Crop car from screenshot

Ask and answer questions about Need for Speed Most Underground 2.
Be sure to search first!
EVoLVeR_iNc.
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Crop car from screenshot

Post by EVoLVeR_iNc. »

Hello there,
could someone tell me how to cut out a car from a game screenshot? I tried to cut out a car and past it on another background, but staircase effect appears on the cutting line and this looks very ugly. I would like it to be like THIS for example.

I have Adobe Photoshop CS2 installed.
master m
Valued Member
Valued Member

Re: Crop car from screenshot

Post by master m »

EVoLVeR_iNc. wrote:I would like it to be like THIS for example.

I have Adobe Photoshop CS2 installed.
You've picked a screenshot made by a pro. (With reflections, background, txt, ...)
Cropping a car in CS2 is really easy.

click this link for a tutorial: (#3 in the pic is the crop-tool)
also check the other functions.
http://www.digimods.co.uk/tutorials/tools.htm
EVoLVeR_iNc.
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EVoLVeR_iNc. »

Sorry, maybe i did not explain exactly what i want to do. I don't want to cut out a square around the car (cause that is what the crop tool does), i want to cut out the car itself only, exactly on the border lines or how it is called. Like in the picture from the pro.
Pabl0z
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Pabl0z »

I myself cut the car just roughly to a new pic and then just zoom in and carefully erase the things that need to be erased... Dunno if there's an easier way but that is what i do.
lol wut
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

CS2 has a tool called the Magnetic Lasso. If you don't know where it is, use the program's built in help feature. the help explains it beautifully.

when you take your screenshot, open it up in CS2 and promote the background to a layer. then use the magnetic lasso tool to select and delete areas around the car, leaving you just the car on a transparent background. you may have to zoom in and use the eraser to erase parts the lasso didn't catch then add background effects and any other stuff that you wish.

as for reflections, those are extremely hard, especially the ones in the screenshot you provided. however, you can use shadows to enhance your car. most of the cars in my garage have shadows. if you need help with creating shadows, drop me a PM

hope that helped
EVoLVeR_iNc.
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EVoLVeR_iNc. »

Thanks, the magnetic lasso runs very well, but which settings do you use? (feather, anti-alias, width, edge contrast and frequency) I assume feather should be set to 1 and anti-aliasing switched on, but what about the others?

Also, in which ingame background do i have the best lightning conditions? (audioshop, carlot, crib, megaloshop, paintshop, partsshop or perfshop)
DArgo
Drift King
Drift King

Post by DArgo »

My settings are:
feather 0
anti-alias ON
width 10
edge contrast 100%
frequency 100
pen preasure OFF(i don't know what it does :?)

About the lightning conditions- drift track for in race and specialities shop for garage
I hope this helps you :)

BTW For those who don't have CS2 don't worry there's magnetic lasso in CS1 too :wink:
EVoLVeR_iNc.
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EVoLVeR_iNc. »

ok, thanks.
In another topic of this forum someone told me to disable enhanced contrast and overbright. do you agree?
DArgo
Drift King
Drift King

Post by DArgo »

It depends on the colours you've chosen. Sometimes the vinyls and the body work can't be seen clearly, if they are ON but if It's not that case I always use them :wink:
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

EVoLVeR_iNc. wrote:Also, in which ingame background do i have the best lightning conditions? (audioshop, carlot, crib, megaloshop, paintshop, partsshop or perfshop)
i find the Paint Shop has the best Indoor Lighting Conditions. however, i never take screenshots indoors. why? there's barely any reflections. the indoors environment doesnt have anything to reflect, so the car is deviod of many reflections. outside, there's tons. look at the Nissan Sentra in my garage. you won't see those chrome wheels in the garage.

i use the NFSU2 +10 Trainer to lock the camera in position. Free Roam works best. once the camera is locked, you can move your car around into a desirable position and take a screenshot. most people here acutally race the car, but i find i have more control if i use the trainer.

http://www.gameadvice.com/exe/nfsu2trn10.zip

that's where you get it at :D
EVoLVeR_iNc.
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EVoLVeR_iNc. »

prince1142003 wrote: ...look at the Nissan Sentra in my garage. you won't see those chrome wheels in the garage...
I have also noticed this, but i wondered how the others took their screenshots from that angles. now i kno, thanks bro. :D
EVoLVeR_iNc.
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EVoLVeR_iNc. »

And now look what i was doing for the last 4 hours. Keep in mind that this was the very first time i worked with adobe photoshop. Before uploading it to my garage, i would like to hear some opinions.

jj_4
Drift King
Drift King

Post by jj_4 »

looks really good for a first time using photoshop, but id add one more view from the front, a small one and transparent in the white part. btu that might just be me. overall nice job here me :wink:
EVoLVeR_iNc.
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EVoLVeR_iNc. »

jj_4 wrote:looks really good for a first time using photoshop, but id add one more view from the front, a small one and transparent in the white part. btu that might just be me. overall nice job here me :wink:
You could be right. Personaly i like the idea with the small picture in the picture more than a transparent one over the white area. But i have chosen this view because the best user rated car is also an infinity and also the same view angle.
DArgo
Drift King
Drift King

Post by DArgo »

The best user rated car changes too often to take It as an example, check my Celica Its pres is nothing like that but It was the best user rated car about a week ago 8)
We vote for the car not for the pres, so I think that adding a front view is a good idea. I personally would go for the transparent one :wink:
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

whoa... nice job with the reflection..... it's a nice car too.... my only advice is avoid using back views when there's only one view in your pres.

keep up the good work

Return to “Help & Support”