FPS drop in some games

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

FPS drop in some games

Post by peterfaj »

I thought I had this bug only in NFS PS, but I have just discovered this bug affects Assassin's Creed too, so it's probably a windows bug: When I start the system a game runs well (no problems at all) for some time, but after a random amount of time, the fps drops badly and it remains such until the PC is rebooted. The FPS is low in the other game too, for exampe, if I play Assassin's creed and it starts to lag and then quit the game and start NFS PS, the lag is there too.
This bug affects the following games (so far I discovered it in):
-Need for speed pro street
-Assassin's Creed
This bug doesn't affect the main menu in Assassin's Creed and it doesn't affect the menus in NFS PS (except the race day one, if that's considered a menu).
Please help, this bug is very annoying (the fps drop is vast) and happens very soon after starting an affected game (about 1 min, though it's not always the same).

The time until the bug triggers and if it triggers at all (don't worry, it's back after some reboots :evil:) can be changed randomly by graphics settings and unknown factors. If the bug appears fixed and I change the graphics, then it's not fixed anymore, changing graphic settings back does usually not fix it. This part is very weird and hard to write about.

When I say about the bug being fixed, I mean that after a restart it does not happen again. The same as I wanted to say with "...if it triggers at all (don't worry, it's back after some reboots :evil:)..."

I have an amd athlon 64 3000+, a geforce 6600GT and 1500MB of RAM. And I'm using windows xp pro.
Last edited by peterfaj on 19 Apr 2008, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: FPS drop in newer games

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

Your specs aren't really ideal for Assassin's Creed... you'd need a better processor, 2GB and at least a 76/86GT but i'd suggest a 88GT or GTS.
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

S2000_Skyline12 wrote:Your specs aren't really ideal for Assassin's Creed... you'd need a better processor, 2GB and at least a 76/86GT but i'd suggest a 88GT or GTS.
It's enough to play it. It works fine, but not for long. Though, I found out that the fps drop isn't so common. Random graphic settings changes sometimes help.
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

Uh, no. It's minimum is a Dual Core processor and a 6800GT. Only thing you meet is the RAM requirement. Like I said, A.Creed is somewhat of a demanding game. To get smooth play in it, you need a upgrade.
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
GINIX_2007
Professional
Professional

Post by GINIX_2007 »

I'm Thinking its your graphics card. Whats the temp like when tour playing? it could be throttling.
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

S2000_Skyline12 wrote:Uh, no. It's minimum is a Dual Core processor and a 6800GT. Only thing you meet is the RAM requirement. Like I said, A.Creed is somewhat of a demanding game. To get smooth play in it, you need a upgrade.
That doesn't mean it just won't work..

I'm guessing thermal throttling, since you have random FPS drops and reboots.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Hmm... I sometimes get FPS changes... I think it's more Norton though. But, it's weird... Prostreet runs worse on low setting than medium on my PC...
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

No, I don't get reboots. I have to reboot to make the fps normal again.
Sometimes the fps doesn't drop and games stay playable. That's why I think I should be able to play these games.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: FPS drop in some games

Post by korge »

If the problem persists only untill you reboot, I say its your memory. Once your memory is used up by the game and virtual memory is started to become active, you will suddenly experience lower fps because the game demands so much.

The same issue happened to me when I tried playing BF2 with maxed graphics (ran fine) but would still end up eating up all my memory.

Its obviously not your graphics card. Windows vista alone, requires 1 gb to play minimum spec, so try buying at least 2 gb.
korge
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

I have winXP and 1,5 GB of ram. I think that's enough, though what you say makes sense and the fps drop happens sooner if I set bigger textures in NFS PS.
Another thing: in NFS PS if I have world details all low, the fps usualy doesn't drop.
in AC if I have graphic quality set to 0 it either doesn't happen or happens later than usual. Tho' I think I should be able to play with higher settings as I've seen same effects in other games which worked without a problem.
GINIX_2007
Professional
Professional

Post by GINIX_2007 »

First of all does the game slow down?(lower Frame rate) Our does it start"hitching" for lack of a better term(stutter pause every few seconds or so)If the latter is the problem then it could be what korge said, your out of RAM. But if its just dropping frames then I really think its some form of throttling either your video card or your processor.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

The memory bit makes sense... if the RAM is being used faster than the computer can dump the cache then it would turn to windows for virtual memory... if you do upgrade your RAM, don't just look at capacity. Try to get a lower CAS latency, even if you have to push out a few extra bucks. :wink:
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

does this mean I'll be better off pulling out one of my sticks bringing the speed up to 400ddr, and having 1gb ram instead?
GINIX_2007
Professional
Professional

Post by GINIX_2007 »

I this case i think its better to stick with the 1.5gb RAM. Even if you take out the 512 stick and run at 400DDR the fact that you would now have less RAM would slow u down even more. From personal experience 1GB of DDR266 runs better than 512DDR 400
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

It's at 333...
GINIX_2007
Professional
Professional

Post by GINIX_2007 »

not gonna make a difference. Keep it at 1.5GB RAM
2fast4all
Drift King
Drift King

Post by 2fast4all »

Upgrade to a dual core that will help, you can try finding a 3800+ X2 or 4200+ X2 online (if they have any) and 2gb or ram. I had your kind of system a month ago then upgraded to a core 2 quad Q6600 and 4gb or ram but kept the 6600GT which I current run right now.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

I got the original "dual core", lol. Just a Pentium 4 set-up to split it in half. :lol: It runs all games made for PC fine, ports usually run like crap.

Return to “The Hardware & Software”