Players' Thoughts about NFSU2

2004 Need for Speed Underground 2
anfrey
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by anfrey »

The Flying Dragon wrote:excatly..they should have a seperate showroom just for stylish cars and looks good..possibly a jap style showroom and one for ricers?!
a rice showroom and a clean showroom ..... i posted about rice vs sleeper in another thread... which would u rather have:
- aesthetically flashy but loses every race
- stock looking car but wins them all
The Flying Dragon
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by The Flying Dragon »

your 2nd choice by milesssssss man
...i like clean jap looking cars..
anfrey
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by anfrey »

exactly, same here... the order to modify a car, imho, would be:
- tires
- suspension
- brakes
- tires
- transmission
- power (since i like turbo, i would start by building the block)
- tires
- aesthetics

i wish i owned a tire shop :?
samurilos
Drift King
Drift King

Post by samurilos »

I played it yesterday, yeah finally got it. Its ok not spectacular but good

The cutscenes were what i first noticed, i rathered the ones from nfsu1, nfsu2 cutscenes are like a Max Payne cut scene rip-off and not that good at it, but neva the less this is a racing game, we are lucky to even get cut scnenes and on a level its pretty much ok.

Secondly the intro to the city is pretty good, u get a nice taste off speed in Racheal's car, for the little time anyway.

Then getting ur own car was nice, Stock cars looked much better than in nfsu1, more realistic but smaller, anyway good non-theless.

Finding shops is a pain but u gotta do it, upgrading ur car though is fun, my first perfromance upgrades effects were felt immediately, sounds changed, handling was gr8(corrola).

The Games modes are kewl, outruns, url, etc, very nice, drift though has less of a rush, the whole game has less of a rush.

Overall its good,i do have probs though that i have to admit are kinda dissapointing, every car i race against is the same as mine, i've seen a solution that i'll try when i get home plus the patch.

OVERALL - 8.9/10
exonn
Professional
Professional

Post by exonn »

you say that cars in garage looks better than in nfsug1? i cant agree... when i first time saw EVO i thought "wtf is this". i realy dont like the way it looks... :(
The Flying Dragon
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

well the front of the evo VIII looks a bit weird..BUT the back of it looks decent enough ;) but come on man...the stock cars do look a lot beter than in the first game..
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

Ok, now my thoughts about the game... :)

To sum it up first: I think it's a worthy successor of NFSU better in every aspect.

Now to go to the details.

RACING

I must say that I was very impressed with NFSU's arcade racing style. If NFSU was fast, this is faster! The game friggin flies!
Physics are a tiny bit more realistic than in NFSU, so you'll notice the difference between a FWD and a RWD car, but they're still arcade enough that it won't take away the fun.
Ultra high speed, nitro graphics effect and very nice tracks make an unforgettable experience! This is especially good on tracks with long straights and maybe there's a little bit too few of such tracks.

There is one important thing I have to say: if you prefer sim-styled games, stay away of this as you will be disappointed.

The only drawback when it comes to drive style is the wallriding - going through a corner on the outer side and sliding on the wall is something that takes away the challenge. It's really annoying with the 90 or more degree turns.

If you thought NFSU was tough, NFSU2 is too easy! I must say that the AI opponents are too slow and not challenging enough. In most of the races, especially URL, it'll take you half a lap to get to the first place and then have a constant 1-2 second lead throughout the lap. This might make URL races boring as there's no traffic.

TUNING

If NFSU had a lot of parts, NFSU2 has 2,3 even 4 times as many! You will find all parts from NFSU and a whole bunch of new ones!
If you like to style your car, you'll spend a lot of time in the car customization screens. The options are unlimited!

CAREER

Career is imo a thing that was not done as good as it should. Too many races and not enough story. There's a total of 10 maybe 15 cutscenes with very little dialogues. The storyboard was about 3 lines long.

Free roam is an excellent addition, but there is a chance you'll get tired of it soon <-- this will happen if you don't like the driving style. Once again, if you're a sim lover, the free roam will turn out to be a pain in the behind.

The shops may turn out to be a bit hard to find, but there's enough of them available in the city.

Outruns are another thing that could've been done better. Especially when you have a lvl2 or lower car it's pretty hard to win because of the famous catch up. It might take up to 5 min to win an outrun event.

RACES

About the races: there's plenty available and you have a wide selection but in the end you'll have to do races from each game mode. What can't be left out are the URL races and the circuit. URL is usually pretty good, but unfortunatly there are only 2 locations: airport and racetrack. You'll have to do around 30 URL races and to race on 2 different tracks with a few variations can soon become boring. Circuit on the other hand varies from great races to terrible races. There are one or two races that will last for 10 min. Most of them are around 5, 6 min.
Drag is ok, but imo there are a few straight open tracks missing.
StreetX is a very nice addition!
Drift is same as in NFSU, maybe a bit easier. Still one of the great modes.
StreetX is circuit racing on drift tracks. Quick sharp turns, very good!
Downhill drift will take quite a lot of getting used to, it might be a bit hard. but turns out to be a nice addition as well.
Sprint is basically the same as in NFSU. Some longer sprint don't take away the fun.

So in conclusion.
I like NFSU2 very much! As much as I liked NFSU when it was fresh.
When comparing I must also say that the NFSU2 is a big improvement!
A-spec
Drift King
Drift King

Post by A-spec »

My commets are the game is great :D :D I ;love it :D But I think ity need MORE CARS!!! There are nice cars in the game and I love it, but theres not enouth tuner cars (Like the s2000,mr2, s-15, Etc.) I also love paint but not enouth color change choses. I'd say EA made great inprovement in NFSU2 but it can be better.

NFSUG1 5 NFSUG2 8.5
The Flying Dragon
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

i posted my oppinion of the game..though its negative...i would rate this game 8 this is probably one of my favourite tuner games for now...as its the only decent one..and its doin a good job at it..FOR NOW..
UrQuattro
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by UrQuattro »

I think Bojan is spot on with his assesment that sim-lovers should stay away.

but what many arcade players (Imho) don't realise is that sim racing games are actually much more fun and ejoyable because of the fact that you are good only when you are good, and there are no dirty tricks like wall riding. I wish EA make a step back into Porsche unleashed territory for their next project. ;)
The Flying Dragon
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

hmmm which i means i shud stay away from NFSU2.....but is til like it..hence its PARTLY realistic...PARTLY>..n i do enjoy SOME elemnts of the game..but ur point was wel made...=)
UrQuattro
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by UrQuattro »

Please let me know what's PARTLY realistic, may be I was playing the wrong game. :)
Wolrajh
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Wolrajh »

I guess that when you compare burnout (main opponet of nfsu2 IMHO... so much comparison everywhere :?) and nfsu, nfsu is far more realistic than burnout.

Now it's also far less realistic than, say, Granturismo or ColinMacRae. Can't say, I'm not fond of racing games, but I always liked the NFS very much.

Now, my thoughts about the game itself are that it could have been better. Even if the game is a great step since the first, it's not a huge step. I mean, they even regress in some aspects : what REALLY disappointed me is the lack of characters, and 'scenario'. The comic-style cutscenes are nice, but they are no match to the great (and rare) CGs of the first. In the first you had a bunch of caracteres. I mean, Eddie was there almost all along, mocking you, or even that guy who give you unique perf parts and stole melissa's car... As far as I get there is nothing really exciting in the second in the scenario, except the introduction which make a great transition between the first and the second. With it I expected the game to have a great stoyline, but nothing :/

The low difficulty also make the game boring when you reach a certain point. I mean, those url are sooo long... And those circuits that can last 6 minutes in 3 laps... Well I prefer having few but very long lap, but when you're always in the first position the fun is limited. You almost crash into a common car by purpose :p

Also, having 5 cars is nice but so useless. I mean, I choosed a 206, and since we are forced to run with it and rice it because we lack money to upgrade another, you unlock uniques and build a huge visual rating that your second car can hardly match before the last stage. If the difficulty was higher, I could see the point in switching to a skyline for example, but unfortunately, I don't see it. the 206 can win everything up to the end. That's both good and bad... it means every cars are about the same in the end so you can really use the car you like, but it also means there are no progress as there was in the other NFS games. you have a car and you can go all the game with it. Boring.

When you have enough of roaming but you must still go to that special event and then up from Coal harbor to Jackson height, knowing that afterward you will have to go back because you already completed everything in Jackson, it's a pain in the ass. I already mentionned long and boring and repetitive URLs.
I like the drifts (Waaaay easier than the first, though), the new downhill drifts (harder than regular, imho) and the street X. Drags are nice, longer and faster, with more dangers lurking farther, waiting for you to total on them... :)

Anything left? Well, I don't like the other cars design. Is it random or something ? It's horrible most of the time.

Now, there are a loooot of thing I really enjoyed.
True feeling of speed, very good modelisation of the cars which now looks very realistic, free roaming, nice progression in the unlock process, addition of outruns, nice design of the city, Rachel is a babe (well, ea was so proud of having Brooke Burke in their game...), lot of new parts, 'realism' of the trades (yes, you have to buy new parts for your new car. no, those bumpers for your 206 will NOT go on your mustang :) )

In conclusion, I really enjoy the game even with its flaws, but I must admit that, upon reaching the fifth stage i was starting to hope the game would soon be over.
compton_rider
Stock
Stock

Post by compton_rider »

ill post my experience with this game..im 83% complete with the game..heres my thoughts

circuits- alil long for me, the 7 and 8 minute races suck on easy..because ur a full minute ahead..no challenge

sprints- same as circuits, sometimes just as long

drift- love drifts, even the new downhill drifts rule..my only complaint...some of the tracks are outragiously long and curvy..no real room to get speed, no gradual corners to try to get long sweet drifts

drag- there long..arnt drag races 1/4 mile? anyways..they feel alot like the first..sometimes the steering is glitchy and wont turn right..other then that..the non-normal tracks kinda bums me out..i really wish there was an actual drag track with lights and everything

Street-x- pretty fun, can get long and boring sometimes, it would be cool if it had more drift physics in it..since it is drift tracks

URL- fun!, no complants

outrun- very glitchy at times with whos ahead, really long, 700feet woulda been funner, more quick and to the point...also, when the cars on the roads basically push a push a button and get crazy fast..but just the length kind of stinks...outruns shouldnt havta unlock uniques..they should be optional

free roam- city is large, i like it, freeway doesnt have enough exits though, and the freeway seems crampd..there arnt any jumps to races..which means that goin from the top of the city to the airport..SUCKS..but overall..i really like the city feature..very well done..just needs to be more spacious..i also wish there was a quick jump to go to the shops, like there is for the garage

cars- good range of cars, coulda done w/o some and put some in..me bein a neon fan, was upset there wasnt ANY neon, but yet, SUVS..about half the cars were actually tuner type cars..which kinda suckd

visual- these mods, still suck, the bumpers are still my nightmares on steroids, the wings are re-goddamn-diculous, mirrors were a good touch..but was nfsu style ugly..ditto for the hoods..split hoods, good idea, but i didnt like how u couldnt split ur normal hood, you had to buy a new one..doors were a good idea too, but i wish there were more options then just 2...i also think organisation of the parts coulda been better..theres alot of parts things that coulda had more effort..i liked the headlight colors, not the headlight designs, same for taillights..spinners, a big no no for me

overall..i would give it an 8..alot of stuff EA can improve on..and i think if they worked enough with the brooke chick and mark devillis they should have it dead on

oh ps..i LOVED the fact u can pick individual parts instead of packages now
Donegali
Stock
Stock

Post by Donegali »

compton_rider wrote:me bein a neon fan, was upset there wasnt ANY neon
Eh? I swore I had neons all over my car :o
The Flying Dragon
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

UrQuattro wrote:Please let me know what's PARTLY realistic, may be I was playing the wrong game. :)
umm haha its realistic PARTLY in the tuning options...the stock cars look beter then riced up..HAHAH thats what i mean..the physics are PARTLY realistic...only in free roam mode and circuit and sprint..the rest of da modes..they changed the physics of the cars..WHICH shudnt be happenin in real life..? a free rom city is PARTLY realistic...wel the idea of it is..not the actual city and the city life...which i dont see any..umm...thats about it..? u notice more...PARTLY realistc features?
gofra
Ricer
Ricer

Post by gofra »

Just don't forget guys: damage = much, much slower game. It all starts and end right here...at the beggining if you ask me. Just think how many of you would actualy keep speeding at 300km/h + through a city...
UrQuattro
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by UrQuattro »

gofra wrote:. Just think how many of you would actualy keep speeding at 300km/h + through a city...
We don't know, neither do you, if it would have been better. You have to go by what EA thinks - and they made it pretty clear - damage is a no no.

PARTLY realistic physics ? no they are not realisic at all. Just because a RWD car oversteer it doesn't make it PARTLY realistic. There is no touch with reality at all - because cars take insane jumps (even though they are supposedly running with adjustable downforce), the braking is unrealisticly quick, the grip is just something of a joke, and drafting is way overdone. But I'm not being picky, I accept that the game has no real physics at all, I just don't want others to get the illusion there is something realistic here - there isn't, simple as that. :wink:
exonn
Professional
Professional

Post by exonn »

agree with you 100%, if you need somthing realistic play richard burns rally and after it ug2, and try to see the diferent ;)
f360spyda
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by f360spyda »

the traffic cars are so stupid. if u bump into them from the back at 150 mph, sometimes they dont go flying and just brake really fast and trapping me, so i gotta reset in order to past them up

and the traffic on the highways goes at 20-25 mph. i was bored so i was keeping up w/ one. who the hell goes 20mph on a highway?!
UrQuattro
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by UrQuattro »

Lol, never thought of it, but yes, a major screw up - ai cars on highway must go fast. I think EA just FORGOT about that point, which is really funny. It would make the game much nicer.
f360spyda
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by f360spyda »

UrQuattro wrote:Lol, never thought of it, but yes, a major screw up - ai cars on highway must go fast. I think EA just FORGOT about that point, which is really funny. It would make the game much nicer.
maybe, but i think EA was lazy n didnt feel like letting the AI know when they were in the city and when they were on the highway. the game needs more ramps, too... i could only find like 3 in the entire city.
Juvenile_Kaos
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Juvenile_Kaos »

EA was very lazy in this game ther should have been several more things that they could have done to improve it! I mentioned b4 wat i thought but i think i will just say it again!

the cars in underground 2 dont vary enough they should have more types of cars such as Mercedes and BMW they should have Rols Royces and those types. Most of the cars are from the first game and they left out some of the best ones like the s2000. The body kits are almost the same as in NFSU1 and on some cars they just dont suit.

The cut scenes in the game are really poor something EA games should be ashamed of! NFSU1 was great with realistic cut scenes and some great graphics but now its just stupid pictures that change! POOR!

EA games just basically got NFSU1 and added a few new cars and body kits and a free roaming city wich gets kindy boring sometimes.
Someone said it b4 im not sure hoo it was but i think EA games had sequal syndrome and didnt really put much effort into it!

Dont get me wrong i still like the game and i still bought it but im only giving it a 6/10 because it could have been really good!
f360spyda
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by f360spyda »

Juvenile_Kaos wrote: the cars in underground 2 dont vary enough they should have more types of cars such as Mercedes and BMW they should have Rols Royces and those types. Most of the cars are from the first game and they left out some of the best ones like the s2000.
huh? i dont think rolls royces r built for racing. and most ppl wouldnt add decals n body kit crap to an already nicely looking mercedes
Juvenile_Kaos
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Juvenile_Kaos »

huh? i dont think rolls royces r built for racing.

Wat and hummers, escalades and Navigators are!!!

and most ppl wouldnt add decals n body kit crap to an already nicely looking mercedes

People would! That would be awsome.. you wouldnt hav to go allout with like vinyls n shiznit but it would b nice 2 do up those kinda cars instead of the same kinda JAP cars over n over again!

Return to “Underground 2”