Computer Help Thread

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
snoopdogg879
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Sitting in a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR Edition that is fully tricked out

Re: Computer Help Thread

Post by snoopdogg879 »

weedman173 wrote:
snoopdogg879 wrote:
just say the laptop doesnt do what i want and say i need one that can do this or just get a macbook or macbook pro and double boot it with both lepeord and XP or Vista because that macbook pro has an 8 core prossor which is really freakin fast
Quad-core processors just started to really come out, there aren't any 8-core processors, especially not in a laptop. Macbook pros use Core2Duo's, which is a dual-core processor.

snoopdogg879 wrote: now could someone tell me how to fix the problem im asking?

i try to watch a video on youtube or something and the quicktime symbol comes up with a question mark in the middle and i have the latest version of quicktime and all the plugins.
i am using a mac with safari 3 beta, firefox, camino, and seamonkey and it does the same thing on those browsers but works fine on IE7.
My friend had that problem on his mac too, uninstalling Quicktime and reinstalling it fixed it.
oops wrong thing im thinking of the mac pro heres the link to show you what im talking about: http://www.apple.com/macpro/intel.html

it say it right at the top or here if u dont feel like clicking the link:
64-bit Intel Xeon. Up to 3.0GHz.

Inside each Mac Pro reside either two Quad-Core or two Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors. Running at up to 3.0GHz, they bring industry-leading 64-bit performance to every Mac Pro.

8-core or quad-core. It's all Xeon.
Based on Intel’s Core microarchitecture and designed for systems with multiple processors, the two 64-bit Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Clovertown” processors in the new 8-core Mac Pro set a blistering 3GHz pace.

and im talking about if u get this: http://www.apple.com/xserve/
which is alot so just disregard what i said before
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I may own a website... but thanks to Bojan, I don't need a server. :lol:
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

weedman173 wrote:I just got a hard drive I bought on Sunday from newegg. I hooked it up and started up my computer, when I boot into windows, it detects new hardware by showing that little popup at the bottom right. The hard drive also shows up in the bios and when the computer is booting up. But when I go into windows explorer to access the hard drive, it is not showing up. Device manager is showing the drive as installed and working properly.

Here's the drive I have:
LINK
Right-click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management ...

Your new hard drive should show up here, but you may need to 1) Format it (Right-click on Unallocated Space, select Format) and/or 2) Make it accessible (If there is a red exclamation mark next to your drive, right-click on the drive letter and select use device ... or something like that, I'm going off memory LOL)
weedman173
Professional
Professional

Post by weedman173 »

It wasn't in disk management either. But I unplugged my cd/dvd drive and other two hard drives, and left only the new one plugged in. Then I installed windows on it, unintentionally. I was just gonna format it using NTFS, but it installed windows right after so I let it continue. then I plugged in my other stuff, and booted back to my other hard drive, and it showed up this time so I just formatted it.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I hate china... :lol:

The Acer (AKA my laptop) freakin broke down... I was look around on the forum here, has Windows Update running the BOOM! BSOD. Restart... boots up, configures updates... login BOOM! BSOD. Restart login... well, you get the point. Guess I'll take my Vista DVD (Keyword: MY - it never came with restore CD's) and try to fix it on the bus on the way to school, get all my stuff off and call acer... I mean geez, it's not even Christmas yet, and my Christmas gift is already broken.

I think it's the dag-on graphics again... one of the updates was a driver update for the X3100 graphics... it went to a black screen, then to the Windows Vista Basic theme (telling me it was installing the update) then came the BSOD. I'll tell y'all how it goes after 3rd period when I get a chance to go online...
RVD
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RVD »

snoopdogg879 wrote: http://www.apple.com/macpro/intel.html

Inside each Mac Pro reside either two Quad-Core or two Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors. Running at up to 3.0GHz, they bring industry-leading 64-bit performance to every Mac Pro.

Based on Intel’s Core microarchitecture and designed for systems with multiple processors, the two 64-bit Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Clovertown” processors in the new 8-core Mac Pro set a blistering 3GHz pace.
Then it's a typing error on the website: 8-core suggests that there are 8 cores on 1 single Central Processing Unit, but in fact, it's 2 4-core units.
BTW: 3ghz isn't that much for 2 quad cores, they are only running at 1,5 ghz per core (or am i saying something stupid here?).

One of the latest quad cores from intel reaches 3.2 ghz, on a single CPU with 4 cores.

this was no offence to you, snoopdogg879, but one to the website.
Who found out you can get milk from a cow, and what the hell was he doing at the moment?
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

Carcrazy wrote:I hate china... :lol:

The Acer (AKA my laptop) freakin broke down... I was look around on the forum here, has Windows Update running the BOOM! BSOD. Restart... boots up, configures updates... login BOOM! BSOD. Restart login... well, you get the point. Guess I'll take my Vista DVD (Keyword: MY - it never came with restore CD's) and try to fix it on the bus on the way to school, get all my stuff off and call acer... I mean geez, it's not even Christmas yet, and my Christmas gift is already broken.

I think it's the dag-on graphics again... one of the updates was a driver update for the X3100 graphics... it went to a black screen, then to the Windows Vista Basic theme (telling me it was installing the update) then came the BSOD. I'll tell y'all how it goes after 3rd period when I get a chance to go online...
Don't install your copy of Vista ...

You should be able to boot into Safe Mode and you can create a set of recovery discs (or reformat your drive) from there using the Acer eRecovery software.

BTW, the first thing you should do when you get a new computer is to make a set of recovery discs.

Either that or take it back to the store that you bought it from and request a new one.
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

RVD wrote:
snoopdogg879 wrote: http://www.apple.com/macpro/intel.html

Then it's a typing error on the website: 8-core suggests that there are 8 cores on 1 single Central Processing Unit, but in fact, it's 2 4-core units.
BTW: 3ghz isn't that much for 2 quad cores, they are only running at 1,5 ghz per core (or am i saying something stupid here?).

One of the latest quad cores from intel reaches 3.2 ghz, on a single CPU with 4 cores.

this was no offence to you, snoopdogg879, but one to the website.
Each core will run at 3 GHz ...

Anyways, yes, the Mac Pros use a dual socket motherboard that will accomodate up to quad-core CPUs, thus allowing for an 8-core system. Just because it consists of 2 CPUs doesn't mean that it isn't a true 8-core system.

As for the Mac Pro itself, it's the way to go if you're going to get a Mac, IMO, but WAY overpriced for what it is.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Jmac- wrote:
Carcrazy wrote:I hate china... :lol:

Don't install your copy of Vista ...

You should be able to boot into Safe Mode and you can create a set of recovery discs (or reformat your drive) from there using the Acer eRecovery software.

BTW, the first thing you should do when you get a new computer is to make a set of recovery discs.

Either that or take it back to the store that you bought it from and request a new one.
Yeah, I looked for a program to let me burn them... but I don't think there is one. I wasn't going to install my copy of vista, I was going to boot into the DVD and use the recovery console to run a system restore. :lol:

I'll look again for the recovery software though, thanks! :P (Now if you could help me with the graphics problem I would be thankful) XD
Frenzy
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Frenzy »

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

PS wasn't letting me turn world lighting on (it was before) so I decided to reinstall my gfx card drivers. I uninstalled them, and it reverted to what seemed to be default drivers for my card (Radeon x1650 SE). I was using "x1600 series" drivers before. When I tried to reinstall them, the catalyst installer said that it couldn't find any installable software, and now I have rubbish drivers and I can't update them. Any ideas?

Never mind. I fixed it.
ImJ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ImJ »

Explicit signature removed.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Yeah, the Phenom's been in development for the past few years. According to AMD, octa-core processors will be out in late 2008.
RVD
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RVD »

i've got a question about RAM. Soon, i'll buy a new pc. Lots of mobo's support up to 4 x pc6400 RAM, but a friend of mine said pc6400 is unnecesarry if you aren't going to overclock, he suggested to take pc5300 (which is of course cheaper). Is this true?
Who found out you can get milk from a cow, and what the hell was he doing at the moment?
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

No, PC6400 AKA 800MHZ Ram has better performance in games and in everything else.
Danyutz
Donator
Donator

Post by Danyutz »

I suggest you should go for the PC6400, you already take a new PC, why not adding new stuff in it. Besides that, you'll have time to relax for a half or a whole year with the memory.
RVD
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RVD »

thanks already, though last night i was thinking something weird: what if i had 3072mb ram?

to be more specfic: can i get a noticeable higher performance from:

3 x 1024 mb RAM pc6400 (kingston valueram) = €75

then from:

1 x 2048 mb RAM pc6400 (kingston valueram, dual-channel) = €45

it would cost me just €30 more, but they aren't in dual-channel (or would it be tri-channel? :roll: ), so i was wondering wheter it is worth my precious €30 :P
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

RVD wrote:thanks already, though last night i was thinking something weird: what if i had 3072mb ram?

to be more specfic: can i get a noticeable higher performance from:

3 x 1024 mb RAM pc6400 (kingston valueram) = €75

then from:

1 x 2048 mb RAM pc6400 (kingston valueram, dual-channel) = €45

it would cost me just €30 more, but they aren't in dual-channel (or would it be tri-channel? :roll: ), so i was wondering wheter it is worth my precious €30 :P
Oddly enough, neither configuration would utilize dual-channel. You need A PAIR for that to work. For example 2x1024, 2x2048 or two pairs 4x1024.

I'd recommend 2x1024. More than 2GB doesn't offer much more performance. Having two memory sticks allows for dual-channel and will offer better performance than a single 2048 stick. Having two 2048 would also allow dual-channel, but would also require a 64-bit OS to be fully usable.
RVD
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RVD »

shoot, i made a typing error: the 1 x 2048 should indeed be 2 x 1024....

i know about the 4gb = 64 bit OS, but why is that?
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

RVD wrote:shoot, i made a typing error: the 1 x 2048 should indeed be 2 x 1024....

i know about the 4gb = 64 bit OS, but why is that?
A 32-bit OS can only support up to 4 GB (2^32) of memory address space, which not only includes your RAM, but also anything else that has memory (i.e. your CPU's L1 and L2 caches, your hard drives' caches, your graphics cards' memory, your sound card's memory, etc.) ... Most systems will be able to utilize a maximum of 3.5 GB of RAM even if the system has 4 GB of RAM or more in the system. So, in essence, 4 GB of RAM takes you beyond the capabilities of a 32-bit OS.

A 64-bit OS can support up to 16 exabytes (2^64) of address space, although most 64-bit OSes will support significantly less memory than that for obvious reasons (1 exabyte = 1024 petabytes = 1048576 gigabytes). However, it should be noted that 64-bit applications also require more memory to run, so even though you'll actually be able to use all 4 GB that you throw into the system, you may not necessarily see better performance until you go well beyond 4 GB (i.e. 8 GB).

The big downside to a 32-bit OS is not necessarily the limited memory support at this point, but rather the 2 GB per application limit, which some games (i.e. Supreme Commander) have already run into and I'm sure more games will follow suit as well.
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

Recommended for Hellgate:London is 3GB though O.o so how would that work out then?
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

S2000_Skyline12 wrote:Recommended for Hellgate:London is 3GB though O.o so how would that work out then?
The game itself doesn't use 3 GB ... They're probably accounting for the 1 - 1.5 GB of background processes that a normal Vista system would have running in the background.
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

Ah, ok. :)
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Vista 32-bit versions can support more than 4GB of RAM. It was a limitation in Windows XP, I think.
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

prince1142003 wrote:Vista 32-bit versions can support more than 4GB of RAM. It was a limitation in Windows XP, I think.
Nope ...
RVD
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RVD »

Jmac- wrote:
The big downside to a 32-bit OS is not necessarily the limited memory support at this point, but rather the 2 GB per application limit, which some games (i.e. Supreme Commander) have already run into and I'm sure more games will follow suit as well.
What do you mean by this?
prince1142003 wrote:Vista 32-bit versions can support more than 4GB of RAM.
Then why would Microsoft even bother to make the 64-bit version.... :roll:

Return to “The Hardware & Software”