Teh Laptops topic

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Check in Control Panel->Add/remove programs and remove everything you are not using (and isn't related to hardware/security/updates).

Also scan your system for adware/viruses. Those often add their often resource hungry processes.
Gay
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Gay »

PSZeTa wrote:That doesn't make sense, the amount of processes is all done by yourself. If you install lots of crap, your Acer will obviously take longer to start up.
the problem is my acer is as stock as a brand new acer from factory.

den if i go to msconfig>startup and change some processes, my bluetooth stops working and i cannot change the volume.

1 more noob question, does laptops get hot after using for a while?? my acer is able to cook a finger, i even got a burnt form touching the keyboard...
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Gay wrote:den if i go to msconfig>startup and change some processes, my bluetooth stops working and i cannot change the volume.
Well, if you just randomly stop things not knowing what they are...

Factory stock you say? That's an awful lot of crap they pre-install then. Which Acer laptop would that be exactly?
Gay
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Gay »

acer travelmate 3282
bam_bam
Drift King
Drift King

Post by bam_bam »

I'm considering buying a laptop , I dont wanna spend anymore than 500 pounds on it though. I know for 500 pounds its not going to be that good but I was j/w if you gus can recommend anything ?
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

You should be able to get a nice Speak n' Spell from Fisher Price for that..
bam_bam
Drift King
Drift King

Post by bam_bam »

Skyline .......... Im sitting on about a grand and a half of kit here so dont think Im just looking for any old computer . Im just after something for college .
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

For that you can get a brand new entry level laptop. Or if you can find something slightly used (6 months - 1 year) perhaps something with a bit more punch. Very hard to recommend anything specific.
SliM_880
Professional
Professional

Post by SliM_880 »

My laptop: http://laptopmag.com/Review/HP-Pavilion-ze2000.htm
hp pavilion ze2000...

i think its really really good, but i need a videocard :(
Calibra_14
Banned

Post by Calibra_14 »

Cool one
HP Laptops are cool and expensive :P
bam_bam
Drift King
Drift King

Post by bam_bam »

Nice I might go for that actually .
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

im thinking of buying this one
http://www.saveateagle.com/avavavno1se3.html

its $200 cheaper refurbished. If there are problems, i can send it back. I like Averatec.
SliM_880
Professional
Professional

Post by SliM_880 »

someone told me u cant put a videocard on a laptop... i that true? cuz if i can put a videocard i will to play some games.... as i said before, this is my laptop http://laptopmag.com/Review/HP-Pavilion-ze2000.htm
bashderq
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by bashderq »

Because of a laptop's 'slim' design, it isnt recommended that non-professionals mess around with the internals. You may be able to get a gfx upgrade only through the distributer, not as an 'off the shelf' part.

p.s - laptops aren't really gaming rigs. Not even the Alienware Area 51M 7700 could crack the trend. IMO, a gaming lappy isnt really worth it. If you really want a portable gaming device, PSP is still the way to go 8)
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

With a very few exceptions, you cannot change the graphic cards on laptops; it's soldered on to the motherboard.
SliM_880
Professional
Professional

Post by SliM_880 »

shiznit... that sucks... ill just have to get some simple games that work on my laptop just to play with in spare time....like worms 2 or something like that...
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

My mom just got a 17" Widescreen Toshiba Satellite. The guy at the store suggested it for gaming, but it doesn't even meet Halo's minimum requirements. :roll:
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

xHaZxMaTx wrote:My mom just got a 17" Widescreen Toshiba Satellite. The guy at the store suggested it for gaming, but it doesn't even meet Halo's minimum requirements. :roll:
where did she get it from? cuz I went to Circut City and this guy suggested a $1800 Laptop cuz it was the most expensive. I showed him that a $600 laptop they had could contend with it. Obviously he didnt know shiznit. :lol: I almost think i could get a job there... lol
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

It was still a great deal, I just won't be playing Halo on vacation.
Firestran
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Firestran »

I have a Toshiba Satellite A75. If any of you are thinking of buying a toshiba satellite think again cause they have a serious rpoblem of over heating. I didn't have mine for even 7 months yet and it just kept crashing on me cause it was over heating. I think the some part had eventually got damaged by the heat, I had to get the entire board changed, fortunately my warrenty wasn't up and where I was at the time there was a toshiba certified technician. I you want to buy a labtop get a dell (for service) and acer and alienware for performance and reliability
The Gravedigger
Professional
Professional

Post by The Gravedigger »

Firestran wrote:I you want to buy a labtop get a dell (for service)
Sure, buy a Dell and have it go up in flames on your lap.... oh, and for service you'd be much better recommending someone like Alienware.

If you even buy an Acer Inspire you're an idiot, prepare to have one of the world's least power efficient laptops, heck if it wasn't for winning one in a cereal box competition I wouldn't be owning one. Oh, and it has the award to prove it has the worst battery life for an '05 release laptop (or have they always had it?) aswell.
t3ice
Professional
Professional

Post by t3ice »

xHaZxMaTx wrote:My mom just got a 17" Widescreen Toshiba Satellite.

Wow man, thats got to be heavy!

In anycase laptops generate a lot of heat....and thats one thing I hate...o yeah then there is also the Battery Life.

My Dad also has a Dell laptop..pretty old though...But the battery(new) sux so bad that
within an hour of playing games it goes to low.

So for that I have to keep it plugged / charged while Im playing...showing it is not portable.

To sum up Laptops are just not meant for Gaming.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

In truth, notebooks are really meant to be plugged in whenever there is mains power available. They're not PSPs and they're only 'portable' in the sense that you can move them from place to place easily, and once in a while use them on a plane or in an airport or some such thing.

Battery technology and hardware power management, however, have come a long way very quickly and you'll find that today's notebooks have much longer battery life than your dad's old clunker.

Bear in mind too that while you're gaming, the machine is working much harder than it might be while dad is trying to figure out his Excel formulas. You're pushing it hard and battery life will suffer because of that.

Finally, you're dead right. Notebooks will never excel as a gaming platform, due to the many compromises required in order to fit everything into a small form factor. No serious gamer would ever consider a notebook over a desktop for the same money.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

My mom just got an Acer Aspire 3610. It's a widescreen 1280x800. I'm typing on it right now and I think its awsome. :D

Return to “The Hardware & Software”