Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Stereo wrote:Meh, it's the most luxurious Toyota. :D
Which is why Lexus exists. :P
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: What car do you drive ?

Post by Porsche-AG »

steelsnake00 wrote:Are older E39's really that expensive? Here a low-milage, late M5 costs about the same as a mid-spec Ford Mondeo, and far less than 2 year old 300C or A4 V6.
They are about the same price as a 2006-2007 BMW 325xi, which is just slightly less than a 2006 Audi A4 2.0T. So they aren't super-pricey, but there's no way my dad would consider a high performance car like that. He doesn't want something too old, either (so within the last 4 years at least).

The Avalon doesn't have the same refinement as a luxury vehicle. It may have many features offered, but it will never feel as good. Plus, we don't need such a large vehicle. My dad wants to look at Lexus ES350s, are those any good (though they do have the accelerator problem)?

We test drove a 2006 BMW 328xi and 2006 Infiniti G35x today, and though I liked the BMW, my dad wasn't a fan of its "sportiness" but enjoyed the G35x the most of all cars we've driven so far. Plus, the Infiniti rings up cheaper than all the rest.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Porsche-AG wrote:l as good. Plus, we don't need such a large vehicle. My dad wants to look at Lexus ES350s, are those any good (though they do have the accelerator problem)?
Ooh please shut up about the accelerator problem already, the only people who have problems with the accelerator are people that can't drive, and have NO CLUE how a car works, sure there is a problem with it and it has done stuff that it shouldn't have but that doesn't mean it can't and won't be fixed.
And if the car is for sale the faulty part will almost certainly be replaced, and if not they have to replace it anyway.

The funniest part of the whole problem is that it ONLY occurred in the US... strange eh? or isn't it?

BTW I do find your original post about the looking for a car rather vague, why? simply because you didn't state real guidelines you mentioned stuff like affordable, but what's affordable for 1 person can be way overpriced for a other or way to cheap, same goes for luxury, and this being a international site doesn't help either because some people mentioned some very decent car which in their region are cheap/affordable, but over at your place are to expensive.
So in a way this might not be the right place to ask for advice, because non of the cars mentioned are close to what you are looking for, am I right?
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

TheStig wrote:The funniest part of the whole problem is that it ONLY occurred in the US... strange eh? or isn't it?
Finally someone who agrees with my analysis on the situation.

The whole Toyota recall problem only occurred with USDM cars. And where are the USDM cars made? America/Mexico. Coincidence?
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

TheStig wrote:Ooh please shut up about the accelerator problem already, the only people who have problems with the accelerator are people that can't drive, and have NO CLUE how a car works, sure there is a problem with it and it has done stuff that it shouldn't have but that doesn't mean it can't and won't be fixed.
And if the car is for sale the faulty part will almost certainly be replaced, and if not they have to replace it anyway.

The funniest part of the whole problem is that it ONLY occurred in the US... strange eh? or isn't it?

BTW I do find your original post about the looking for a car rather vague, why? simply because you didn't state real guidelines you mentioned stuff like affordable, but what's affordable for 1 person can be way overpriced for a other or way to cheap, same goes for luxury, and this being a international site doesn't help either because some people mentioned some very decent car which in their region are cheap/affordable, but over at your place are to expensive.
So in a way this might not be the right place to ask for advice, because non of the cars mentioned are close to what you are looking for, am I right?
That's true. We haven't ruled it out yet, and before we make a final decision we'll be sure to at least test drive it. And on the topic of that problem, some of the "incidents" investigated have had no evidence, meaning some are purposely accelerating to get a new car/lawsuit against Toyota.

You're absolutely right, and obviously I'm not basing my decisions on opinions from this website. I've been looking at local ads, reading reviews and comparisons from different sources and talking to people who live around here in addition to taking test drives to feel th vehicles firsthand. Just thought I'd bounce some ideas here.

And just as a little update, we drove an Infiniti M35x (2006) and though it was brimming with options and luxury features, maintainence costs would be high though we are still considering it.
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

We ended up buying a brand new 2010 Cadillac CTS4 Sport Wagon in White Diamond Tricoat:

The one pictured isn't the exact vehicle we purchased, but the color and rims are the same.
240sxlover
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by 240sxlover »

We note.The car doesn't has a plate.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

As he stated, it's not actually his- just an example.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

240sxlover; Do you actually think before you make posts? I’ve never seen a decent post from you on this forum.

Nice car though, Porsche-AG. I'm glad you decided to buy a wagon, rather than an SUV. :D
Last edited by jacoja06 on 06 Apr 2010, 09:50, edited 1 time in total.
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

steelsnake00 wrote:As he stated, it's not actually his- just an example.
Plus, in my province, we are only required to have a plate on the rear.
jacoja06 wrote:Nice car though, Porsche-AG. I'm glad you decided to buy a wagon, rather than an SUV. :D
Well, it wasn't so much my decision though I did play a role in its purchase. Since we didn't need any extra options on it, we managed to get it cheaper than the base price of a new MB GLK350 4MATIC though. We were going to go for the sedan, but due to dealer inventory, the cheapest base sedan CTS4 would have only been $2000 or so less (in an uglier color, too).

Also, unlike Europe, wagons aren't popular here, and as a result, we own one of less than a dozen CTS Wagons in the north half of my province, making it extremely rare and quite the headturner.
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Southern California in the desert where it gets 130 degrees

Post by Zotic+ »

thats really nice, buy or did you lease it?
Instagram @SupraHKS
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

Purchased in cash, obviously not by me.
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Southern California in the desert where it gets 130 degrees

Post by Zotic+ »

very nice very nice, looks like a good car for a roadtrip, if there were tv's in there. My uncle has a 09 VW passat, it has tv's in it is sooooo crazy, ive put my ps3 in there once, on a trip to vegas.
Instagram @SupraHKS
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

240sxlover wrote:Sorry,i disagree.The 205 of my cousin(that was gone in to the junkyard and traded by the 206)was disapeared when i was 13,but then i may gotted to drive one and see how anoying it was...I was with a really fact to destroy the interior,unconfortable,and the 205 i drived was really in a point of impact.Direction assist?I hitted a bit of 6 times...Well i returned it and was totaled,with a destroyed front bumper and a flyed piece of hood(it was broken)was really a shame to see the car in that state...
Not a good example of the car by the sounds of things. I've had 2 diesels, 2 1.4's, 3 1.6's, numerous 1.9's and 2 Mi16's. The diesel's were reliable but handled poorly. The 1.4's were not that different to the 1.6 and 1.9's power wise but definitely didn't have the handling of them. Thing is the front subframe of the 1.6/1.9's is absolutely stunning. The balance of the cars is close to perfect for a FWD if you have the skill's to pilot one properly. Though you need to be semi-race skilled to cope with the lift-off oversteer that steel mentioned. Hence the high ratings of the car for UK insurance companies, thanks to the number of young muppets who have no idea how to handle them.

They are utterly fantastic machines though. To say the 106 and 306 are bad is wrong though. Both are great, the 106 has reliability issues, and the 306 suffers from being a bit heavy compared to its power output unless you have the GTI-6 or S16 versions. However they both handle really well. The 106 is even more ruthless than the 205, with the 306 being more docile through corners. Both however look a ton better and drive a ton better than most of their competitors of the time. It wasn't until Ford put the wishbone suspension in the Focus that it had a car of equal capability to the 306, let alone the 106/205.

The 206 was an outright failure in road form though. Terrible visibility out front with those HUGE A pillars and terrible handling compared to its elder brethren.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Kaerar wrote: They are utterly fantastic machines though. To say the 106 and 306 are bad is wrong though. Both are great, the 106 has reliability issues, and the 306 suffers from being a bit heavy compared to its power output unless you have the GTI-6 or S16 versions.
Uuuh what Peugeot didn't have reliability issues? even the new ones have loads of problems, but then they are french cars, and with french cars there are a few things you know for sure:
1: Don't expect it to be reliable
2: Do expect the car to be worth less then the raw metal price a kilo after a few years.
3: you will want to have some AA breakdown cover, but then that goes without saying after point 1

Kaerar wrote: Terrible visibility out front with those HUGE A pillars and terrible handling compared to its elder brethren.
I don't think the 206 has that much of a visibility problem when it comes to the A pillars, have you driven a new car recently? cause most of the cars are way worse, I currently drive a '10 Mitsubishi Lancer and compared to the Lancer the 206 had basicly perfect sight in front.
Sure it's a lot worse then the older car, but then 106s 205s etc will be completely crushed in a head on collision.
I know that visibility is very important for your safety, but these days manufacturers tend to go for crash safety and not helping the driver to see stuff to avoid a accident.
Sure they do have stuff now to help idiots who can't drive and don't know how to use mirrors and visually check whats next to the car so they might not crash into a car driving next to them when switching lanes...

Sadly I have to admit I owned a 206 for a while and am still glad I got rid of it, it was a nice car to use, it was a diesel so wasn't fast or cornered well, but then I didn't use it for stuff like that, it was pretty cheap to run due to the low weight combined with the diesel engine, and tax and insurance wasn't bad either.

But reliable? NO, so the average cost to run the car got pretty high pretty fast. after a while I got sick of the repairs and a big repair (something f*cked up in the steering) did it for me... the car had to go...
What I still can't understand is that a modern car has rust issues... but the 206 is know for it, especially on the tailgate, almost all will rust there just below the window.... even after the first facelift.
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

True, I fail to see the benefit of increasing frontal impact safety and at the same time increasing the likelihood that you'll need it!

I have driven a few new cars and haven't found one I like. Personally I need as much visibility as possible (maybe it's the racer in me ;) ) and the current trend of sloping front windscreens with HUGE 'A' pillars is very disturbing to me.

Oh and I have no illusions about Pug's being reliable ;)
Working on this GTI-6 of my Sister's, I am absolutely astonished by some of the design decisions. The top radiator hose alone is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen!

Ah well I never could get away from the handling of them though. The 205, 106 and 306 left me spellbound compared to most other machines. Having had an 1987 RX-7 FC Series 4 and raced an Elise 111R, I know the 205 and co. aren't the best you can get. But I am yet to find a car in the same value/performance bracket as them. Also you never quite forget the first car you own :D
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

True the old Peugeots are fun to drive, the make it feel faster then it actually is, but he who cares, why not have the same amount of fun at a lower speed :D
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Yeah . . . another one.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Nothing wrong with an MR2 or two. :)
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

Sweeet! Got sick of driving the old Civic? :D
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Well yeah, but that's not the reason I bought it. My mate wants to buy the Civic (downgrading from the Corolla I sold to him a while ago), and at the same time I just happened to see this pop-up for sale at a good price.

So the red MR2 will become my new daily, and the blue one retaining weekend duties.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Talking about second cars, last week I bought this car with 2 friends.
A Toyota Celica T-sport 2002 (early facelift model)

We bought it as a damaged car, and used it for parts, the front end took a big hit at the right front wheel, probably hit by something big, like a Tractor or something, since it had damage rather high up (hood included) and barely any on the bottom of the car, the rightside door was also damage.

Soon after we arrived we started stripping the interior to fit it into one of our own cars (facelift interior is black instead of grey (pre-facelift), one of us was there early and already took off the rear bumper.

The way we left the car for the day, with the old replaced interior in the car.

The reason we bought it is because one of us had a accident with his car and needed bodyparts and needed suspension and driveline parts. and the other one was very interested in the facelift parts (front bumper and interior) I didn't need anything, but seeing what the seller wanted for it, I saw a nice opportunity for a profit, since it is the VVTLi engined car with almost all the luxuries and the facelifted version.
And the way it looks it could be a nice profit (engine is most likely sold) and we already sold several of small and luxury parts.

For those who want to know the difference between the facelift and pre-facelift interior:
Before:
After:
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

Wow, nice find. When I first looked at those pictures, I thought you were converting it to a track car. I'm real jealous over the amount of spare parts for the Celica you folks have over there. I love the black interior of the facelift model much more than the nasty grey. I'd love to do the same conversion which your friend did.

I see the Celica also has a fuel door. I need one of those :lol: .

@Bogan: Two MR2's then. That's a pretty sweet setup.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

"I'll see your two Celicas and raise you two MR2s!"

Return to “The Cars”