Australian 'Hyper' Magazine Reveals More NFSU2

Need for Speed Underground 2 News (visible on NFSUnlimited.net)
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Australian 'Hyper' Magazine Reveals More NFSU2

Post by GT3x24x7 »

The June edition of Australian gaming magazine, 'Hyper', contains a world exclusive interview with Need For Speed Franchise Executive Producer, Chuck Osieja. While there is still much that can't be revealed, Chuck lets more than a few items outta the bag! Here's a wrap up of the article...

Supported Platforms: PS2, XBOX, GCN, PC

Release Date: Fall 2004

The Vision: To take Underground 2 to a whole new level in terms of the experience and how the player interacts with the world.

Free Roam: NFSU2 is set in a metropolitan environment with a city core. Players need to go out and find their races in a huge interconnected world that can be driven from one end to the other. The world is made up of five distinct neighborhoods interconnected by intricate highways. You can drive to any place you can see on the map. Each neighborhood opens up as you progress through the game acquiring more cash and reputation.

Find Your Race: You can drive from a circuit event to a drift event to a drag event without ever leaving the world. You can be racing a point to point race and drive right past an area whare a drift event is taking place. The world is alive and things are happening as you drive through it.

In Game Tuning: You drive to all of the the tuner shops in the world. Find where they are by talking to other drivers. Shop inventories change dynamically and new parts arrive all the time so knowing where to find the best shops is a distinct advantage.

Non-Linear Gameplay: The event system is designed such that you need only drive the events you like and still finish the game. If you love drifting and circuit, you can complete the game without ever running a drag race. Events are also designed such that you can go back and play any event over and over again.

New Modes: There will be over seven different race modes in NFSU2, including all the modes from the original game. The new modes are not yet announced.

Deep Tuning Options: While the performance packages idea is still available, a deeper set of performance tuning options is also available for those with a deeper understanding of things automotvie. The player can buy and tune individual performance parts: Gears, shocks, torque curves and much more. Also, you'll be able to save multiple set-ups and then load them before each race.

Dynamic Environments: There will ba a range of lighting effects from evening light and sunset through to sunrise. Daylight racing does not seem to be an option. There will be dynamic weather effects that will change dramatically while you drive.

No Police: There will be no police in NFSU2

Car List: The car list is final, however the actual list cannot be released until negotiations between EA and certain manufacturers are complete. The majority of the list will still be hardcore tuner cars. EA state that they had to make some painful cuts from the NFSU car list to get the list done and that they'll be going back in time for a couple older models as well as into the future to include a couple cars they believe will be big on the scene in a year or so.

Car Classes: Careful inspection of the mag article by eminent forumer UrQuattro has revealed that NFSU2 cars will indeed be divided up into various classes, as many people have wished for.

Technology Enhancements: While Chuck's not giving away any secrets, he does say that there are a few new visual techniques added to crank up the sensation of speed.

Online Experience: Chuck is stunned at the numbers pf people playing online. However he won't say anything about EA's plans for the online NFSU2 experience.

Where To Next?: When Chuck is asked where he thinks the street racing sub-genre is headed, he draws heavy parallels between NFSU and the Gran Tursimo series. Sounds very promising that he can compare the two favourably, especially for lovers of intricate tuning options.

And that, as they say, is that!! Oh, there's a few screens in the article, many of the green 305Z we've already seen, however there's also a nice looking Lancer EVO8 in there!!

Finally, there'a more than a couple of snaps of these two cars with their trunks open, showing off huge, glowing sound systems!! w000t!! Can't wait for this one :D

GT3x24x7

Source: Hyper Magazine Australia, Issue 128, June 2004
Thanks to MikeFarrar for the heads up too!! :wink:
Last edited by GT3x24x7 on 09 May 2004, 17:50, edited 3 times in total.
BurnBoy
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by BurnBoy »

Please let there be a RX-8 & a BMW M3 or M5!! Brilliant idea with the free roaming city. How will you get from place to place? Would you drive? I really can't wait. Maybe I should build a time machine and go forward to when it's released, then bring back one for every person who is on nfsunlimited!!
I wish!

BurnBoy :D
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Yep, you will drive from place to place. Each neighborhood is connected by a highway system. :)
Morty
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Morty »

What about replays and damage model? It looks awesome, but I definitely would like a replay function.... Hopefully, damage and replay are among the things that aren't revealed yet :D
bronco
Drift King
Drift King

Post by bronco »

:'( nooo police!! boohoohoo!...ah well, everythin else is cool though. we want damage, we want damage we want damage:D:D:D!
nightrider
Drift King
Drift King

Post by nightrider »

i agree with bronco. theres no cops. :cry: that takes away the fun of getting chased after cops, getting chased after cops, and getting chased after cops. lol!! :D and it also says that you can go to markets and buy parts. maybe that means we can get out of the car, but what are the odds of that. its probably one of those cheesy drive thrus. :lol:
Speed818
Drift King
Drift King

Re: Australian 'Hyper' Magazine Reveals More NFSU2

Post by Speed818 »

GT3x24x7 wrote: No Police: There will be no police in NFSU2
I was hopingfor ateast SOME realism this time around :cry:
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Yep, sadly so there's no cops. And no *mention* of a damage model or replays. Yet. :wink:
BurnBoy
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by BurnBoy »

Cool idea with the highways thing in the neigbourhoods. I can't wait!!

BurnBoy :D - Saving all of his money until PES4 and NFSU 2 comes out!!
UrQuattro
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by UrQuattro »

well, while running away from Cops in a Ferrari doesn't happen to often (like in HP), runnig away in some tin can Civic with big muffler is a reality and does happen a lot. May be they don't want to portray that by tricking your car and getting it tuned and than running from Cops is good.
BurnBoy
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by BurnBoy »

I agree wiv UrQ 100% It really is likely to get a cop chase with a common car; like a civic.
I would still like to see 1 super special modded Vanquish on the game that you can only get by completeing everything.

BurnBoy :D
M_S
Professional
Professional

Post by M_S »

i just want the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
well i hope they bring it out very soon. in another 6 months did you say??!! damnit i cant wait that long
MikeFarrar
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by MikeFarrar »

did u buy the mag? if u did can u scan the images? plz i wanna see those pics again!

~Mike
Qyntel
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Qyntel »

really do love the idea of the free world, hopefully u'll be able to get out of the car to talk to other racer and things like that, i love mini cut-scene movies but walking threw the shop picking out up grades would be damn fun
M_S
Professional
Professional

Post by M_S »

hehe. to true m8. and yeh please give us the pics
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

MikeFarrar wrote:did u buy the mag? if u did can u scan the images? plz i wanna see those pics again!

~Mike
Yeh I bought the mag after your tip - thx for the heads up Mike! I'm arranging to get my scanner back from the person I lent it to so I can scan the pics. Hopefully will have something up in the next couple days. :wink:
MikeFarrar
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by MikeFarrar »

How about getting out of the car and showin ur ride to any passerbys and seeing there face. There like "that lucky b*stard"and see hot chicks surroundin ur car. Now thats street racin!

~Mike
M_S
Professional
Professional

Post by M_S »

hehe ture. and just take a photo of them gt
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

free roam .. more cars ... more events ... non linear gameplay ... dynamic tuner parts and tuning options ... *nods big* I'll forgive them if they don't have a damage model and for letting out the cops ( personally I'm relieved by the no cops part, always hated them in HP2 ) My only last wish is for a better AI and netcode ... the AI crushing you physically and taking advantage of the no damage really sucked hard. The netcode really could use some work as well.
jayhan_2003
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by jayhan_2003 »

the best part is u can find the race on ur own!!!
i like 2 drag, so i may complete all the drag races b4 go to other modes!!
this is something exciting about!! (i started to worry if i cant find a race, wat will i do?)

i think NFS U2 emphasize on FREEDOM of driving, r u agree wif me?
HoneyboyUnited
Stock
Stock

Hey, Where're the Cops and Replay dude?

Post by HoneyboyUnited »

:shock: That's sound cool. I luv free roaming but there's still no cops, why? we need cops! streets racing will be not so realistic until there's a cop there :( and the didn't promised us there'll be replay :?: okay, and racing will no be so real without some damage and dirty thing on the car. hope there'll add it :) [/b]
ZeRo-NaTioN
Ricer
Ricer

Post by ZeRo-NaTioN »

omg dis game is so bcoming like Tokyo Extreme Racer 3...like seriously just that thers no neighborhood driving thing.....in TER3 u drive on the wonderful highways of JApan.....also as in the thing bout tuning...its in TER...cars...u can grab euro cars, imports and also domesitics also...but no drags or drifting...in TER...well u can drift if u want wif the various turns on the highways.....but then..i sort of cant wait until nfsu2 comes out.....unless GT4 comes out b4 NFSU2 doez....then ill seriously get GT4...

ZeRo...
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

More Info!!

Careful inspection of the mag article by the ever vigilant UrQuattro has revealed that the NFSU2 car list will be divided into several car classes, just as many people here have wished for!!

Props to ya UrQ!! :D
M_S
Professional
Professional

Post by M_S »

can you please hurry with the pics!?
and car classes does that mena like s class, r class etc
UrQuattro
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by UrQuattro »

we don't know what name each class will have.. I don't know how is that even important! :lol:

Return to “News”