Talk about NFS - SHIFT

2009 Need for Speed SHIFT
Xzidique
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Re: Talk about NFS - SHIFT

Post by Xzidique »

steelsnake00 wrote:@Xzid- most of the body kits are "licenced", or variations on actual race kits. Certainly that's been the case for all the cars I've owned so far (Scirocco, E36 M3, E46 M3, Skyline GT-R, Evo). The works kits are fantastic, proper GT racer/Super Touring kits replicated very accurately

You are right about these kits however you may wanna check cars like VW Golf, BMW 135i, EVOX, Focus ST, Cayman just to name a few....However I will have to agree that some Work kits are fantastic including the Nissan GTR which as long as I know is a replicated XANAVI NISMO GT-R. Thank you very much.
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

steelsnake00 wrote:Drifting is totally, utterly and completely impossible on a keyboard.
not exactly... that one with the 370Z is... however... well not really neither... I managed to pull a 4 sec drift for the last star, and winning isn't as hard as it seems... the competitors are REALLY bad at drifting apparently... as long as you hit most of the "clipping point" you're guaranteed a win... it's just that 4 second drift star is a pain to get even in the best drift circuit with the best drift car set to the best drift settings... because on a keyboard, without the "half throttle"... you will almost never keep drifting... either you spin, either you stop sliding...

ok back to the point... impossible? naaa: 1950+ points on tokyo drift circuit WITH A KEYBOARD!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25575UULdOE

I've actually had a harder time trying to get that score with an xbox360 controller later... with the same car on the same track... I guess I just got lucky, but it's not impossible =)
DMNBT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by DMNBT »

Somehow I'm utterly unable to spin opponents out, and I need to do that for some stars...3 sec. corner slides are also giving me problem.
Has anybody tried to fool around and make sense of the savefile xml?
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

Sounds like many of you are babbling about your PCs more than the game itself... Get a console. They're pretty good at running games properly.

I bought Shift today out of boredom, of which I was quickly relieved. Shift is by far the best NFS I've played in years. Far from perfect, but still a great game (at least thus far). I've only played for a few hours on the 360.

Shift is reminiscent of Pro Street in a big way, but there have been vast improvements. I think it's a great middle ground between simulation and arcade; a good balance of realism and entertainment. The sound effects are probably my favorite part. The engine echos in the tunnels and along walls, and the RPMs sometimes stutter when you shift - it's great. And as a few reviews mentioned, the tire noises are right on.

I found the chase-cam view to be incredibly annoying. The car seems like it's all over the place and it's hard to make proper corrections. But there's no need for that because the cockpit view is fantastic and solves any of those problems. Hard hits into the wall do get on my nerves as the screen becomes blurred and skewed, but it is a great effect - just not when you're trying to hold your position. And, of course, the sense of speed when in the cockpit is really incredible.

The physics are taking some getting used to, but when you take a turn properly, it feels great. Well, at least for grip racing... The drift mode in Shift is a huge disappointment. Not that my expectations were high, considering all the bad things I've heard, but I didn't think it was this bad. I'm actually surprised it didn't get pulled from the game - it would have been better left out. Vaughn Gitten Jr. must have provided some pretty sh*tty input, because this is some of the worst drifting I've seen in a game. Counter-steering seems to bring your car to a halt. Even with every assist off, you can't maintain any sort of decent drift. Even the drifting in Pro Street was 10x better than this.

I'm pretty satisfied with the visual and performance upgrades. The kits look nice and much more realistic. I like that you have to purchase a stage 1 part in order to purchase a stage 2 part; that always seemed like the correct thing to do in a racing game, but it's never the case. The paint tool is great - I find myself changing the color of my cars every few events. I'm yet to play with the tuning or the vinyl systems.

One more downside: No split screen multiplayer! Split screen racing is probably my favorite part about racing games. I really don't understand why it's not included in the majority of racing games being released these days. And it doesn't seem like many people are upset about it... Am I the only one?

Anyway, besides the awful drift mode, the long loading times, and the fact that there's no split screen, this game is very entertaining... Especially for an NFS game.

I'd like to encourage this direction for the NFS franchise. Instead of trying a new concept year after year, they should focus on this genre and improve upon it. They have a good thing going with Shift - an emphasis on the driver's experience, the exciting and stimulating aspects of real racing. I think it has great potential if they stick with it.
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

The only reason anyone got this game is because Forza 3 and GT5 won't come to PC (no, you don't need to point out that I'm overstating).
I won't buy a console just because a few companies can't do anything right. I won't buy a console, because I'm not supposed to need one. I already have a PC better than your shiznit 360, why the firetruck do you want me to buy one? Do you work for microsoft? Microsoft between your legs!
Even if all companies were shiznit like that I wouldn't buy a console (why the firetruck would I then buy games and support them?) and I certainly would not be quiet about it. We were complaining about it and we stopped people from buying it. Exactly as planned.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Zero260 wrote:Sounds like many of you are babbling about your PCs more than the game itself... Get a console. They're pretty good at running games properly.
Consoles are for people too stupid to realise that they need a PC as well; people who want to pay a £20 premium to buy games, have to buy a PC anyway (not to mention a massive TV to get the most out of it) and who want to put up with lower res textures, longer loading times and (in my experience) worse reliability. Also, you can't mod console games. PC FWT.

Anyways, as far as the kits go, the Evo X kit is how you'd imagine a JGTC racer to look. There are no real race kits for the 1-series coupés, though the top level kit on it appears to be based on an autocross kit I've seen for the hatchback. Focus ST and Cayman the same, no real racing kits (besides maybe the odd custom one)- probably due to the fact that both of them (and the 135i for that matter) are excempt from many competitive classes due to their displacement/turbocharger combination (135i would have to compete with 4.2l+ cars IRL due to 1.4 or 1.5 multiplier on forced induction, same with the Focus- can't compete in the 3-4l class. Cayman would be up against more powerful 911's, M3 racecars like the GTR and lots of other very fast cars in the 3-4l class as well).
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

@Peterfaj - take a chill pill, go walk the dog, bang the wife.. whatever. Honestly, nobody said anything to provoke a reaction as harsh as that.

About consoles - I've been a PC gamer for about 10 years. I always hated consoles because of the pricing and the inability to upgrade them properly and the pads you get for them, which, in my mind, are some of the worst controls possible for some games (Racing games, FPS), while they work very well for others (Platform games, FIFA or any sports-based game). Only recently (half a year ago) I was charmed by the ps3 and bought one for GT5, SFIV, Force Unleashed, etc.

What can I say, I do love the damn thing. The advantages over the pc are evident from the get-go. Turn it on, click one button and you're in the game, playing already. It goes a lot faster than on my pc. Furthermore, it's always available. Hasn't broken down once. It's easy to transport (easier than a computer). It never gets hacked. It never catches a virus. It never needs a format. Games that run on it will ALWAYS run on it, not like a pc, where I can't play games like SW:KOTOR or Viper Racing any longer, because I'm running Win7 or Vista. It's simple, it's fast, it's reliable and it's accessible. Everybody develops towards 1 standard and 1 standard only. When you buy a game, you are automatically GUARANTEED that it WILL work, when you throw it in.. unlike certains games I know, where this or that bs hardware requirement isn't met.. because there is a TON of hardware to be had and the target audience varies WILDLY. If you want to get into power consumption, there's that too. My ps3 is thirsty, but I can guarantee it never reaches the 550W my computer can pull.

As for the whole big-screen-needed thing. You do realise that's bull, right? It's not written anywhere that the only place you can play a console is from a sofa. Attach it to a computer screen and play it at your desk - voila, no need for a huge tv. I reckon the jaggies are less pronounced then as well, if that's such a big problem ;). Personally, I have a 40" tv, which I do use from the comfort of a couch. I did not buy it for my ps3 however, but for my pc, so I would have a decent screen to watch movies on - a whole new dimension compared to sitting at the desk :). My ps3 came later and it shares the screen with my pc.

PS - all of this is not to say I've become a console fanboy or that I want to shamelessly promote consoles. The negatives are all still there - games are priced higher than on pc and you're stuck with what you have (which is the whole point, really.. that way programmers know exactly what to work towards and how to optimize towards one fit, which will work for everyone on that platform). So, the newer the titles, the greater the gap between pc graphics and console graphics. Still.. I just wanted to get off my chest that it's not all bad with consoles. They do have their positives.
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

I usually TLDR everything you post Summ, but that's pretty much the point I was trying to make. I just use a single, sarcastic remark to get my point across.

There's no use typing drawn-out arguments for those balls-deep in their PCs... They'll never give. Enjoy your frustration and worrying whether a game will run or not; I'll gladly pay my $20 premium to be sure that the game runs properly, every time.
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

^My post discussing this argument: 549 words. Your review: 589 words. A word starting with "hypo" comes to mind, but whatever. Your choice if you read what I write or not. 1 big post == 10 small posts. Same deal. Only question is who writes. Good luck with that attention span of yours.

Sarcasm has a time and place. It's not always the way forward. Most people will dismiss you for being an bumbumhead and not pay a fleeting thought to your comment. What have you accomplished then? Nothing. Just a meaningless comment no one cares about.
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

My review was on topic. I don't mind taking the time to type out relevant and useful information.
Summ wrote: Sarcasm has a time and place.
Summ wrote:Good luck with that attention span of yours.
Summ wrote:A word starting with "hypo" comes to mind, but whatever.
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

^I wasn't being sarcastic.
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

Having problems with funds? Try this.

Run a quick race drift on Miyatomi, 20 laps, zero opponents. You should be able to with practice get 10-15k points for your driver profile. Make sure to keep your 2x Multiplier up at all times, it will become easier with practice. You will do 20 laps 3 times so you can get 30-45k worth of driver points. Some driver levels can award you handsomely with Sponsorship money. Look at the level rewards and see which level you are closest to that can award you money.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

ffs Summ, the guy (Zero260) was agreeing with you. I doubt I'm alone in being tired of reading your frequent acrid diatribes. There's no call for personal attacks.
Daniel2Hot
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Daniel2Hot »

Danyutz wrote:
Daniel2Hot wrote:can i play this??... this are my specs...
------------------
System Information
------------------
Tons of numbers
Is he allowed to write that much? :-s
i do..lol...and the matter of fact..im rtunning on 3gp of ram...and the problem is loadings fine smooth then passes the bla bla bla wear seat belts take your freaking monster cars in a track and dont srew an old lady across the street...POP..."NFS SHIFT has stopped working"...=_________________= i've been waiting till it came out and i cant play...SAD
Daniel2Hot
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Daniel2Hot »

im getting a PS3 pre-christmas,,,hopefully i can play by then
SLJ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by SLJ »

hey did anyone see the new damage mod made by nfsplanet? well it seems more realistic
download link: http://www.nfsplanet.com/nfsshift_files.php?lang=eng
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Yep, it seems much better. I can't wait to see more mods coming in to make SHIFT a better game. I hope someone creates a mod that will improve the vinyls system, so we could paint the decals, resize them how we want and maybe apply our own designs. :)
KammyworldRacerGT4
Drift King
Drift King

Post by KammyworldRacerGT4 »

Don't forget mirror.
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

yes the damage mod is awesome! but ... you can turn full damage on just for fun... OR you're REALLY good and can finish a race without a single touch... because it's just THAT sensitive... i hit the guardrail at 30km/h in the tight hairpin in london, and i wasn't able to go straight no longer... and my car starts wobbling... and more hit here and there
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

You know that hitting a wall at 30 km/h might be enough to destroy your car? :)

I have a funny story for you. Once a friend of mine decided to take his father's van for a ride (he didn't have driving license at the time). I went with him, while another friend was filming us. Everything was fine, until we decided to go back home. When we were returning to the garage, a car appeared on a corner. My friend got scared, so he braked and turned at the same time, so you guess what happened, the car kept going forward. And going forward at about 35 km/h into a wall resulted in:

- Broken turbo;
- No cooling system (steam was rising from the destroyed hood);
- No front bumper;
- Engine temperature raising really fast;
- The van wouldn't go faster than 80 km/h (I know this because we ran away);
- The wheels were not aligned anymore so the car was wobbling a bit too much;
- Broken windshield.

Total cost of the repairs: 1800€
Consequences: police waiting for him at his home (we stupidly ran away -.-')

So yeah, a crash at 30 km/h is enough to make your car a pile of junk. :P

Sorry for the off-topic. And yes, this is true, it's not invented. It really happened, and I was in the car lol. People that were around the scene when we ran away with a destroyed van said my face was white. :P
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

Game with Gamerchix on October 7th 7pm on Xbox Live.
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Southern California in the desert where it gets 130 degrees

Post by Zotic+ »

how do i get sponsor money in nfs shift? any one know?
Instagram @SupraHKS
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

You obtain Sponsorship money depending on if you get any for a certain Driver level.
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Southern California in the desert where it gets 130 degrees

Post by Zotic+ »

Cpt.Razkit wrote:You obtain Sponsorship money depending on if you get any for a certain Driver level.
thanks, man youve been answering my questions, i have one more. how do i change the sidewall of tire to say falken, right now it says hankook?
Instagram @SupraHKS
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

^You don't. It comes with the tire. Lvl1 tire will say nothing. Lvl2 might say something (I think). Lvl3 definitely says something, but it changes from car to car. You don't have a say in which manufacturer you get your tire from (sadly).

Return to “SHIFT”