It's time for me to start driving

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
evilmegamonkey
Professional
Professional
Location: If this post is recent, probably in front of a computer/I heard this thing will cut you off from typ

Re: It's time for me to start driving

Post by evilmegamonkey »

I just hate when people say something like 'Silenced by shame' because some one doesn't come on to a site for like 2 days. It's spring break for me, so I went out and spent time with friends. And ALMOST went to Florida. Not gonna go into detail why I couldn't.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Not that we would even slightly care....
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

TheStig wrote:Not that we would even slightly care....
lol :D
oh snap
evilmegamonkey
Professional
Professional
Location: If this post is recent, probably in front of a computer/I heard this thing will cut you off from typ

Post by evilmegamonkey »

Not that you even read this thing
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

My e-penis is bigger than yours! \:D/

](*,)
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

ROFL @ 1st Post and entire thread! :mrgreen:
korge
evilmegamonkey
Professional
Professional

Post by evilmegamonkey »

xHaZxMaTx wrote:My e-penis is bigger than yours! \:D/

](*,)

And Korge, you're like 13, dont even front.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

evilmegamonkey wrote:And Korge, you're like 13, dont even front.
rofl . . . as immature as korge may be, he is still much older than you :lol:
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

I like how megamonkey quotes HaZ's post about his e-penis to further emphasize how big it is. #-o
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

:roll:
God I couldn't read more than 3 posts with all the RWD bashing and saying he'll kill himself in a sports car.

Ok, 240sx in america, it may be a CA18 engine which isn't great. Look at import shops, they'll have some jap imports like silvias and that. The 180sx will be quite expensive in good nick, a S13 silvia is cheaper. Maybe consider a good old AE86? Umm... A domestic RWD car perhaps? How expensive are second hand BMWs?

Don't get something in poor condition, you're better off waiting, and also, insurance... turbo , v8, or high performance V6 all fetch hefty prices for young drivers, so maybe go for something more restrained or an unassuming and fun car, like the AE86 or Civic. Up to you, you know the situation.

Yeah, I'm in Australia, so jap cars are common and we have our own muscle.

Mods... I wouldn't go too crazy to begin with.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

baumaxx1 wrote::roll:
God I couldn't read more than 3 posts with all the RWD bashing and saying he'll kill himself in a sports car.

Don't get something in poor condition, you're better off waiting, and also, insurance... turbo , v8, or high performance V6 all fetch hefty prices for young drivers, so maybe go for something more restrained or an unassuming and fun car, like the AE86 or Civic. Up to you, you know the situation.

Thanks 'cos he probably would freaking kill himself in a sports car.

Imports are killer to insure. Turbo petrol on a first car = fail.

You = moron.

RWD bashing? Shut up :roll: Ive owned a selection of RWD cars and never crashed one, but that's because I'm a senslible and mature driver, not a happy-go-lucky first timer.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

Go Australia!

(even though I'm not Australian)
oh snap
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

I think we now can officially call this the most useless topic here at NFSUnlimited.net

1. Striker: do you really have to always post useless comments on almost every topic? cause almost everywhere I go I see a post like the one above ^^

evilmegamonkey wrote:
Not that you even read this thing
Sadly... I did read the whole topic, and altough it's quiet amazing to see how you constantly fight/comment on everything said even if it is the truth (not in your onw little world ofcourse)
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

steelsnake00 wrote:
baumaxx1 wrote::roll:

You = moron.

RWD bashing? Shut up :roll: Ive owned a selection of RWD cars and never crashed one, but that's because I'm a senslible and mature driver, not a happy-go-lucky first timer.
Gee, you really are friendly are you. Thanks for insulting me.
Not all teens are morons. And a quote from me:
maybe go for something more restrained or an unassuming and fun car,
I did suggest start a bit lower. Mind you, I only have access to V6s... and the weakest makes 200hp, and I haven't parked myself up a tree yet.
Yeah I know, what did I say?
Oh yeah,
also, insurance... turbo , v8, or high performance V6 all fetch hefty prices for young drivers, so maybe go for something more restrained or an unassuming and fun car, like the AE86 or Civic.
I gave him a sensible choice, but it's ultimately up to him.
RWD bashing?
To sum it all up: Do you want to die young?
Yes - RWD, modifications, track racing
No offence, but if you need to ask all of those questions, then you should be buying a front wheel drive car
A. A lot of the domestics in AU are RWD and are the most easily available. Yes, people hoon around, but remember you can triple the speed limit in a Toyota echo or Honda civic if you are stupid enough to. FWD may be more granny safe, but I know people who drive like tools in FWD cars and I'm surprised they haven't killed themselves.

B." Die young- mods, track racing and RWD."
A bit of a low blow. Track racing is much better than street racing don't you think... and crashing in a track prepped sports car in a tyre barrier after slowing down through a gravel trap is much safer than crashing street racing into a stobie pole in a little beaten hatch.
I guess I'm just sick of the flack that all us young drivers cop, yet I'm always being abused on the road, bullied and always putting up with the blame directed at my age group when I'm trying hard to do the right thing. And yes, I am a car enthusiast and modifier.
Go Australia!

(even though I'm not Australian)
Yeah you are, you live here.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

baumaxx1 wrote: A. A lot of the domestics in AU are RWD and are the most easily available. Yes, people hoon around, but remember you can triple the speed limit in a Toyota echo or Honda civic if you are stupid enough to. FWD may be more granny safe, but I know people who drive like tools in FWD cars and I'm surprised they haven't killed themselves.

B." Die young- mods, track racing and RWD."
A bit of a low blow. Track racing is much better than street racing don't you think... and crashing in a track prepped sports car in a tyre barrier after slowing down through a gravel trap is much safer than crashing street racing into a stobie pole in a little beaten hatch.
I guess I'm just sick of the flack that all us young drivers cop, yet I'm always being abused on the road, bullied and always putting up with the blame directed at my age group when I'm trying hard to do the right thing. And yes, I am a car enthusiast and modifier.
You miss my point. He isn't suggesting buying some RWD domestic, he's suggesting a full, modified, out-and-out sports car. Which as I suggest, is completely unsuitable for a learner or new driver. I have not once said RWD will kill him, I've said that a RWD, high performance car would. I'm not even specifically saying RWD cars- a 250bhp, FWD car is most likely going to be less managable than a RWD one with the same power- it's just high performance in general.

When you're young and with a head full of dreams, buying a Supra or Evo as a first car seems like such a good idea. When you grow up and mature a little, you realise that this isn't the case.

As for track racing being safer than street racing, of course it is. Hence track racing being legal and street racing being illegal :roll:. In my honest oppinion a young driver shouldn't race anything, anywhere, until they have learned the limits of their car and their own performance as a driver. Drive on a track at an organised track day, yes, but that's not racing.

Be realistic for once. Young drivers get flack because, suprisingly enough, they are more likely to be involved in an accident than older drivers. And this is exactly why insurance is so expensive for younger drivers, and why yonger drivers shouldn't get behind the wheel of something with a significant amount of performance until they are suitably experienced.

A car enthusiast and a modifier eh? Join the club. Do or did you drive a high performance car at a young age?
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

baumaxx1 wrote:Not all teens are morons.
Perhaps, but all teens are inexperienced.

I know that a lot of people buy Falcodores for a first car (some of my friends included), and it's generally not a bad choice, but it's not a good idea for a hot-headed teen who is 'into' cars. If you start trying to push it, even just a little bit, you'll have the ar$e end flailing around all over the place.
So even though you can go just as fast in an Echo, you're not going to end up sideways and/or wrapped around a pole with 5 of your mates in the back seat.
baumaxx1 wrote:FWD may be more granny safe, but I know people who drive like tools in FWD cars and I'm surprised they haven't killed themselves.
And there is your own testament to the safety of FWD.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

steelsnake00 wrote: You miss my point. He isn't suggesting buying some RWD domestic, he's suggesting a full, modified, out-and-out sports car. Which as I suggest, is completely unsuitable for a learner or new driver.
Yeah, as a learner, wait. You don't buy a high-po car to learn in. Drive for a while, then when it's time to buy your own car after a few years of experience is when you should even consider a sports car. Still a bit impractical for cost reasons.
Drive on a track at an organized track day, yes, but that's not racing.
Yeah, that's what I think he meant.
Be realistic for once. Young drivers get flack because, surprisingly enough, they are more likely to be involved in an accident than older drivers. And this is exactly why insurance is so expensive for younger drivers, and why younger drivers shouldn't get behind the wheel of something with a significant amount of performance until they are suitably experienced.
For me, it's not performance that's hard to manage , stick to the speed limit, don't be stupid and you'll be fine... the hardest parts of driving are traffic management, this is where inexperience is the issue, and so I do agree with the insurance prices. Performance is easy to manage if you're mature... but yep, some people aren't I guess and I see why everyone is uneasy with a teen with a high-po car. Some of my friends just scare me.

A car enthusiast and a modifier eh? Join the club. Do or did you drive a high performance car at a young age?[/quote]
Probably driving faster cars than most young drivers.
lol.
I know someone who bragged about almost killing himself when he lost control in a slide... in a fwd car, again, my point is people can tool around in anything.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

baumaxx1 wrote: Probably driving faster cars than most young drivers.
I know someone who bragged about almost killing himself when he lost control in a slide... in a fwd car, again, my point is people can tool around in anything.
Go on, wave your e-penis, what do you drive ;)

My first car was a 100bhp Polo. My second was a 140bhp Golf GTi and my third was a 220-odd-bhp Corrado.

You can loose control in any car, or tool around in any car, but like I keep saying, younger drivers are much more likely to do it than experienced ones.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Please don't say Mitsubishi 380 #-o
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Mitsubishi 380.
Pretty good compared to the focuses, old falcodores, echos, barinas and lancers others drive. A few have BMWs, an R32 GTS-T... but no teen really has a performance car. A few may have an S13 or 180sx, but they usually baby it.

@ Boganbusman... it's not a performance car, yes, but all I said is it's probably faster than typical learner cars or first cars... No performance car, and I never called it one, but mum and dad thought it was too powerful for me, lol. They had a Hyundai getz in mind... but dad wouldn't drive one.
my third was a 220-odd-bhp Corrado.
Nice.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

Not to be a stickler for accuracy again, but the 240SX comes with the KA24DE, a 2.4L N/A engine producing 140bhp. It barely has the power to move out of its own way. 140bhp in a car weighing 1190kg will never be fast, and certainly no more dangerous than walking across the street, or trusting your life to a bus driver.

My mature side definitely agrees with Bogan and SS, just as my dad did when I first passed my test. However, my first cars involved a slew of 200SXs (UKDM turbocharged version of your 240SX) and a MK1 MR2. I put it down solely to those cars, that I have so much respect for any car I get into now.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

baumaxx1 wrote:Mitsubishi 380.
:-&
Isn't that just the bastid son of the Carisma, the worst car ever made?
evilmegamonkey
Professional
Professional

Post by evilmegamonkey »

steelsnake00 wrote:You miss my point. He isn't suggesting buying some RWD domestic, he's suggesting a full, modified, out-and-out sports car.

I missed the part where I said that I wanted to find a heavily modded one and buy it.

If you think 140hp is full modified, out and out sports car, maybe you should sell your Geo.

I want to buy one, mods or not, in good condition, and work from where ever it is there, up.
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

evilmegamonkey wrote:If you think 140hp is full modified, out and out sports car, maybe you should sell your Geo.
Your "diss" doesn't get very far with someone who's owned a Porsche 911 and currently has an Audi A4. :|
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Owned...

IM, no matter what car you drive, you are more likely to crash and kill yourself than walking, unless some random gang of burly men come and beat you up...

Anything can happen, I mean in the wet, put your foot down at any speed and my Skyline will shake its tail and give a bit of a powerslide. However, whatever you do is down to your own judgement. If you want to laugh in the face of death and buy a high-powered car or heavily modify a car so it has more power than you can handle as your first car, do it, we won't stop you.

But maybe you should start taking advice here rather than picking arguments with people who are experienced and know a HELL of a lot more than you do, even if you claim to have been driving in paddocks since you were whatever age. Therefore, I side with steelsnake (hesitantly :wink: ) and bogan.

Return to “The Cars”