Need For Speed Undercover

2008 Need for Speed Undercover
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Re: Need For Speed Undercover

Post by 2furio »

mean2u wrote:Plus why would they pick the GS-T Eclipse when the GSX also came with a factory turbo and a 4WD drivetrain instead of FWD? :lol:
The GS-T was in NFS: Carbon, I believe (not sure).
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

No the GSX was in UG2, Carbon (as an extra car) and Pro Street.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Carbon was a GS-T not a GSX. it suprised me also, but it was.
U1 and U2 where GSX's
Fishwhiz
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Fishwhiz »

its wednesday no car announcements?
mean2u
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by mean2u »

I've mirrored a few new videos on Youtube, check them out here!

Highway Battle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0yyjhRZJAM
Player drives an Audi and zooms down the highway versus another car. I cannot identify the opponent's vehicle although it seems like it could be a 240SX? Hard to get a good look.

Highway Battle - Totaled: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKQSNxBkCR8
A BMW something racing a Benz, player nails some traffic and loses.

Cop Chase: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUoZQCzEQlQ
I guess you lost a bet or have to steal a police car in this? The player is driving away in a GT-R police car and the cars in pursuit consist of fellow GT-R police cars, and what appears to be a Camaro. (0:07 clearly shows some sort of muscle in my opinion)

Enjoy! :)
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Wow, nice find there. The unidentified car in the first video could be a 240SX or an RX7; it's hard to tell. But the car looked like it had the flip up headlights.

Also, it looks like we'll have flying police cars again. Sounds exciting. I kinda like the fact that the police feel more integrated into the game rather than just some nuisance you have to deal with due to the fact that you actually steal one (or more) cars from them.

However, I did notice that during every collision, the camera would do something akin to a snapshot. I think that could get annoying really fast.
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

This game looks really similar to Most Wanted, which isn't a bad thing (Intense, fun cop action), but if it's going to be identical with the addition of a new storyline and a couple of cars, it might get boring for people who've played Most Wanted.

BTW, don't know if it's been posted yet, but there's a new interview on IGN with Bill Harrison, along with high-quality versions of the videos: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/911/911115p1.html
mean2u
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by mean2u »

IGN: Lastly, what's in store for online play?

Bill Harrison: In addition to the classic sprint and circuit race modes, Need for Speed Undercover features an all new exclusive multiplayer mode, Cops N' Robbers. This visceral team-based mode supports up to eight players and pits two teams of four players against each other. Robbers must pick up the money and take it to the drop-off point while the cops attempt to prevent the drop-off. Each game consists of two rounds giving the players the chance to play as the Cops and as the Robbers.
Hot damn!
krazyammo
Professional
Professional

Post by krazyammo »

prince1142003 wrote: However, I did notice that during every collision, the camera would do something akin to a snapshot. I think that could get annoying really fast.
Sort of like Burnout Paradise I believe. Hope there is an option for turning that effect off.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Does anyone see the resemblance between all this and Carbon? Look at the highway battle... it's nothing more that U2's instant challenges with Carbon's canyon effects. :?

Yay, we have a U2/MW/Carbon hybrid! :roll:
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

I kinda like it. It means that EA isn't trying to come up with some revolutionary new gameplay or driving game, but is going back to trying to improving good ideas that were poorly executed.

At least, I'm hoping that's what they're doing. A U2/MW/Carbon hybrid does indeed have to potential to be a big flop.
ahmad0410
Professional
Professional

Post by ahmad0410 »

I'm going down to try out Need for Speed Undercover tomorrow at the Games Conventions Asia. Anyone want to ask any questions in advance? No promises though. :)
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

Last edited by 2furio on 20 Sep 2008, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

OK, here I am once again exactly where I was a year ago when I played NFS ProStreet before anyone else in here could (with the exception of Bojan).

I went to the GCA (Games Convention Asia) held today at the Suntec Convention Centre in Singapore. Yet again, EA's booth was the biggest. No surprises.. So immediately, I went to search for a station which has Undercover on. And there I was, spot on, at the NFS Undercover station. It was on Xbox. So here comes the review.

IT SUCKED. No offense, but it really was. I'm really sorry..

Before we get to the gameplay, let me break it down first. I'm not sure if this has been said before, but the demo has 2 modes (as usual): Pursuit evasion, and another one, which what seems to be an Outrun mode (a surprising revival from NFS' previous game, UG2). In the pursuit challenge, you stole a Nissan GT-R police unit from the station and fled with it, while the cops make a dash to bust you in their Nissan GT-R's as well. Your job is to evade the cops without getting busted or totaling your ride. Upon successful evasion, you'll be asked to go to a Garage, and you'll be transported to Free Roam in an Audi RS4 after, and from what I can see, the way the game works is similar as to Most Wanted and Carbon from this point on: Find races and events. I couldn't really recall which heat I was in when I was being chased in the GT-R as there were no spike strips involved, but the cops weren't gonna cut me any slack. They gave me one heck of a tough time before I could successfully evade them, upon which my joy ride was beyond wrecked. While I was in Free Roam, I was involved with another police chase. They were in their usual Heat 1 Cop Cruisers this time. During the course of the race, there'll be a bar to calculate the damage you've caused to your ride. Once the bar is filled to the end, that's the end of your race.

In the Outrun mode (not really sure if it's called Outrun in this game), you'll be immediately transported to Free Roam somewhere on the highway in a BMW M3 while trailing a racer in an SLR-McLaren. Your job is to Outrun him by 3000 feet with no time limit. However, there's a catch. Unlike UG2's Outrun mode, you're prone to total your ride in Undercover. No more immortality. If you could recall, when we hit onto a traffic during high speed in Drag in UG1-MW, you'll total your ride. It's the same scenario here in this Outrun mode. To make things tougher, the road is pretty congested, and being EA's AI, it somehow managed to avoid accidents and sped off to eternity. Multiple restarts will be a definite possibility in this mode. So after 3 tries, I managed to learn the map a little. Which means you know when and where you should brake and accelerate. I finally caught up with the AI, tailgated him, and nudged him onto an oncoming traffic. There, I gained a colossal lead, and won the challenge.

During my visit to the NFS Undercover booth, I witnessed other people racing in the Skyline R34 and Audi R8. On my machine, I couldn't find those cars; seems like I was restricted to only the Audi RS4.

That's all for the demo. Now... time for the review.

Yes. You heard me right. The game sucked. I was expecting so much more out of this game.

One of the major flaws that really ticked me off was the gameplay. Particularly the cars' handling. Just as you thought ProStreet's handling was bad. Wait 'til you get your hands on the Xbox demo. Maybe it might be the Xbox which led to the major atrocity of the car's maneuvering / handling. I don't know, and neither am I sure. But honestly speaking, I've played the previous games such as Carbon and MW on both Xbox and PS3, and they were soooo much better. The feeling of driving a 4WD Nissan GT-R and the Audi RS4 with the BMW M3 was SIMILAR! I mean, how could it be? I just don't get it. I was also expecting handling flaws caused by the damages. Unfortunately, it was only visual damage. Doing donuts and powersliding were also made impossible; I've tried every single possible way I could. I can't explain much. When you get a chance to try the game, you'd probably understand me better. For now, we'll set this one aside.

Graphics. After watching some of the trailers which were released, I had HUGE expectations, 'cuz the graphics from the trailers' point of view was absolutely phenomenal. But as I was playing the game, it ruined my mood. There were laggy frames every few minutes, and the details (cars, world, roads) weren't that great either. The "wow" factor wasn't there. I was left speechless and disappointed.

My verdict: Try the demo first. I advise you not to pre-order the game just yet until the demo has been released. You'd wanna know how the game performs before you make your decision. Believe it or not, I was at the booth for no less than 15 mins. That's how much I was so turned off by the game. Last year during ProStreet's promotion, I was playing the demo for so long I was asked to leave. This year, a whole different story. If I could sum up the experience, the game is pretty much an exact replica of MW - day races, cops, free roam - except that the storyline will definitely be different. D'oh! I'm starting to doubt if EA will ever listen to us. But for now, I'm going to pass this game for some other alternatives.

My rating: I'll be generous - 3/10
Last edited by Andre_online on 20 Sep 2008, 20:02, edited 6 times in total.
ahmad0410
Professional
Professional

Post by ahmad0410 »

Yea, I'll be giving the game 5/10, just cause its definitely and early version of the game. cause it lags and stuff. but you'll just be seeing this game as just another most wanted.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Andre_online wrote:My verdict: Try the demo first.
Except there won't be a demo.

Hmm, now I'm debating whether or not to get this game. Of course, the version Andre reviewed is probably a very early version of the game (hence the lags etc.), but if he's right about the physics and the handling then I'm not so optimistic.

I guess I should wait for game magazines and websites to review the game before buying. Maybe I can get a more accurate representation of the finished game that way.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

I'm not sure if early version was the cause of this. As far as I know, the feel of ProStreet when I played it last year at the GCA was the same in the actual game itself. In fact, the demo was as close to perfection as to in the actual game.

I wouldn't count on it.
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

Sigh, another rushed NFS game in order to get it out the door before the holidays. If only EA would listen to fans and take their time with the games (aka release one only every 2 years). This is not NHL, you know.
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

Muscle car at 0:07 in the cop chase video is a Challenger
and the AI's car in the outrun mode video is infact a 240sx.
Frenzy
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Frenzy »

...you'll be rewarded with RPG-style experience points that will upgrade your driving abilities.
Epic fail. 'Nuff Said.
krazyammo
Professional
Professional

Post by krazyammo »

Gametrailers TV Undercover Gameplay not sure if it's been posted.
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

krazyammo wrote:Gametrailers TV Undercover Gameplay not sure if it's been posted.
Been posted for a week with a link to the original GameTrailers high res version. Check the previous (5) page.
taz947
Professional
Professional

Post by taz947 »

After watching all the new trailers and reading some of the new reviews, this really is a re-invented Most Wanted. The fence-smashing thing really annoys me...did that in MW too. :|

As for the gameplay, I didn't had a change to try it out, but since it's using the same engine as ProStreet, dunno why it's such a big difference.

So, I'm still not convinced that it's worth, just because it's exactly(maybe,not exactly,but close enough) to Most Wanted.
Couldn't they find a better story? At first, I thought it's gonna be cool, with going undercover thing, new modes, but after I saw these trailers, meh...
vZv
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by vZv »

2 Andre_online
So, I'm not that good at english so sorry for question you have already answered, does graphics look any better than PoorStreet's ??
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

AnNFSreleaseonceayearfail :(

EA even said they had learned their lesson and were working on making this game more slowly. I'm not kidding when I say that if the game comes out within a month or two of now, I'm probably not going to buy it (unless you guys say it's good).

The really sad thing is that all of the competitors (for PC anyway) have either been canceled really long ago or just aren't any good either. Street racing games for PC are a niche market that is slowly waning, I guess :cry: and I really don't want to buy an XBox 360 or PS3.

Also:
TheStig wrote:Carbon was a GS-T not a GSX. it suprised me also, but it was.
U1 and U2 where GSX's
Actually, Carbon's Eclipse was a GSX mistakenly branded with GS-T badging (look in the menu); same as ProStreet's.

Return to “Undercover”