ATI vs nVidia... another tough question

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
tamu0910
Ricer
Ricer

ATI vs nVidia... another tough question

Post by tamu0910 »

I recently bought nVidia FX 5700LE cards. Before I had ATI 8500 Radeon. My new cards have 128 ram but the old one had only 64. Now I am puzzled. ATI i bought around 2 years ago did not see any much difference with this new cards. Rather I see the ATI winning the battlefield in my PC.

Did I made the wrong purchase ?
Is my old ATI really better then the one I just purchased ?

in this nVidia cards I read that its compatible with PCI and AGP both... does that means I can slot this card in one of my PCI slot and get the better performace ? or did I read it completly wrong ?

Forget to mention my PC specs.
Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz
Intel motherboard
512 mb
120 GB hard drive divided in to 2 partitions
WIN XP SP2
AGP only support 4x

Thank you all
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

Only 4x AGP support can be a problem, since 5700's have 8x (extreme) support. Still, it should be much better than your old ATI. Old drivers for the GF could be a possible issue, but it should still be better.
paras779
Drift King
Drift King

Post by paras779 »

I think ATI is better one..
EmptyWords
Professional
Professional

Post by EmptyWords »

i often hear that ATI is tons better, but i dont know anymore, benchmarks show one thing, and people say other things, my geforce sucks... i gota fx5700le with 256 ram
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

My dad has a Radeon 8500, It's WAY old... Older than my Nvidia geForce 2 GTS. (32MB)
tamu0910
Ricer
Ricer

Post by tamu0910 »

Mr. Stereo can you please look at the forum title Desktop themes
I have some querry for you please
thank you
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

It has been allready sayd in this forum, that 256 boards are crap, since the mem modules 256 boards have are slow. That can be a problem.
Sir Ibi
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Sir Ibi »

have you tried updating your drivers... i had a similar problem too, when i replaced my ATI 9600 XT for NVIDIA 6800GT, which is £200 more expensive and didn't notice any difference for some bizarrare reason, updating my drivers solved this problem. Try looking for the latest drivers at the NVIDIA web site >>> http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Also be sure to have completly removed your old ATI drivers and files, and try downloading and installing this free software >> http://www.drivercleaner.net/ >> it removes the registry files of your ATI drivers. Hope it helps
tamu0910
Ricer
Ricer

Post by tamu0910 »

well actually what I most of the time do if I got new important hardware like cpu or the mb or the video, reformat and install everything again. So basically that means there is not a single thing that can relate to ATI at this moment in my comp. And yes I always like to download and install the top most latest driver even if my card sometime doesn't support.

Actually my pointers was that just before I reformat the pc I noticed no such changes in the game play but I rather found it little worse then with the previous card. Not to mention the card time period which is 2 years. I bought that 8500 in 2001 or 2. Well actually I bought the original ATI built card and that cost me alot of money like say HK$1,800 (US$230) but this new card is only HK$ 700 (US$90) . Well ofcourse the pc price has gone down but definetly 8500 at that time was the top of the line card when I bought it.

Anyway now after I got everything reformat and reinstal XP with SP2 and nVidia's new driver I can't really tell the difference but if I have to say it I'll say its not good.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Full reinstall? Chipset drivers are installed (if not, AGP performance is non-existent)?

Return to “The Hardware & Software”