New Interview at Game Informer

Need for Speed ProStreet News (visible on NFSUnlimited.net)
Skyline_man
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

New Interview at Game Informer

Post by Skyline_man »

The online magazine Game Infomer posted an interview with producer John Doyle, a producer on NFS Pro Street. While the interview doesnt reveal any new information, you still may find it interesting.
Game Informer: You guys are trying something new every year, and this seems to be a little bit more of a realistic look at street racing.

John Doyle: We’re trying to get a realistic, believable street-racing vibe. We’re trying to reflect what we see the culture doing. The culture is really moving away from that bling, the neon, the fast and the furious thing; the cars that ride on trailers but don’t actually ever ride on the track. It’s moving much more in the direction of emphasizing performance and skill, and we try to reflect that. We’re a video game, so we try to reflect that in a way that’s as cool as we can possibly imagine it.

GI: Does that mean that you’re going to get away from some of the—and don’t mind me saying this but—some of the cheesy CG actors and plot movement.

Doyle: (laughs) It’s certainly not going to be anything like what you saw in Most Wanted or in Carbon. We’re not really looking at the green screen with the actors. We think it’s important to set the game experience in the world and in the culture, and we think it’s really important to make sure there’s a strong context of motivation that helps guide you through the games. There’s certainly going to be a story, there’s a reason to race, but I don’t think it’ll be as recognizable as anything that was in Most Wanted or Carbon.
Read the rest here.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Nothing new that we didn't already know.
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

Is this gonna be like last year where in every single interview I hear the same thing over and over again? I remember last year, the only thing I heard were "Muscle, Tuner, Exotics" and "Teammates". I knew the list was freakin' divided into Muscle, Tuner, Exotics...I don't need you to tell me 10 times over.

Hopefully, this time around, I'm not gonna hear "Damage" and "Simulation" in every single interview. Please...spare me the humility and actually get some decent new information.
SP4RCO
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by SP4RCO »

Nothing new you say? You ought to learn to read between the lines ;)
Doyle: We generally do. The production team and the initial design team were the guys who drove Most Wanted. They didn’t work on Carbon—they focused on the, “what is the next game going to be?” They were able to take a team that started at 20 people and built up to about 50 people, which is now well over 100 people, and started work on the long lead tech—things like damage take a long time to get right. Things like smoke you can’t do in a yearly cycle. So we make sure we start those technologies as early as we can so that we can get them into the game.
Realize? GOOD!!!

GI: No police?

Doyle: In this game there aren’t any police. In the past they’ve provided a pretty strong consequence—if you mess around too much, you run the chance of getting busted. This year that consequence is really driven by damage. This game is about your ability to build and drive fantastically powerful cars and that’s where we wanted to keep our focus.
Tuning (performance) will be really deep, apparently way more than that in nfsu2.

GI: What are some of the racing disciplines you’re going to be perusing in this game?

Doyle: We’ve got Grip, which is traditionally a circuit mode, we’ve got Drift, which we’ve really reinvented significantly. Reinventing our physics allowed for us to do Drift in a way that we haven’t been able to do before. Drag has come back this year and controlling a 1000 horsepower car down a strip is not an easy task. We also have a new mode, which we’re calling speed challenges which is all about pushing that car as fast as you possibly can and riding the edge of control.
Unless those are empty words, it could mean the cars won't get automatically straight (from lane to lane by just pressing the arrow keys) like in all the previous games. This would definitely rock, specially using a wheel.
Still rolling my eyes :roll:
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Ummm, stuff that was already evident from the interviews and the exclusive hands-on from the NFS fansite owners.

We knew that this game went into development right after Most Wanted came out.

We knew the Dyno will be back and the Wind Tunnel makes an appearance. We also knew that there will be parts from real life manufacturer and each part will affect the car differently.

And from the hands-on sessions, we knew that controlling powerful cars without assists isn't a walk in the park anymore

So, nothing new in this interview.
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

Like prince1142003 said...nothing new. I mean, the Carbon team is probably cooking up ideas for the NFS after ProStreet. I suggest that EA fire the Carbon team and then release a great NFS game every 2 years...
RavenGT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by RavenGT »

2furio wrote:Like prince1142003 said...nothing new. I mean, the Carbon team is probably cooking up ideas for the NFS after ProStreet. I suggest that EA fire the Carbon team and then release a great NFS game every 2 years...
Or, we can think in a more logical way and say, merge the two teams together?
krist
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by krist »

RavenGT wrote:
2furio wrote:Like prince1142003 said...nothing new. I mean, the Carbon team is probably cooking up ideas for the NFS after ProStreet. I suggest that EA fire the Carbon team and then release a great NFS game every 2 years...
Or, we can think in a more logical way and say, merge the two teams together?
Dude, carbon was embarassing...the only thing it had going for it was the vynil and autusculpt, even though they gave us the crapest wheels and bumpers possible to modify...

What they should be doing is mergin old school NFS with new school NFS, thats when the game will shine, and i dont mean remaking old games with new graphics i mean actually bringing in new features and stuff.
ahmad0410
Professional
Professional

Post by ahmad0410 »

SP4RCO wrote:
GI: What are some of the racing disciplines you’re going to be perusing in this game?

Doyle: We’ve got Grip, which is traditionally a circuit mode, we’ve got Drift, which we’ve really reinvented significantly. Reinventing our physics allowed for us to do Drift in a way that we haven’t been able to do before. Drag has come back this year and controlling a 1000 horsepower car down a strip is not an easy task. We also have a new mode, which we’re calling speed challenges which is all about pushing that car as fast as you possibly can and riding the edge of control.
Unless those are empty words, it could mean the cars won't get automatically straight (from lane to lane by just pressing the arrow keys) like in all the previous games. This would definitely rock, specially using a wheel.
Hmm, those aren't empty words though, and the sentence actually means you have to control that high-powered car to go straight and to avoid spinning it out because of its high power/speed.
fasttasf
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by fasttasf »

I've been tricked by this producer last year on Carbon which turned out to be a pile of brown stuff. 2 months after release, Carbon was already in the discount shelf in the GAME shop, that's how fantastically poor this game is. Now look at what this producer says about Carbon, I doubt anything coming out of his mouth bears any truth at all! The only thing that's remotely good about prostreet is the team developing it is not the lame carbon team. If EA really develops games in the way he described it, I will definitely skip the game after prostreet (maybe not even prostreet) because that'll be developed by those idiots who made carbon. The whole thing about this press release lately seems like a publicity stunt in a bid to keep NFS on the map when most people have turned to test drive unlimited which is much better than NFS in everyway apart from sound effects.

Two years ago, I actually suggested in EA's NFS forum something extremely similar to how TDU works, free roam online, instant challenge online, in game community clubs etc, and what have we got from EA? A disgusting game called Carbon. Funny that TDU is making loads of money on this concept whilst EA turned a blind eye to what people want. It seems atari has more sense then EA full stop. If you believe this producer really listen to what you say here or on any other forum, you are a complete fool, and I don't for a second doubt that prostreet is at the very most 50% as good as what it sounds like from this producers mouth.
QX6850
4GB DDR2 PC8500
2 GEFORCE 8800GTX SLI
X-Fi Extreme Gamer
1000Watt PSU
red_dawg
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by red_dawg »

we have to control the car in drag. cool. In u1/2 and mw all you had to do is shift gears and avoid traffic cars by pressing left or right. Now, without traffic, I hope there's going to be something challenging. They also said there are going to be thousands of parts, hundreds only for performance.

btw: I liked Carbon. can't say it was an excellent game, but I had fun playing it.
Caine pan' la moarte si dincolo de ea!
Fishwhiz
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Fishwhiz »

the only kick i got out of carbon was running cars off cliffs.

Return to “News”