Rock Music

Serious discussions on matters not covered by other boards. The un-serious type of users should refer to the Can of Spam.
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Rock Music

Post by Jopuma »

I figured that since there is a Rap Music topic why can't there be a rock one? Well anyway here it is.

Bloodsucker Pt.II is a really good song by As Cities Burn, but then again how can they make a bad one.
Dizzi
Professional
Professional

Post by Dizzi »

what would green day be classed as and what is indie music?
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

Green Day would be classified as Punk Rock.

In popular music, indie music is any of a number of genres, scenes, subcultures and stylistic and cultural attributes, characterised by independence from commercial pop music and mainstream culture and an autonomous, do-it-yourself approach.

The word "indie" is sometimes used to refer specifically to various genres or sounds. During the 1980s, "indie" was synonymous in Great Britain with jangly guitar pop of the C-86 movement. During the 1990s a lot of Britpop bands were referred to as "indie", despite most of the movement being signed to major labels and dominating sales charts. More recently, the word "indie" is sometimes used as a synonym for new wave revivalist bands such as Franz Ferdinand and The Killers. The word "indie" is sometimes used as a synonym for alternative, a word which often bears the stigma of being associated with cynically manufactured mass-market teen-rebellion music from major labels. Such usages of "indie" may be considered inaccurate for various reasons: for one, stylistic qualities are often not accurately correlated to commercial independence or adherence to indie principles (this is particularly true when a sound becomes popular, its leading exponents are signed by major labels and more success-oriented bands and production teams attempt to imitate the style; this ultimately culminates in commercially driven artists sporting the same stylistic traits the "indie" artists of a year ago had). Secondly, however pervasive any style of music (even one as broadly defined as "guitar pop" or "post-punk rock") may become at a particular time, it by definition cannot embody all of indie music, as, by indie's nature, there will be indie artists, labels and entire local scenes operating outside of this style and its definitions.

http://www.purevolume.com/sidesofthenorth
http://www.purevolume.com/foreverchanged
Prophet
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Prophet »

The Used, Saosin, Glassjaw, Yeah 3x, The White Stripes... many more...
Just naming a few of my favs. 8)
Rock On!!! *headbang*
User deactivated:
SliM_880
Professional
Professional

Post by SliM_880 »

The only rock songs i like are linkin park songs and Decadence (however it is spelled) by Disturbed...
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Disturbed is a good band. I like their predescecor, Korn. Unfortunately, seems they are going down the whole with there band breaking up and all.
korge
NFSBLUECIVIC
Professional
Professional

Post by NFSBLUECIVIC »

i like disturbed, but korn just flat out sucks, i also like iron maiden, twisted sister, acdc, metallica, trapt, crossfade breaking benjamin linkin park, and many more of my 70+ cd's.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Well it is your opinion. I happene to like some of their old stuff. They have become mainstream and with that, there music went downhill. I dont listen to them much anymore anyways.
korge
Dragon-of-Rune
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Dragon-of-Rune »

Accually Jopuma, Green Day is Commercial(mainstream) Punk Rock, thus meaning it's crap (my own opinion btw). They have been created by some stupid record label and commercial(mainstream) music stations to put some money in there pockets. And live they suck big time, please give me the studio editied version it sounds much better (and also that sucks).

Only korn cd that sucks is the last one, it only has 2 or 3 good songs and that's about it.
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

Well I did say that they were punk rock. So it'd still be the same thing.

Any way I like the song entiled "The Truth" by Relient K. It's really cool. What he says in it is pretty true. "Sometimes the hardest thing to believe is the truth."

"Miracle" by Storyside: B is good too.

http://www.gotee.com/host.php
Fishwhiz
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Fishwhiz »

i like tons of rock. hard rock, geberal rock, soft rock, metamorphic, igneous, sedimentary,
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

I suggest As Cities Burn, Flyleaf, and Underoath for your hard rock/screamo craving.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Dragon-of-Rune wrote: Only korn cd that sucks is the last one, it only has 2 or 3 good songs and that's about it.
Yea. Take a look in the mirror wasnt too great. :x

And why is Jopuma posting lots and lots of band links. I thought we were discussing the Rock music, not looking at bands.. :?
korge
Dragon-of-Rune
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Dragon-of-Rune »

Take a look in the mirror isn't there last cd.

"See you on the other side" is there last cd. I hope you are not a korn fan, but just somebody how like's there music. Or did you mean "Take a look in the mirror wasnt too great EITHER" If so forget what i just said ;)
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

korge wrote:And why is Jopuma posting lots and lots of band links. I thought we were discussing the Rock music, not looking at bands.. :?
Because I'm posting cool songs and I know a link to hear them. :roll:

I'm still discussing its just that when there is a really good song I post a link to it as well.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Dragon-of-Rune wrote:Take a look in the mirror isn't there last cd.

"See you on the other side" is there last cd. I hope you are not a korn fan, but just somebody how like's there music. Or did you mean "Take a look in the mirror wasnt too great EITHER" If so forget what i just said ;)
I just like some of there music. Im not too crazy abot them. I think they look stupid (the way they dress and act). :P
korge
underoath285
Drift King
Drift King

Post by underoath285 »

rock is sooo much better then rap....but it depends on what type of rock....here are my fav. bands, ill be surprised if anyone has heard of them:

Alexisonfire
As I Lay Dying
Atreyu
Between Home and Serenity
Darkest Hour
Fear Before The March Of Flames
Finch
From Autumn to Ashes
From First To Last
Hit The Lights
Hopesfall
HORSE the band
Killswitch Engage
Mindless Self Indulgence
The Movielife
Rancid
Refused
Rufio
Saetia
Saosin
Saves The Day
Senses Fail
Silverstein
Sparta
The Pestilance Choir
Thrice
Thursday
underOATH
Emanuel
With Broken Wings.

^yes quite a wide variety, but definitaly good music....they should consider this entire list for the next NFS
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

The only ones I've heard of are Thursday and Underoath. Those two are some great bands.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

I am mainly a Rock guy, but I have NO Idea what most of the bands are that Jopuma links to same goes for underoath285's list....I do know 1 from underoath285's list and that is it...
I still live in the 90's :P

I do have 4 cd's from KoRn, logically the early CD's: KoRn, Life is Peachy, Follow the Leader, Issues. the later cd's I don't have. I still do listin to it when I am eighter pissed or just simply feel like it.

Back in 1998 I had braided hair for a while (not verry long just like 10cm) but it was a Pain in the *ss to maintain and my girlfriend did not like it at all... so I just got short "normal" hair.

Now I listen to almost anything but my fav is basicly rock in general or a crossover with rock and a other style., in MW I do like the song by disturbed. it got a nice pace to it. :D
There aren't much rock songs I don't like, can't say the same about RAP or hiphop etc.
underoath285
Drift King
Drift King

Post by underoath285 »

yeah, my list is all newer hardcore/screamo/metal.....but hey the '90's did bring Operation Ivy, right?

anyway, i think the best song in MW is "Hand of Blood" by Bullet For My Valentine....

although disturbed's song isnt bad

anyway, we can agree rock rules and rap sux, no?

btw, which one was the band that you knew from MY list?
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

I was the one who recognized two bands from your list. And you're quite right. ROCK RULES and RAP SUKS!!
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

I only know Rancid from your list but if I am not mistaken that is because of NFS also... (correct?)

In Rock music I got stuff like:

KoRn
System of a Down
Rammstein (not full rock but a crossover)
Rage Against the Machine
Sepultura
Guano Apes (german band also but in english)
P.O.D.
Papa Roach
Therapy?

Stuff like that

but I listen to alot of stuff from the Bloodhound gang to Vanessa Carlton and from Nightwish to Dune (europeans might know it 90's dance music) but do listen to classical compositions like movie soundstracks (Hans Zimmer, John Williams, James horner)

I'm a pretty wide minded guy
Prophet
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Prophet »

Now how about the old school punk rock...
Pink Floyd
The Ramones
Yeah!!!
\\[][][]//\\[][][]//ord...
User deactivated:
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Yes Pink Floyd is awesome :D

My other favourites include:
Queens of the Stone Age
Audioslave
Soundgarden
Rage Against the Machine
AC/DC
Deep Purple
U2
Linkin Park
System of a Down
Foo Fighters
etc . . .
Prophet
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Prophet »

Tenacious D's song "Tribute"... Man that's funny and great at the same time. :lol:
Is David Grohl really their drummer???
User deactivated:

Return to “General Discussion”