Computer Help Thread

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Re: Computer Help Thread

Post by race_invader »

My motherboard doesnt have the PS/2 port, also my mouses are PS/2.
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

race_invader wrote:My motherboard doesnt have the PS/2 port, also my mouses are PS/2.
So is it a USB or a PS/2 mouse? If it's an USB mouse then you should be alright by just puting the mouse in another USB. If it's PS/2 and you are puting it in the keyboard PS/2 then it won't work.
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

Don't worry fixed it, since i had a new motherboard it needed to install drivers etc etc and the mouse was one of them.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

The very thing that was supposed to protect my system is killing it.
http://www.gamearena.com.au/forums/562/ ... hp/4658774
Here is what I've found so far on Norton's ccSvcHst bug, and it's repercussions. In fact, my system has been under performing since Norton 07. What should I use instead, and what do I do to pick up the pieces?
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Oh man . . . I wouldn't use Norton if my life depended on it. Same goes for any anti-virus that you have to pay for.

Personally, I don't use anti-virus at all. Just a good firewall and anti-spyware (Sygate Personal Firewall, Windows Defender).
If you really need virus protection, try AVG, but the best anti-virus is good internet/browsing habits.

As for 'picking up the pieces', a full format + fresh Windows install may be the only way to make everything 100%.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Amen, if you have XP you may want to get a free scanner like AVG, if you have Vista you should be good all together, as long as you don't go looking for trouble...

I do have Norton 08 on my laptop, but that's only because I take it with me when I travel...
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

How long does a format take... how do I go about it, and can I move all my data to my other 2 HDDs? Those HDDs will just get picked up straight away right?
If it's not too much hassle, I guess I'll just format. Never done it before, lol... but my old PC basically deteriorated after 6 years.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Get everything onto your first HD, and format the other two. Then migrate all of your important data to those drives.
To format go to My Computer > right-click on one of the backup drives > Format

Double check that everything is backed up, and boot off your Windows CD.
I can't remember exactly how it goes, but there should be an option to format your drive. Make sure you do a full format, not a quick one, and use FAT32 if the drive is 32GB or smaller, or NTFS if it's bigger. The time it takes depends on the size of your drives.
Then a fresh install of Windows.

Also, what I like to do is download and gather all of the drivers you need beforehand and put them onto your backup drive. This will save time later on and you can install the firewall before you actually go online.

You should set aside a whole day to do this.
Good luck.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

My first drive is small... 80gb high speed... just can't do that. One of my HDDS is new and 20% full. I'll leave that one. Maybe just error check and defrag... the second was a temporary file/ page file/ video editing drive anyhow... I format that one. The main is the problem one.

Yeah, I was planning to gather everything I needed beforehand too. However... I'll need Anti Virus still, and if mum puts Norton back on...
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

You can try a defrag if you want, but I think it will be a waste of time. Performance might improve, but if there are still traces of a bad file/virus/whatever lurking around then things will never be 100%.

If you don't have space for a full backup, then you're going to have to sacrifice some stuff or borrow/buy another hard drive. For anti-virus, throw Norton in the bin and get AVG.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

I've got it figured...
one HDD is 320gb - pics, games, music, movies. (new)
the other is 160gb- backup, temporary, page file, video editing (format regularly)
The main is a fast 80gb- system and programs/documents.
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

i have this problem with some wav files that i recorded with sound recorder in My Promgrams/Entertainment/Sound recorder.

I recorded several wavs somewhere else and uploaded them to a online storage site called Lifenaut. So when i come home to download them, i cant play them back nor use them in my video editing program. The thing is...i played them all back after i recorded them.

Any clues?

EDIT: I put all the wavs into a ZIp file and uploaded to rapidshare. they work now.
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

I'm having a strange problem: no Javascript seems to be working for me. I know I haven't turned it off and it worked fine a day or two ago. I'm running FireFox 1.0.7 and Windows XP. (No, don't tell me to upgrade either of those - I won't; Vista has too many problems and the new FireFox versions have a confusing interface.)
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Update to Firefox 2.0.0.13. It's not confusing.

Or update/reinstall Javascript :roll:
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

boganbusman wrote:Update to Firefox 2.0.0.13. It's not confusing.
No offense, but didn't I say that I wasn't going to do that? :roll: Besides, I'm not sure if my version of AdBlock works on the new FireFox versions. I might update if there is a 1.0.8 but probably no farther.
boganbusman wrote:Or update/reinstall Javascript :roll:
OK, but I haven't figured out how. I'll do that as soon as I can find out how.

EDIT: I bet it's Spybot Search & Destroy doing this - I'm going to see if I can turn "Javascript Blocking" or something off.

EDIT 2: Nope, isn't my antispyware filter. What the heck?

EDIT 3: Reinstalled Java (not JavaScript; I don't think that can be reinstalled) and it didn't help. I have no clue what's going on.

EDIT 4: I've just done a system restore and completely reinstalled FireFox. At this point, everything that I have any control over that may have made a difference has been changed except upgrading FireFox. I hate it when they force you to update to new versions that are clearly worse :x

EDIT 5: Eh, maybe it's just Youtube that's not working - I tried a "JavaScript Speed Test" to see if it even works, and it does. I think it's just a problem with me, FireFox, and YouTube. :? My statement from above still stands; maybe YouTube "upgraded" their system on me and rendered my computer totally incompatible. I hate that. :x

EDIT 6: Hey, one of them works. Maybe it's just the one I was using to test it or something. This is really confusing. :?
EDIT 7: Nope, no others work. Reinstalling Flash... this is getting weird and frustrating.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

RedCarDriver wrote:
boganbusman wrote:Update to Firefox 2.0.0.13. It's not confusing.
No offense, but didn't I say that I wasn't going to do that? :roll: Besides, I'm not sure if my version of AdBlock works on the new FireFox versions. I might update if there is a 1.0.8 but probably no farther.
Are you crazy? There is no good reason to not upgrade to Firefox 2.
AdBlock is 100% compatible.
NoScript is 100% compatible.
And just about everything else.

I'm not sure that it will fix your problem, but you should do it anyway.
Failing that, list all of the firewall/spyware/antivirus programs that you have installed.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Hmm... didnt notice a difference between firefox 1 and 2.
weedman173
Professional
Professional

Post by weedman173 »

I need some suggestions from you guys about cooling for just my CPU. Just recently, my computer has started to shut down randomly after playing games for a while, I have found the source to be overheating so I need some suggestions on what to buy. I am limited to Newegg and anything is an option, I'd like to keep my budget at $60 as the maximum. I just need something that will keep the temperatures down. I currently have speedfan open, and there are two core temperatures one is reading 62C and the other is at 37C, these are idle temperatures, I haven't monitored them during a game though. One question though, what would cause my computer to just start overheating? My computer is just over a year old and I have upgraded it along the way and it is just now starting this problem. I have not made any changes to the fans, case or anything else that would cause this problem.

EDIT: I was thinking of this one, but once again I'd like your opinions and suggestions.
LINK
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

@ Bogan: First, I've been confused as heck by the interface in version 2 and I've had other bad experiences with it; so many, in fact, that I switched back within a day. Sorry, but once again, I'm not upgrading; and even if I did, I doubt it would change much. Anyway, my only software of that type is Spybot Search & Destroy; and I've done my best to make sure that it isn't a problem (I turned off everything that could have possibly made a difference and even some things that probably don't).

@ weedman173: I'd say that it's dust buildup or something - if you "don't do anything" to it, it's going to get old and dustier, hence more heat. Try to clean it out with compressed air or something, I guess, and see if it helps. However, either way, a new fan is probably a good idea.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by YaelDjiel »

/me is using Firefox 2.0.0.13
nothing wrong with it :mrgreen:
on a side note: Adblock + noscript = FTFW!
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

I think it's just my computer that hates 2.0.whatever, then. I'm waiting for 3.0 or farther, to upgrade.

EDIT: Also, I think that the only problem I'm having is that YouTube "upgraded" their site and it simply no longer works for me. At the very least, I still have IE as MicroSoft was "kind" enough to prevent IE from being easily removed from your computer.
weedman173
Professional
Professional

Post by weedman173 »

Thank you for the suggestions Bogan.

@RedCarDriver: When I say nothing, I meant I haven't done things like reverse fans move them around or take them out. All the fans are dust dust free, the first thing I did after I started having the problem was check to see if it was dusty.
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

Ah, new fan would probably be a good idea. It might be "cyber-dust" (as in, gradual Windows bit rot) causing the computer to continuously eat more CPU power, but a new fan is still a good idea.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

I have a serious problem that started happening after I upgraded to 2GB of RAM.

After installed the Windows patch that enabled hibernation for 2GB RAM, my computer crashes right after resuming from hibernate. I get a BSOD with a 07F Stop Code with a 0D code. Basically, something on the system messed up, but Windows has no idea what.

I've checked and rechecked all my hardware and drivers. This issue was not occurring before I upgraded the RAM, so I don't know what could be causing it.

Anyone got any ideas that could help?

Return to “The Hardware & Software”