EA Needs Your Help: NFSU2 Online

2004 Need for Speed Underground 2
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

EA Needs Your Help: NFSU2 Online

Post by Bojan »

The guys at EA would like some feedback from Need for Speed Underground 2 online mode.

Answer to the following three questions right here in this topic.

1. What exactly have you liked/didn't like about U2 Online
2. What features would you like to see
3. What other games have a strong online community.

I'm supposed to send out an overall opinion of this community, so if you discuss this and come up with an overall answer, it'd be great.
Oh, I have to send this out on monday.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

The filtration is the only thing I hate the most in the Online Play...
C8H10N4HO2O2
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada (Yes I live in an Igloo, moron)

Post by C8H10N4HO2O2 »

I agree with that one it would be nice to have one lobby with all races shown (Drift, Drag etc.) maybe just split for Unranked and ranked.

I would have LOVED to just have a free roam mode for online where you can cruse the city and meet up with others in some part of the city for... well an example would be a showoff, you know get together bounce and just sit and chat. Sorta the layout of Outrun Ala. you have to unlock in career the areas first in order to cruse them.

One more thing for now but this is more of a general thing in the game rather than just online. I would have liked to see a media player (like the radio in the cars) where we could play music stored on our PCs (MP3, OG, even CD) and maybe even show others the song we're listening to at the moment, maybe even stream it to the others as you host..... maybe that would seriously lag the servers so I won't hold my breath.

I may think of more later. I need more coffee.
marshallpre1
Drift King
Drift King

Post by marshallpre1 »

i agree... i hate the filtering.... i wish there would be an option to display all games and have a separate column whether there is racebreaker/collision detection, etc...

and since we are separate now, pc and ps2, cant we get mods so teh game will be more interesting? ie. counterstrike, Unreal Tournament... and by the way the US/Euro is such a bad idea... there are always like 400 ppl on euro and 50 on the US version... thats why i only go to US once in a while now and spend lots of time on the Euro side :)
Scousefeej
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Scousefeej »

1. What exactly have you liked/didn't like about U2 Online
2. What features would you like to see
3. What other games have a strong online community.
1. Likes: I like the way all cars are equal... and we have a chance to customize are own cars knowing, the other person has no advantage.

Dislikes: I dont like the chat wat so ever, too slow for me! I hate all the box's popping up telling me, im entering a room with a bad ping... i only have to be told once! And when i view a persons car before a race, i would like to be able to rotate it, as sometimes u just get a crap view. I hate the speed of the online menu's, feels like your computer is under alot of strain. My worst, is the PS2 vs PC play, and Europe vs USA, EA have killed a community by doing this, Very disappointing.

2. I would like to see the world, and all platforms playing against each other again (very much). I would like the whole multiplayer menu's to speed up, it just feels so bad when moving your curser and clicking stuff.

3. Americas army has a great community, rising day by day.... there offical forums are always active! And hundreds of players online by the second...

Just my 2 cents :wink:
wowirace
Professional
Professional

Post by wowirace »

1. Likes: well, i liked that the cheating filters are pretty good so far.
Dislikes: Okay, I kinda liked the filtering system AT FIRST, but as i played more and more, i hated it. cuz u had to specify the EXACT type of game u wanted, and u didnt know where every1 else was playing, and that jus got me pissed. also, there r a lot of laggers online, and although it cant be helped, i jus wanted to complain bout it.
2. I'll tell u one feature I DONT want 2 see: the filtering system. Also, another feature is to see who exactly is online. cuz it tells u the ppl online that r either on ur friends list or the ppl that u have previously raced with or seen...it doesnt tell u ppl who u neva met in a room.
3. other games....hmm, i really dont know what 2 say. although EA has a pretty okay/sucky online "community," i dont know of any other STRONG ones. so, atleast ea has a chance there..

eh bojan, wats ur opinion?
Morty
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Morty »

I haven't played it online yet, and based on what I've heard, I'm probably not gonna rush it either... :(

1: Impossible for me to say anything first hand.

2: I'd like to have the free roam online. I know it would probably be unfair towards the 56K users, but people with good connections might want to be able to play with some higher standards... Just experience the game as good as they possibly can. I dunno, just a thought.
Also, I'd like to have a more IRC type of chat. The NFSU1 online chat was tbh terrible, and based on what I've heard, it's not much better in NFSU2... :(
And oh yeah, I'd want everyone to be able to play against everyone, no matter if they've got the European or the American version. But, since they put different cars in those two versions, that ship might have sailed. And PS2 vs PC would probably not be fair...
3: A friend of mine is playing a Norwegian role play game, called Anarchy Online. It's a totally different game than NFSU2, but there is loads of people online, the chat is more the way it should be and if it was my type of game, I'd probably give it a try myself.

Btw, the main reason I'm being so negative atm is that the game made my computer reboot when I tried to change some settings in the game (I have a too weak gfx)... :evil:
Drewb99
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Drewb99 »

Complaints-

You're automatically routed to the nearest server when you go online, which is basically a sticks's throw backwards from the old system (you could pick one or -OMG- make your own). There's about 3 games going on at any given time, and you can no longer get challenges from a specific person. The filtering system's completely useless too since it doesn't do anything of value that the old system didn't do better and just makes it a hassle to look between different game types. The cars aren't balanced at all (worse than the RX7 in the first game) and I can't tell what car people are driving unless I 'un-ready'. They need to fix these issues ASAP before they go adding new stuff. The only things I could think of to be added would also either be-

A. Downhill Drift Race (racing w/drift physics, not that stupid sliding for points crap)

B. Clan system (clan v. clan races)

C. Ability to use cars from 'My Cars' in ranked games and not just 'Ranked Cars' (another step backwards from the first game)

D. An actual reason to play URL online

that's my $0.02.
influx
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by influx »

Well havn't played NFSU2 yet but seeing as of what I have heard so far about NFSU2 Online, and experience in playing NFSU1 Online - NFSU2 Demo Online, here's a few things I wish to recommend:

- If there's a free roam mode online then there should be a way for people to chat at the same time as driving (e.g. good for movie makers to communicate if they havn't got Teamspeak or something).

- A type of friends list where you can add people so that you can be in constant communication with each other. This should be similar to something like Steam Friends, Xfire, etc. (Not too flashy, just enough information to know if your friends are in a game, or in a lobby (specified which one) and an option to talk to each other)

- A similar lobby like NFSU1 has where everyone can talk (for about 50-100 people - NA Central), see each others cars, challenge each other and importantly allowing more characters in your message if you type something (usually you cannot finish your sentence).

- Euro/US versions should be linked together (doubt that will happen)

- Shouldn't be any filtering AT ALL (for obvious reasons such as wrong filtering may cause you to see nobody online?).

That's about all I can think of right now, will edit later if more comes into mind.

Edit:

- I would like to see the Backspace option to go back like in NFSU1, rather than the ESC option. (for both offline and online)
Last edited by influx on 16 Jan 2005, 03:06, edited 1 time in total.
Grimecent
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Grimecent »

if any one has played halo 1 online i liked the menu in that it would be good for nfsu2
MikeFarrar
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by MikeFarrar »

Drewb99 wrote: A. Downhill Drift Race (racing w/drift physics, not that stupid sliding for points crap)
Initial D style Eh? That would be great, and it will encourage people to learn new driving techniques. Feint Turning, Out-In-Out, 4-in-3-out etc. etc.

Ok here's my $0.02AU :roll:

1. The Filtration system definatly needs to go. Just one or two lobbys with everything there. We need an actual chat system like NFSU1. And there only about 150 players max on the US server.

2. Some new features i would like to see is Free Roam Online, Showoff Mode (with a ricer filter lol) and more Online only game modes.

~Mike
TunerNinja23
Ricer
Ricer

Post by TunerNinja23 »

HATE the filters....I spent 30 minutes online and maybe 5 of those 30 were spent racing...I don't like the fact that you have to have a different car for every different Ranked Race...about the only thing I did like about playing online was the fact that I wasn't racing against an AI bot...otherwise I wasn't very impressed at all...I do agree with the fact that they should not have seperated the US & Euro versions online...just my 2 cents. As far as games with a strong online community...Neverwinter Nights probably has the strongest...the game has been out for 4 or 5 years and thousands of people play it everyday. The main reason for this is because Bioware gave people a way to create their own NWN game via the Toolset. A track-maker for NFSU2 would probably give the game a lot more appeal
Last edited by TunerNinja23 on 14 Jan 2005, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
JEX420
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by JEX420 »

First: the filter sucked and dunno why it didn't show anyone online :roll: and Second: EA should of made free roam online like in midnight club and other games. I really wanted a free roam just to chat with friends, show out your car/suv and just to race around the city. IMO I think if they made free roam online, this game would of been a big hit with a lot of longlivity(I think thats how you spell it :? ) to it. My 2 cents :D
C8H10N4HO2O2
Drift King
Drift King

Post by C8H10N4HO2O2 »

.... I thought of another idea. I would have liked to see a "tag"/"bunny hunt" like race, sorta like Outrun but you had to literally Outrun the "it" car, or the it car hides (bunny hunt) and via chat gives clues to where they are hiding. Turning off the top down map/radar to make it harder, forcing you to remember streets and locations rather than relying on the GPS view.

I used to bunny hunt in real life with a CB and about 40 friends all in different cars throughout the city. Those were the days. And yes I'm old. :roll:

Maybe I'm getting off topic........ :?
Abrams
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Abrams »

1. I dont like that theres no career cars in online mode.
2. URL online, possibly free roam online
3. Games with strong online community: Operation Flashpoint & Resistance expansion by BIS, Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield by UbiSoft
C8H10N4HO2O2
Drift King
Drift King

Post by C8H10N4HO2O2 »

I like the fact you can not use career cars online, then you don't have some CHEATER using all the unique preformance upgrades in ranked.
RebornGG
Ricer
Ricer

Post by RebornGG »

ive got literally a minute to spare b4 i walk out door, so no time to read all replys so sorry if this is repeated.

The point system sucks a duck,

Everytrack and ammount of laps = same 10 points (drift mode)

this leads to rep boosters racing the smallest tracks for 4 laps over and over to storm the rankings.

what happened to MORE points for MORE laps, and MORE points the BIGGER the tracks?

"BRING BACK THE DUDE WHO DESIGNED THE ORIGINAL POINT SYSTEM IN NFSU1"

peace...
yaya
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by yaya »

I hate the fcking DQs
and like some others said, possibly a free roam option
Flameking
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Flameking »

i just wished gamecube supported third party support better so we could have online play up in here.
influx
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by influx »

Wait a minute, some of you say you want a Online Free Roam... When the Demo first came out I thought that EA announced that there DEFINATELY will be Online Free Roam...?

And if there is no Online Free Roam then how did those people making MidnightRunners series play together in free roam (they say they cast online)
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

influx wrote:Wait a minute, some of you say you want a Online Free Roam... When the Demo first came out I thought that EA announced that there DEFINATELY will be Online Free Roam...?
Online Free-roam = Outruns in Online Play.
206p
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by 206p »

u can race only outrun race's
C8H10N4HO2O2
Drift King
Drift King

Post by C8H10N4HO2O2 »

Yup its me again..... :lol:

I would have liked to see a way to create and use your own vinals. Would have been neat to create a vinal and play online with something that no one else could have. Something totally unique like broccoli. :P
^Sparco^
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: EA Needs Your Help: NFSU2 Online

Post by ^Sparco^ »

-I like the messenger system.

-I dont like the reputation system, nfsu1 was better.
-I dont like how I and other users are disqualified 40% of times because we are supposed to be cheating (and we are not) :roll:

Overall: Annoying!
KidZer0
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by KidZer0 »

How about they bring back the cops as in the previous NFS games. That was fun, IMO.

Return to “Underground 2”