The New Classic Challenge Rules

The news visible on the main page

what do you think about the new rules

good job, it makes the competitions more fair
85%
couldn't care less if it was changed or not
7%
Bad MOVE! I want to use all my skill who cares what others can't do!
8%

Total votes: 61

TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

The New Classic Challenge Rules

Post by TheStig »

As some of you might have seen there are some difeirences in the rules for the Classic Challenges:

The most important is the Editing rule, from now on you are not allowed to extremely enhance the picture or lay-out.

I will show a few examples of picture styling that is allowed!
And let you know what is not and also why!

The most basic rule is that the pictures must be taken in the garage or in the game itself and must be shown in their original background, this means no fancy photoshopped backgrounds or anything like that!

The reason for this is quiet simple: We want people with little or no photo editing skills to have a fair chance in the competition cause sometimes some are really good in making great cars but do not have the skills or the programs to edit the pictures as well as others. We don't want photoshop competitions here, want car styling competitions!

Example pictures are in next post..
Last edited by TheStig on 29 Jan 2005, 03:46, edited 1 time in total.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

part 2

Post by TheStig »

Allowed styles and lay-outs

First picture: The classic layout - one picture from the garage.

The most simple picture style. Not advised cause you can't see the whole car! Also allowed is a full outside picture as long as the car is 50% of the width of the picture.

Second picture: One with two pictures.

Just like the full size one picture lay-out you can also choose to use outside pictures or a combi of outside and garage.

Third picture: The multi layout.

You are allowed to use ingame (outside) and garage pictures. How many is fully up to you, but if you want to show your car well, four or five is quite enough :wink:

Further rules in the next post..
Attachments
multi3.jpg
mutiple picture layout
(72.32 KiB) Downloaded 7823 times
dual.jpg
the classical dual lay-out
(76.11 KiB) Downloaded 7823 times
classic.jpg
single picture lay-out
(71.86 KiB) Downloaded 7823 times
Last edited by TheStig on 29 Jan 2005, 02:32, edited 2 times in total.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Ingame Combined Pictures

Some editing is still allowed as long as it does not change the cars looks and parts, so photochopped rims and parts are not allowed..

What is allowed:

- Radial blur (spinning wheel tool, as can be seen on the first picture)
- Changed background color
- Brightness/ contrast editing.
- Cutting the car out of the original picture and adding it in the other picture
like this: (middle car with scissor doors) http://www.nfsunlimited.net/underground ... =10365.jpg

Small editing like that, as long as you don't change the looks of the car it self!

Of course you don't have to use the exact lay-out I posted but they are here to give you a idea of what the rules and lay-out styles.
Attachments
combined.jpg
combi of pictures! garage and outside
(79.77 KiB) Downloaded 7830 times
full outside.jpg
full outside picture with added editing:
radial blur
(62.52 KiB) Downloaded 7830 times
Last edited by TheStig on 29 Jan 2005, 02:36, edited 2 times in total.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

but since I entered the UWP challenge... my car won't be accepted?!?

There goes my cool background...
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Now where did my post go?
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

the world cup is a all accepting challenge! so your cars are in!

but these rules go for the Replica and other challenges to come
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

oh, ok. :)
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Thanks Stig, I love the new rule... And I hope I won't be flamed for saying this.. :roll:
Flameking
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Flameking »

nice. Good Job on enforcing this.

BTW. That EVO pic u put up Stig really looks nice. I would rated it a 10. :D
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

and that for a stock evo and a few minutes of shooting and editing...

The Replica challenge has a script error!
the challenge is not full!!

we are working on it till then you cannot submit your rides...

so keep building the replica's and submit them as soon as the problem is solved!

our apologies for this!

Nfsunlimited.net Staff
Wolrajh
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Wolrajh »

I for one think it's an excellent thing...
I know how to use photoshop to make nice desktop pictures, but I always thought it just ruined the whole job on the car. It has always been pissing me off to see lame cars on top of the showroom, just because people are that easily fooled by eye-catching pictures! Having that translated to the classic challenge was just a plain pain in the ass.
'Man it just rocks 10 8) ' as a coment on a clowny car with an awesone presentation...

But, I'd say... To make things perfectly fair, maybe you should also ban overbright and maybe enhanced contrast. Mostly because they are also eye catching and, IMHO, they do nothing else but serves as masks when something is wrong on a car.
'hm, that vynil doesn't really suit the car with that color but... Hey, overbright/EC, now it's perfect, the vinyl is there but it's hard to tell what color it is exactly, perfect, that's just what I wanted!'

Well, that just my opinion :)
jemc
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by jemc »

i have to ask something...i've made a replica in U2 a long time ago. i still have it but the problem is that i don't find the original photos of the car. i have 3 of them on that 800*600 picture (i store all my U2 cars). so my question is: can i use those photos on my replica challenge car. the pics are just outlined with white so there's nothing fancy here.
Supra-man
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Supra-man »

this sounds very fair, it gives others a chance at winning that have less of a chance usually. i think that limiting the amount that you can edit the quality of the picture is a great idea! most pictures that are edited make the car look as if its real which isnt bad but doesnt give others a fair chance. hopefully these new rules will even things out for all of us! :D
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

well color changes are NOT allowed!

you are allowed to change the brightness of the full picture! or one small picture in the shot...
contrast changes to one color to make it a other color or something like that is NOT allowed

the rules about image enhancing where made so that people with a lesser GFX can make slightly nicer shots also...

but like I said it is pure small editing!
the car itself must NOT be changed
jemc
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by jemc »

TheStig wrote:well color changes are NOT allowed!

you are allowed to change the brightness of the full picture! or one small picture in the shot...
contrast changes to one color to make it a other color or something like that is NOT allowed

the rules about image enhancing where made so that people with a lesser GFX can make slightly nicer shots also...

but like I said it is pure small editing!
the car itself must NOT be changed
so can i use mine?

edit: sorry, didn't see your PM
sayem
Ricer
Ricer

I appriciate it.

Post by sayem »

I from my heart appriciate you. Its not that i dont like skill full ppl around here. even i also do the same. but in competetion this rule is perfect.

What i'm going to say is truth. Sometimes some pictures comes so good(bless from photoshop and other pic editing tools) but suddenly u may see a terrible mistake or bad combination of the car. than what to do. if u comment bad and rate avarage then u'll be counted as a bad person. So in that case most of us just leave the car or rate high as well as other. But that case nobody judge the car they judge the picture.

So its very good and i think u should bring some rectrictions to showroom cars also. because there is happening the same thing. So to keep the NFSU- NFSU2 a ultimate passion we've to bring some sense to vote the car( is that tuned properly??) not the picture.

Thanks.

Sayem.[/b]
C8H10N4HO2O2
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada (Yes I live in an Igloo, moron)

Post by C8H10N4HO2O2 »

I could not care as I don't judge others.

You can make this car with a combination of stuff you like and someone else will hate it. Its all on the individual, why judge someones personal tastes.

If you like it, great. If I don't, its still great to you. If I like it and you don't, it does not change how I feel about it.

One way or the other, ALL the cars are great to the creator of the cars/pic's etc. Why should I care if someone down votes my cars. I still like em'. If someone want to join a comp' to rank there rides against others then they are inviting the responses. Cool.

Back on topic... Why not just make it "1" unaltered screenshot of the rides for comps. This way it will all be on equal footing. From the n00bs who don't know how to use Photoshop. To the experts who could make there rides look real.

Just my 2¢
^Sparco^
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by ^Sparco^ »

Good job.
Death Ranger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Death Ranger »

well folks, if u wanna flame me, flame me, i don't care
i for one think it's a hell of an idea (a good "hell of a") :)
i just hope this rule is enfoced properly cuz i'm really tired of ppl voting "wow dude great presentation! that's a -10- for u"

but one question remains unanswered... i can't really explain it in words, so hopp by at my garage and tell wether or not my presentation is allowed, cuz i'm doing a new car and i don't it disqualified (i mean the presentation of the celica and rsx)

my garage
TwinAxe
Stock
Stock

Post by TwinAxe »

Ive been frustrated for quite some time over the fect that people judge the presentation rather than the car so you have my full approval on this new rule!

Way to go TheStig!
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Now we'll have a fair & square competetion. :)
Jaka
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Jaka »

TwinAxe wrote:Ive been frustrated for quite some time over the fect that people judge the presentation rather than the car so you have my full approval on this new rule!

Way to go TheStig!
WORD! :D
jemc
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by jemc »

consider about putting those rules in the showroom, too :wink:
nice one, btw

Post by Guest »

This was a good move my friends, now all tuners would be tested in their skills!
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

yep Gucci, that was the purpose!

we want to see if people got the tuning skills! :D

btw if any of thinks it is a bad Idea feel free to speak

Return to “News”