Just want to talk? Come here.

Serious discussions on matters not covered by other boards. The un-serious type of users should refer to the Can of Spam.
KammyworldRacerGT4
Drift King
Drift King

Re: Just want to talk? Come here.

Post by KammyworldRacerGT4 »

Aw, crap, I'm late.

Here were some classes I'm considering for SIU Carbondale:
Biological Sciences
Automotive Technology
Asian Studies (Minor)
Japanese (Foreign Language and Int'l trade)
Creative Writing (English)
News-Editorial (Journalism)
Athletic Training

Edit: I forgot East Asian Civilization
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Mmm... auto tech. I'm confused with how the whole American education system works though, lol.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

KammyworldRacerGT4 wrote:Aw, crap, I'm late.
That's what she said.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Zing!
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

baumaxx1 wrote:Yeah, first year engineering is pretty lame. It's all the theory and basics. What type are you doing? You could always try looking at final year projects and seeing if that work interests you (that's what's keeping me going XD + my friends I'm studying with), but if your program's anything like mine, there's a lot of theory until later years and it's by no means easy. If you choose to continue, and get half way through the semester, you may as well finish it, but if you have no interest in it and was more a choice based on $$ and the job availability it's a bit hard to motivate yourself to get through it.

What other programs are you looking at?
I'm doing general engineering, as all first years are. In second year we get to choose our discipline. And I don't think there's a final year project for year 1.

The problem is I don't really know what I want to do yet for sure, and the rest of the faculties at my university don't interest me at all. I'm definitely not an arts person, and all the majors that science offers are uninteresting. I'd be good at business, but business is probably the most boring thing you can take unless counting numbers interests you.

So pretty much I'm just hoping to get past 1st year and hopefully second year will be a little more interesting.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

It never hurts to try I guess, but the projects I'm talking about were for 3rd and 4th year.... although we did build trebuchets this year, lol.
KammyworldRacerGT4
Drift King
Drift King

Post by KammyworldRacerGT4 »

baumaxx1 wrote:Mmm... auto tech. I'm confused with how the whole American education system works though, lol.
I don't get it either to be honest. And STFU Haz.
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

I used windows 7 on a friend's laptop today... How's it different to Vista? I saw the superbar, but it just took longer to select windows, and I didn't really like the idea that much. The XP emulation isn't as good as dual booting, and I'll still need to dual boot for what I need it for. Didn't get to see the performance improvement it gave because my PC runs an i7. It just seemed like a Vista update, which refused to network with my XP 32 bit netbook (unlike V64). Am I the only one that thinks it's worse?
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

No you're not. Obviously it's because it's only been released a few weeks but the first update my friend made on his laptop disabled his Acer's touchscreen, wireless internet and built-in touchpad.

If only the Alienware M15x I'm planning on getting within a couple of months had Vista rather than 7 so I could at least dual-boot XP...
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

I have to disagree. I'm running it on both my laptop and my computer. My laptop used to take at least five minutes from power on to "no more hard drive thrash hell". Now it takes 30-60 seconds. My PC has sped up considerably. Same with the laptop.

Windows 7 is a godsend. lol
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

@Koenigsegg: You can dual boot with 7. I hear it's good for touch screen PCs though.

@Stereo: Service pack 2 improves the slowdown that happens with all that indexing over time. I haven't really timed it, but I'm up and running in under a minute from login usually. Boot takes a while because of my mobo though. It's on for half a minute before it comes up with the post screen warming up or something, then it posts, then checks the raid, config, then goes to OS selection and then to the vista boot. As long as I keep it clean, it runs fine.

So basically, I'm going to be paying 200 for something that should've just been a service pack. =-S I'll see what else comes up when I'm looking at i9s and a RAID config.

Aaaand... I'm now officially on uni holidays till march =-)
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

Looks as if Microsoft just released Windows 7 so that users would be more appreciative of Windows Vista, haha.

Leopard ftw.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

I liked it better before. Works much better than XP. I've only used the 64 bit vista though.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

baumaxx1 wrote:@Koenigsegg: You can dual boot with 7. I hear it's good for touch screen PCs though.

@Stereo: Service pack 2 improves the slowdown that happens with all that indexing over time. I haven't really timed it, but I'm up and running in under a minute from login usually. Boot takes a while because of my mobo though. It's on for half a minute before it comes up with the post screen warming up or something, then it posts, then checks the raid, config, then goes to OS selection and then to the vista boot. As long as I keep it clean, it runs fine.

So basically, I'm going to be paying 200 for something that should've just been a service pack. =-S I'll see what else comes up when I'm looking at i9s and a RAID config.

Aaaand... I'm now officially on uni holidays till march =-)
Service Pack 2 only screwed my computer up more, along with the laptop. A minute from logon is pretty long. Mine is done in 10-25 seconds, PC and laptop. Windows 7 is the looks and features of Vista, plus the performance of XP, maybe even better. My XP PC loads in a minute, actually... >_>

And my 7 PC has Steam, e-mail, and Kaspersky at startup.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Yeah, XP is actually slow on mine... V64 is much quicker. But it is 32 bit. And it's not quite a minute from logon, it's a minute till rocket dock comes up, but if you were to go open mozilla via the start bar it'll open and run in about 5 secs. My AV is up instantly. Live takes a while to login because my net is slow though. But yeah, with a minute I was being generous. As in rocketdock is up, mozilla, msn, and media player (having to sort through 10000 tracks), and the hard-drives aren't being thrashed.
I'm sure 7 will be quicker... a bit quicker... but enough to fork out $200 on a new OS that should've been just an update to the old one and has minimal new useful features, and some major features I use not working properly, is a little disgraceful.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Porsche-AG wrote:Looks as if Microsoft just released Windows 7 so that users would be more appreciative of Windows Vista, haha.

Leopard ftw.
AMEN brutha!
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

I'm finally 21! Yayyy. :)
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

I thought you were, like, 15. :u
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

@Zero: Congrats! So you're finally legal! :D How does it feel? I'm lucky, I only have to be 18 to be a legal adult down under =-P

@Andre: When I built my PC... there weren't drivers for all my hardware: i7920 on a GB ex58 UD3R, GTX260 Gold, Asus DX... and a lot of the apps I run don't work on mac, including the engineering ones which are either linux or windows. I actually never had an issue with Vista... it's the best OS I've used. It just works and is pretty simple to use.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Well, I'm more of the opposite. All the software I am currently operating in my Windows Vista equipped Acer is supported in Mac. In fact, Vista 32-bit is constantly slowing this 1.82GHz Intel Core2 Duo laptop down and never ending BSOD's, almost to the point where I literally want to blow up this laptop. Haha!

But really, Vista is the worst OS for me so far - it's slow, unreliable, and eats the crap outta your physical memory. In Leopard everything just moves so smoothly. I really can't find any reason not to like Mac... for me, that is.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

I have leopard dual-booted with 7. If anyone is planning on building a hackintosh, the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard is perfect, all of its components are supported.

The only issue I have with it... my mouse becomes incredibly jerky 10 minutes in. I have no clue why, gonna try a different mouse to see if it still occurs.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Yeah... I needed grunt for my engineering programs, and you can't build a mac as quick as my PC for the cash. I've only every used 64 bit Vista though and in 6 months I've never seen a blue screen... I can just standby it and it doesn't slow down despite not being re-booted for 3 days. About speed, I don't have another 64 bit OS to compare to on my PC... but I haven't used a faster setup.

I admit, it's most likely that the OS is resource hungry, but my hardware hides that fact from me.

About BSODs... Up to date drivers? Install them properly? Did you get them for the specific laptop model? I've never actually gotten one in Vista.

On another note... who plays guitar? I'm looking at starting to learn and need to know what a good starter pack is?
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

xHaZxMaTx wrote:I thought you were, like, 15. :u
Ha ha. Good one?
baumaxx1 wrote:@Zero: Congrats! So you're finally legal! :D How does it feel? I'm lucky, I only have to be 18 to be a legal adult down under =-P
Feels good, man. 18 is considered a legal adult in the states as well, but 21 is the legal drinking and gambling age.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

21 has already come for me but just recently I finally got my full drivers license! Wheeeeeeeee \:D/

And at the start of December I am moving out of my parents' lame house \:D/ \:D/

but the MR2 is still sick :(
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

What's wrong with the MR2 D:

Return to “General Discussion”