Is it unsafe?

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
Tunerfreak
Professional
Professional

Is it unsafe?

Post by Tunerfreak »

I have my DDR2 ram and hard drive running slave in my mothers PC (2.0ghz P4, 1024MB DDR2 RAM, 20gb HHD Master, 80gb HHD Slave, Nvidia FX5200) because mine (2.4ghz P4, Nvidia 7600GS) refuses to start due to either the CPU or Mobo. I believe it is the CPU because the Mobo is rather new.

I want to try putting the CPU from mums PC (2.0ghz P4) into my solteck P4 mobo along with the 7600GS, DDR2 ram and my 80gb HDD (Win XP Home) which supports 8x AGP because mums only supports 4x and the 8x 7600GS doesn't preform well in it.

I'm worried if I can fry mobos or CPUs by swapping working parts into a possibly faulty situation, because I cant afford for mums PC to not go. I have had problems before when I tried my P4 2.4ghz in mums PC as when I put mums CPU back in it refused to boot but the problem was eventually solved by a repair shop.

What are the risks?
snoopdogg879
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Sitting in a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR Edition that is fully tricked out

Re: Is it unsafe?

Post by snoopdogg879 »

you won't fry it unless you put the P4 CPU on a motherboard that isn't for a P4 and the P4 is higher than whats meant for the board, then everything would run too fast and possibly fry the motherboard

are you completely sure that it is the CPU and not the Motherboard that is messed up?

because even though it is newer there could still be something wrong with it

I mean its worth a try
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
Tunerfreak
Professional
Professional

Post by Tunerfreak »

Now I am completely sure it isn't the CPU, as I'm using it in mums computer now, and am quite sure it is the motherboard because I eliminated all other options. I disconnected all unnecessary hardware and then used the motherboard in question with both graphics cards, both combinations of my 2x 512MB DDR2 ram, My hard drive and mums hard drive (both Windows XP), I tried the definitely working HDD IDE cable from mums PC, I used her 2.0ghz P4 CPU, and I made sure the mobo was not earthed on the case by laying it down on fabric.

I am really stumped and I would assume the mobo is still in working order, and think it might be some sort of configuration or bios problem.

What sort of things could case a PC to start (Fans, HDD etc) but never turn on the monitor or boot when everything but the mobo is proven to be operational?

*EDIT*

Woot I got the 7600GS working good in mums PC now, I would still like to get mine running though.
snoopdogg879
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Sitting in a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR Edition that is fully tricked out

Post by snoopdogg879 »

well the only thing you can do is either get a new mobo, which you probably don't have the money, or take the mobo out of the comp and take it up to a shop and have them look at it
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*

Return to “The Hardware & Software”