Why is Need for Speed's AA make the game blurry?

2006 Need for Speed Carbon
Frostbite
Ricer
Ricer

Why is Need for Speed's AA make the game blurry?

Post by Frostbite »

I was wondering this NFS seems to be the only game that blurs with AA...
Like it doesn't really make sense since AA just Renders the scene X amount of times (If you have AA on 2X it renders it 2 times 4X = 4 times....ect...) Just wondering...
RavenGT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by RavenGT »

Turning on AA within the game doesn't make the game seem blurry at all. By blurry I think you mean like turning on motion blur/light trails in NFSU? Yeah, blurriness doesn't exist when turning on AA in Carbon.
Frostbite
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Frostbite »

Hallo Raven!

Yes there is a blurryness when AA is turned on...Although it only happens in NFS and not in other games such as Half-Life 2.
Attachments
With AA
With AA
Without AA
Without AA
RavenGT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by RavenGT »

Well first of all 640x480 screenshots are kind of hard to look at. But I can kind of see it. Are you turning on AA from your graphics card control panel? Are you using 2xQ AA by any chance? I know that will use a blurry antialiasing method, it's strange. Just stick with the normal 4x AA

PS Anti-aliasing will resample the 'image' rendered X number of times, it doesn't "render a scene" X number of times.
Frostbite
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Frostbite »

oh yeah I'm using 2x AA =\ since i can't run 4x due to performance issues =\
RavenGT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by RavenGT »

Frostbite wrote:oh yeah I'm using 2x AA =\ since i can't run 4x due to performance issues =\
2x AA is simply two times anti-aliasing. The type that adds blurriness has a Q at the end, like I said, 2xQ AA. Are you using 2xQ AA?
Frostbite
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Frostbite »

RavenGT wrote:
Frostbite wrote:oh yeah I'm using 2x AA =\ since i can't run 4x due to performance issues =\
2x AA is simply two times anti-aliasing. The type that adds blurriness has a Q at the end, like I said, 2xQ AA. Are you using 2xQ AA?
Dunno it just says 2x in the video settings in Carbon =\
The Gravedigger
Professional
Professional

Post by The Gravedigger »

It doesn't make it blurrier, what it does is rids the majority of the screen of the nasty pixelation (the blocky look), sure to some it makes it 'appear' blurry but what it's doing is smoothing out the pixels and if combined with anisotropic filtering it gives the game the look of what the game 'should' look like.

If you just use AA on it's own it will make things look blurry, so slap on some AF also and it'll look a lot better.
The Flying Dragon
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by The Flying Dragon »

use AAx4 and u see ultra sharpness o.o
RavenGT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by RavenGT »

The Gravedigger wrote:It doesn't make it blurrier, what it does is rids the majority of the screen of the nasty pixelation (the blocky look), sure to some it makes it 'appear' blurry but what it's doing is smoothing out the pixels and if combined with anisotropic filtering it gives the game the look of what the game 'should' look like.

If you just use AA on it's own it will make things look blurry, so slap on some AF also and it'll look a lot better.
Antialiasing and anisotropic has nothing to do with each other.

Antialiasing will resample the image rendered multiple times (2 times, 4 times, 8 times) to smooth out the "staircase edges". Combine this with a large resolution to make the "staircase edges" completely seamless.

Mipmapping causes textures in the far distance to look blurry, texture sizes will get gradually smaller as they fall into the distance for performance purposes. Anisotropic will sharpen the textures in the distance, so there are no butchered textures when you're looking ahead on the road. A good reference to keep an eye on are the line markings on the road. If AF is set to 8x (or even 16x for high-end cards), your textures especially the road will be very sharp.
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

Actually i have my game on 800x600, AA 4x, AF Antistropic and it runs perfectly and it doesn't blur and before i saw this topic i had it on 800x600, AA 4x, AF Binlear and it had the blur so AF does remove the blur
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

AA is different from AF.
Dagon
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Dagon »

I'm not sure, but it might be FSAA instead of AA, meaning it basically just dumps a load of blur over the whole screen, giving your computer that 'TV screen' effect which makes console games look better than they actually are.

Return to “Carbon”