As for PS tuning I find it strange that people don't see /feel a difference. I've done lots of setups on my RX-7/8 as well as other cars and customized each setup for each track. Ride height does affect downforce, but a car that's too low will scrape the bottom on the more bumpy circuits.. again, I felt the difference in downforce. Maybe I'm just more sensible because I run with a G25, and the ffb in that is phenomenal, but I will not support the claim that tuning in PS makes no difference. It does. I especially felt a drastic change in the handling tuning settings. Be it as it may that engine tuning is unrealistic - I don't spend much of my time there, anyway.. I go for gear ratios and handling - I find that most parameters have a useful function. Realistic or not, it can't be said that they do not affect the car handling, because they all do. If you don't feel it, it's because you're on a keyboard or a joypad. Get some decent controls and play the game (a racer) as it's meant to be played (with a wheel, preferrably one with decent ffb).
Well I sure don't. My Evo X still does four-wheel drifts when I change the settings to understeer. And I don't feel it because while EA claims it is a simulation, it isn't and so the settings don't make a lick of difference. The only one that does for me is shock stiffness in my 911. And I find most racing games easier, although the Logitech Driving Force is more responsive, to use the SIXAXIS. In GT5 Prologue while I can go into the banked corners on Daytona full throttle with the steering wheel, using the SIXAXIS gives me faster speeds and lap times. Same with ProStreet.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

It does make a difference, but there's too much guesswork. GT4 at least gives a dyno curve for your upgrades.
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

Taken the target group of the NFS franchise into consideration, I honestly think they removed the graphs because the majority either skipped them or didn't understand them. Perhaps because of faulty programming that bugged the way the curves were traced or something.. I honestly don't know. What I know is that I like the tuning in Pro Street, because I can feel the effects of each tuning setting. I do however acknowledge the fact that, as vellu said, tuning is more of a feeling question now, rather than a math question. To me, that's fine. I do agree that most of the descriptions of the absolutes are.. questionable at best and that the mapping of the extremes to the actual values is less than intuitive. That being said, I just think we are running on different tracks here, guys. Because you can keep pointing out the faults - no curves, faulty values, buggy engine tuning - and say that therefore it sucks. And I can keep saying that, though you are right about the decreased predictability of the results and less math-like approach to tuning, I feel every change I make and THAT makes the tuning part more alive and interesting for me than ever before =). I can't speak about other games that I have not tried, so I will limit myself to my previous statement and say.. to me the tuning in PS is good. Whether or not it's better than other games and U2, I don't know. I just know that to me it's better than the previous NFS that I've played =). That's it.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

They could explain and simplify the curves.... It may be better for you, but for me it's tedious when I could get it over and done with quickly. Here I don't know whether I've made it better or worse...
Andreaz1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Andreaz1 »

Koenigsegg_Rox wrote:I'm actually stuck on the same thing, except I'm trying to beat Ryo. Which is a problem, because I get a fairly high 3300 point drift which is on a good run, but then he beats me with a bloody 3400 point drift #-o .

My current drifter is the 350Z, but previous successes have been the RX7 and M3 E92.
Me too, I tear my hair out everytime he gets one of those drifts :( And he uses an Evolution, which isn't even allowed into drift competitions :roll:
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Against him you need perfect lines!
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

fast tip- if you're on a drift track with a gentle curve at the start, nos it early, and then you'll a) be able to make the drift without crashing into the opposite wall and b) you'll get way more points for high speed! :wink:
oh snap

Return to “ProStreet”