Just want to talk? Come here.

Serious discussions on matters not covered by other boards. The un-serious type of users should refer to the Can of Spam.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: Just want to talk? Come here.

Post by boganbusman »

Oh man, over here they use normal everday cars as unmarked speed traps. The last one I spotted was a Honda CRV!
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

Oh goddamnit. I'd loose my licence within a week if I lived over there. :lol:
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Oh my God y'all, there's an 08 Tiburon with only 44 miles on it for 14.9k nearby.

Why there's only 44 miles, I don't know. It looks like it's been sitting on the lot for 2 years, because the history report shows no prior owners. I just don't get it. It's coming from Carmax, so I'm sure it's not Bogus. If somehow we find out it is, they have a buy-back policy. But still, I hope my parents see it that way.

Obviously we'd have to test drive it, bring it home, have it looked-over by a technician, but damn. Less than 15k. (It's an SE, btw. That's why that price is literally AMAZING.)

I've had my eye on it for QUITE a while, just because I liked the car, no interest to buy, because it was too new, but with Cash 4 Clunkers my parents said they'd be happier with a lower-end new car. (ADD-IN: So I went back to looking at these, and spotted this one. I was going to call and ask if it was considered a "new" car, but the combined mileage is only 20MPG, C4C has a 22MPG requirement.) The price for a GT would've been about 21k, with a 4500 discount for an old junker car we were planning to get fixed, but that's a long story. This is just about the same price, and we don't have to go searching for an 08 that for SOME reason hasn't been purchased yet.

It's either this, or a Chevy Cobalt, so pray for me. ^_^
(And no, I don't mean the SS, either.) D=
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

The reason why it's so cheap? It's a Hyundai. The best Hyundai of the range, but a Hyundai nonetheless.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

It's a good bargain.. 44 miles? Hello! Even cars (not necessarily a Hyundai) which have clocked about 20,000 miles in Singapore won't be as cheap.

All the best Chris!! :)
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

@ Carcrazy: Cobalt coupe or sedan? Because having a Chevy Cobalt coupe (even a non-SS) isn't bad at all for a first car and is something I'm sure most of us here would have loved, so don't complain.

@ Andre: You can't compare car prices to those in Singapore, which are ridiculous due to that certificate you have to purchase with every car that ends up increasing the price by a good 20 - 50%. My aunt said that a $270,000 Mercedes-Benz S350 was a good deal there when I'm sure that no one would even consider paying over $100,000 in North America.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Porsche-AG wrote:@ Carcrazy: Cobalt coupe or sedan? Because having a Chevy Cobalt coupe (even a non-SS) isn't bad at all for a first car and is something I'm sure most of us here would have loved, so don't complain.
Well no I mean you're right, to me having a new driver in a new car is stupid to begin with, but hey, if you can get new for the price of used, you might as well.

And I mean, I like the cobalt, I wouldn't have picked it out if I hadn't. I'm just not sure I could stand to drive one for 8 years. Hell, I'm not even sure it would last eight years. (The new-driver bit aside, obviously.)

(And again yes, I'm still hoping to make it last through college, which is where I get the 8 year figure from.) =P
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Porsche-AG wrote:@ Andre: You can't compare car prices to those in Singapore, which are ridiculous due to that certificate you have to purchase with every car that ends up increasing the price by a good 20 - 50%. My aunt said that a $270,000 Mercedes-Benz S350 was a good deal there when I'm sure that no one would even consider paying over $100,000 in North America.
EXACTLY. COE. That's the one. Certificate of Entitlement. As far as I know it's based on how many CC is the engine. The higher it is, the more you have to pay for the COE. It's such a pain in the butt.

And not forgetting the road tax too.

Off-topic: AG, congrats on the new forum rank!! Haha!
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Andre_online wrote:It's a good bargain.. 44 miles? Hello! Even cars (not necessarily a Hyundai) which have clocked about 20,000 miles in Singapore won't be as cheap.

All the best Chris!! :)
I also forgot to add that now that the Genesis has dropped in to replace the Tiburon, the Tib's prices will also be quite low for that reason.
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

In recognition as to what today is happy hachi-roku day to everyone
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Ugh. I grabbed the laptop to show to my dad, only to find that the car is "no longer available."

The other one, (an automatic GT, same price,) was sold yesterday. Ain't that a pain.

Back to looking for Cobalts and waiting for the V-Dub dealer to E-mail me back with a quote. (GTI) =P
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Get a Civic.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Or any sort of Subaru. I've heard they're right up there with Honda for reliability.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

xHaZxMaTx wrote:Get a Civic.
Actually, I had no idea there was a sport model of the LX.

Me likes - a lot, I might add. It has an interior similar to the Si, (which was the main thing I liked on the Si,) with the fuel economy and the practicality of a standard Civic. Add in the optional ground effects packages, and you've got a new-driver's version of an Si, with room for that 140hp engine to grow in two or three years.

...not to mention build quality that absolutely rapes a Cobalt, which is one thing I was rather worried about. Throw in the extra two doors, and we've got a car that I'm going to start looking around for. :P

@ Koenigsegg, I still wouldn't mind an Impreza 2.5i, but it seems doubtful at this point, seeing as I can get a Cobalt easily from a dealer I actually know, or that kick-tail Wannabe Si Civic. (lol)
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

Carcrazy wrote:Well no I mean you're right, to me having a new driver in a new car is stupid to begin with, but hey, if you can get new for the price of used, you might as well.

And I mean, I like the cobalt, I wouldn't have picked it out if I hadn't. I'm just not sure I could stand to drive one for 8 years. Hell, I'm not even sure it would last eight years.
You can get a used car that will take you from home to your college for as little as $5000. My friend is currently looking for one under $2000. So you are comparing a very high-end used car to a new car or a barely-used car to a new car, which isn't a good comparison. Also, keep in mind that new cars lose on average between 20 and 30% of their MSRP during the FIRST year. And I can guarantee that a new car kept in good running order will last well over 10 years. My dad's is 18 years old now and the engine is a 3.8L V6 that runs smoother and quieter than my mom's 2005 minivan with a 3.6L V6.

And do you plan on going into medical school or completing a PhD?
Andre_online wrote:EXACTLY. COE. That's the one. Certificate of Entitlement. As far as I know it's based on how many CC is the engine. The higher it is, the more you have to pay for the COE. It's such a pain in the butt.

And not forgetting the road tax too.

Off-topic: AG, congrats on the new forum rank!! Haha!
That's the one. And I think someone told me that the price for a CoE also depends on the number of cars that the government decides is a good number to have on Singapore streets (to stop congestion, I'm guessing). And thank you haha.
Carcrazy wrote:...not to mention build quality that absolutely rapes a Cobalt, which is one thing I was rather worried about. Throw in the extra two doors, and we've got a car that I'm going to start looking around for.
If you can be swayed to buy a car by strangers you've met in an online forum that easily, I think you should do a little more research. Take a look at Toyota Corollas and even subcompacts like the Honda Fit (which is supposedly a very good car) before you make a purchase.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Oh no, no internet purchases. :lol:

I mean, I actually know-know the owner of the local Chevy dealer, versus buying a Honda from out of town.

And I'd seriously rather get an older used car, but hey, it's not my name on the bank account. I propose a car I think that we both like, and then it's pretty much in their hands.

But, I've ridden in quite a few Cobalts, and I don't entirely trust the build quality. Cheapish hard plastics, gaps between panels large enough to drive a small tractor between, etc.

The Civic may still be plastic, but at least you don't feel like you're riding in a Matchbox. =P

Obviously, we'd have to research both cars and compare them side-by-side (not literally,) before we choose between them, but I'm comfortable enough to say it's down to these two.

...I wasn't even going to post about the Civic until Hazmat said something, just because I feel like I'm spamming up the thread with my blabbing on. I just thought that was a little ironic. ^_^

EDIT:
Oh, btw... I doubt I'll be going for a PhD, but I'm certainly going to work towards my Master's degree.
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

Buying online isn't the only way to get a used car, and most Chevy dealers usually have a used car center so if that's the only place you want to purchase your car from, you still have options. Restricting yourself like that just because you can save a couple dollars or want to help out a guy you know well isn't the best thing to do when you purchase something as important and expensive as a car.

And if you're looking for comfort, Chevy should be the last brand of car you look at because what you say about their interiors is sadly true in many cases.

Well I guess then it is up to your parents and if you have already asked them to consider a used (but well-kept) car and they think that it wouldn't be a good idea, so be it.

Have you at least looked at the consumer-praised Mazda3? It's great handling and a quality interior for a similar price and I can guarantee that it would be funner to drive than a Honda Civic.

Well, a Master's should only take 6 years (7 if you decide on doing a 5 year co-op Bachelor's).
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

I thought I already convinced you to buy a Civic? (ages ago)

Corollas are still better for reliability and ease of maintenance but the Civic has better suspension design which makes it nicer to drive.

I can't believe that you would even consider a Chevy or Hyundai. Didn't you want a nice car? If crap cars are OK then buy something old and cheap.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Oh if I could get an Si I'd pounce on it right now. Hell, if I could find a well-equipped LX-S I'd pounce on it right now.

I did give up on it for a while, simply because most Si's I've seen have been severely overpriced, and I never, tbh, liked the standard version's interiors. (Hell, that is where you spend 95% of your time. The other 5% is spent staring.)

As for the Cobalt and Tiburon, it was just keeping my eyes and my options open, for the most part.

and @ Porsche: Staying a full-time student a should still graduate college, earning my masters, in 5 years overall... but it also has to last through 3 years of high-school, and we all know how high-school is. :lol:

It also may have to last through ROTC and a year or two in the military, but that's dependent on where I go to college and a totally different story.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Hey guys.

Been a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIAIKFd8OLU

first vid of my shift test. :D
korge
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

Well, the map is VERY flat. All the buildings have the same roof height. huge no-no

And I'm not seeing any of those giant buildings you made, which looked very epic. :(
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Stereo wrote:Well, the map is VERY flat. All the buildings have the same roof height. huge no-no

And I'm not seeing any of those giant buildings you made, which looked very epic. :(
The point is to test the track layout. Next is to add elevation.

The boxes are placeholder til the real models can be imported.
korge
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

ah, okies. ;)

I assume the map will also be bigger? or not possible in source?
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Stereo wrote:ah, okies. ;)

I assume the map will also be bigger? or not possible in source?
This is as big as I can make it.

This is pretty large for a source map considering the scale of everything.

Anyways, I added elevation. VERY painful to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziyRQAQX9SI
korge
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Good News: my sister has gone to Alice Springs for a few weeks
Other Good News: I get free use of her 1990 Miata/MX-5
Bad News: I don't know how to drive stick yet. But that's why the above news is good. I can learn manual in her car :D

Return to “General Discussion”