Exhaust note through car audio +1Rofl

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
Tunerfreak
Professional
Professional

Exhaust note through car audio +1Rofl

Post by Tunerfreak »

Ive recently installed some rather ok car audio into my car, and I was wondering if there was a way to simulate the exhaust note through the car audio system?

I was thinking if I made a link between the alternator or the ecu or something to calculate the rpm I could find a way to run through auxilery in a simulated exhaust note? Something like a deep version of the alternater noise you get through the speakers when power and speaker wires meet would be an interesting experiment.

Maybe there is a way to caluculate the shutting of the throttle and simulate a blow off valve noise?

Im just intrieged by the though of it all so please dont mark me down for the nutty farm... yet :lol:
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

I wouldn't have any clue how to do that, but my cousin's Lexus has a weird sound always coming through the speakers that changes pitch respectively to the RPM of the engine.
Tunerfreak
Professional
Professional

Post by Tunerfreak »

That noise shoul be from th alternator. Either the power wire is too close to the speaker wires transfering the noise or an amplifier may be faulty. Try pullig you inputs out of the amplifier if its running one and see if you can single out the wire othrwise split up th power and speaker wires as much as possible, e.g. run them down opposite door sills.

Hope it helps :wink:

P.S yes I know the work keyboard is faulty and filled with dust :lol:
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

@Hazmat- that's negative sound I believe, it's meant to cancel out the sound of the engine to make it seem more refined

If you wanna be able to hear your exhaust note, just strip all the sound deadening out of your car!
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Opening a window works too.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

GT3x24x7 wrote:Opening a window works too.
Yeah, but that gets you cold; Take out the exhaust heat shield underneith the body and all the sound proofing, and you end up warmer!

Disclamer- if your exhaust heat shield is anywhere near your fuel tank or fuel lines, don't even think about doing it!
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Yeah, or your manifold might be in danger, which makes your floor fall out.

EDIT: Cold? What is that? Is it something I can eat? :P
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

GT3x24x7 wrote:Yeah, or your manifold might be in danger, which makes your floor fall out.

Its a type of weather you'll never get unless theres another ice age :D
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
Tunerfreak
Professional
Professional

Post by Tunerfreak »

steelsnake00 wrote:@Hazmat- that's negative sound I believe, it's meant to cancel out the sound of the engine to make it seem more refined
Some systems may have that feature, but the sound im sure Haz is experiencing reprsents the sound of the Alternator working its guts off coming through the speakers, its fun but very irritating.
steelsnake00 wrote:If you wanna be able to hear your exhaust note, just strip all the sound deadening out of your car!
I dont want to make my exhaust note more audiable I want to be able to play with it inside the car at funny pitches and volumes just for fun, and maybe confuse the Rexes and Evos with a fake BOV :lol:
GT3x24x7 wrote:Opening a window works too.
Ive always got my window open when possible as my cheap freebie muffler dosn't cut it otherwise :lol:
S2000_Skyline12 wrote:
GT3x24x7 wrote:Cold? What is that? Is it something I can eat? :P

Cold is the definition of where I live... at summertime :?
RVD
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RVD »

S2000_Skyline12 wrote:
GT3x24x7 wrote:Yeah, or your manifold might be in danger, which makes your floor fall out.

i think it's quite obvious you've never visited Holland before....at the moment, there's a reasonably strong wind, with a bit of rain. Max temperature today: 5 degrees Celsius...

and opening a window wouldn't be that effective: when you're driving like 60 mph, the noise of the wind will be louder then your engine's noise...
Who found out you can get milk from a cow, and what the hell was he doing at the moment?
SomeKindOfMonster
Drift King
Drift King

Post by SomeKindOfMonster »

Why would you bother? The easiest way would be to get a recording of the BOV sound or whatever, and just work out how to play it accurately. Similiar to Ashley Simpsons lip-syncing trick. Interesting theory, but still don't know why you'd want engine noise in your stereo. If you want engine noise, put in an engine that will make killer noise and go off like a banshee!

Return to “The Cars”